Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
German Ricoh Pentax Online Store lists "Upsell Produkte"

Just had a look at the German Ricoh - Pentax Online Store ...

... they list "Upsell Produkte" - SMC PENTAX-DA* 16-50 and SMC PENTAX-DA 18-135. So maybe we'll see follow-up products for these two lenses.

Maybe already elsewhere posted.

02-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The roadmap shows an upcoming DA Standard Zoom lens... maybe that's being referred too...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
02-12-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
... they list "Upsell Produkte" - SMC PENTAX-DA* 16-50 and SMC PENTAX-DA 18-135. So maybe we'll see follow-up products for these two lenses.
In the English speaking world, upsell products are "upgrades" to less expensive products, like upgrades to a kit lens, which both the DA 18-135 and DA * 16-50 have been sold as for some time. Do you know if common use of this borrowed phrase in German is different? The other possibility is the person writing this for the German version of the Pentax Online Store is more familiar with the English usage of this phrase than a different usage in German. Even if both of these lenses will be replaced with new products in the future, I don't think this is evidence of it. Sorry.
02-12-2020, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me this seems to be just a "You might also like..." list.

Whatever lens you click, they will show you other lenses availabe. No specific ones.

02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

UK's largest Pentax retailer, SRS Microsystems, hasn't been offering DA* 16-50 for quite a while now. 18-135 is still available though.
02-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The roadmap shows an upcoming DA Standard Zoom lens
That could be a replacement for the DA * 16-50 (likely) or it could be another iteration of the "standard" kit lens (unlikely). This line showed up for the first time on the roadmap a year ago and the roadmap hasn't been updated since, so the usual caveats apply.
02-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In the English speaking world, upsell products are "upgrades" to less expensive products, like upgrades to a kit lens, which both the DA 18-135 and DA * 16-50 have been sold as for some time. Do you know if common use of this borrowed phrase in German is different? The other possibility is the person writing this for the German version of the Pentax Online Store is more familiar with the English usage of this phrase than a different usage in German. Even if both of these lenses will be replaced with new products in the future, I don't think this is evidence of it. Sorry.
They don't say clearance sale - so maybe these are simply further recommendations. Guess you and @sbh are right.

I noticed this wording the first time. And since people here on the forum like discuss possible changes in the lens landscape I thought I could post it.

I'm not really interested in successors of these lenses. I hope for wider angle offers in the range of DFA 20 - 35mm DFA and a DFA TC1.4x. ;-)

02-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just had a look at the German Ricoh - Pentax Online Store ...

Maybe already elsewhere posted.
I also look at their site pretty often, and took a look just now and i can find nothing of that sort. What i can see though is a refurbished section where the two lenses appear (but not only) - but that has been the case for a while now.

But i did saw something interesting, and that is a traveler lens kit consisting of the da 16-85, da 55-300 plm and da 21 limited (but i do not know if the price is good or not).

edit: i was wrong, they have no 18-135 as a refurbished lens, just a few other.
02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to lens discussion forum, as this isn't news or rumour
02-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I... and took a look just now and i can find nothing of that sort. ...
At the end of the following page I discovered the wording.

smc PENTAX-DA12-24mmF4 ED AL [IF]
02-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
To me this seems to be just a "You might also like..." list.

Whatever lens you click, they will show you other lenses availabe. No specific ones.
Exactly. For example on the page for the 16-50, they list the 50-135 and 60-250 as "upsell products".

Last edited by ehrwien; 02-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.
02-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

At the end of the following page I discovered the wording.

smc PENTAX-DA12-24mmF4 ED AL [IF]
That is interesting, thanks for the clarification, I find it kind of a weird choice of words. Usualy germans like to be really precise, and they kind of missed the mark here.
02-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Duden, the most influential dictionary of the German language, does not even list upsell as a word. And the German-language version of Wikipedia explains upselling as the marketing strategy of trying to sell a customer a more expensive product or service than they originally requested.

This sense is hard to reconcile with the related products shown on the page for the DA12-24. In all likelihood, therefore, the person who wrote this doesn't have the slightest inkling of what upsell means in either of the two languages. English-sounding terms are commonly used in German marketing for their perceived hipness or coolness factor, often with little sensitivity to their actual meaning in the source language.

Bottom line: Don't jump to conclusions -- it means little (if anything) beyond 'You might also like these cool offerings'.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 02-12-2020 at 12:09 PM.
02-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
And the German-language version of Wikipedia explains upselling as the marketing strategy of trying to sell a customer a more expensive product or service than they originally requested.
I think in this case it is exactly this. Getting a customer browsing their shop to buy two lenses instead of just one would match the definition of upselling for me (perhaps not comparable with e.g. upselling in a car shop, where you'd want the customer to buy a car of higher value instead of a cheaper one; here getting him to buy two cars is kind of ridiculous, but getting him to also buy the extended warranty or a set of winter tires or getting a camera owner to buy two lenses instead of just one? More likely to happen).
02-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember, just check Amazon in Spain to see what new lenses are coming out.