Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not saying it's bad; just that perhaps the difference from well-made KAF4 lenses isn't that big. In reliability, because in other aspects...
Yes, it would be reasonable to expect that in-lens aperture control would be as reliable as in-body aperture control* and that in-lens focus motor general reliability would continue according to historic patterns**.

I'm not saying its bad, but probably no worse than similar miniaturized assemblies in small appliances, personal care, office automation, and automotive. Too bad we have such a short time line to assess the KAF4 aperture control tech.

Steve

* Aperture control failure anyone?

** Has any established maker avoided a failure-prone in-lens AF motor series?

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-15-2020 at 08:38 PM.
02-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
** Has any established maker avoided a failure-prone in-lens AF motor series?
So far as I can tell, Canon's USM and STM motors appear to have been generally reliable. Tamron's USD motors seem dependable too... which isn't to say either manufacturer hasn't had failures; only that this doesn't seem to be a general weakness. I've read of quite a few Nikon SWM failures, but this seems to be on earlier examples and nothing like the scale and early-onset with Pentax' older SDM efforts. From what I've read casually, it seems the Nikon folks have an expectation of 10+ years reliability...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-16-2020 at 06:49 AM.
02-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So far as I can tell, Canon's USM and STM motors appear to have been generally reliable. Tamron's USD motors seem dependable too... which isn't to say either manufacturer hasn't had failures; only that this doesn't seem to be a general weakness. I've read of quite a few Nikon SWM failures, but this seems to be on earlier examples and nothing like the scale and early-onset with Pentax' older SDM efforts. From what I've read casually, it seems the Nikon folks have an expectation of 10+ years reliability...
Sigma had a serious problem for a couple of years too.

I am not saying that the tech is prone to troubles. Today's everything-in-the-lens approach results in product that is at least as reliable as today's camera bodies. Aye, but there's the rub. Conventional wisdom has been that lenses are forever purchases and that bodies come and go. The new paradigm is that nothing lasts.

While thinking about this thread, I gave some thought to the people I know in the local photographic community and it occurred to me that the active shooters churn through their gear (lenses and bodies) fairly quickly will often sell their main lenses when they do a body upgrade. Pentax users, OTOH, tend to hang on to their stuff, particularly lenses.

Steve
02-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We have at home a Canon EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM that still works. The lens is probably my age and it has survived half a year of trekking all around South America with its previous owner, plus apparently a bunch of falls and some banging here and there. The EF 70-200/4L USM (non-IS) works like the first day. The painting is scratched, you can barely read some of the labels, and that's it. I would say they can last, yeah

02-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course, proper in-lens AF motors are also a better solution - at least regarding speed and precision.
Only with tele lenses. short focal lengths or slow lenses (few and light glass elements) can be faster with screw-drive.
Se the FA and DA limiteds.
02-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Only with tele lenses. short focal lengths or slow lenses (few and light glass elements) can be faster with screw-drive.
Se the FA and DA limiteds.
For lenses with light focus groups, the PLM is the fastest solution.