Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The zoom being a little stiff is something that I have experienced with my PLM as well, and if I recall correctly there have been a few more users here reporting that, while others didn't have the issue. But generally that's nothing to worry about. Have fun with it!

02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that those scratches would impact image quality.

But if they do, replacing most lens' front elements is a relatively easy "do-it-yourself" project. Often one can puchase a similar lens that's really in bad shape and is being sold "for parts" that has a pristine front element and costs next to nothing....
02-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
but not enough stiff while zooming out past 55, so I may enter "retractable" range by mistake
I'm confused. You should have to push the button on the side of the lens to go between the collapsed storage position and the usable range. It should have a hard stop you can not go past that keeps you from going stowed to extended, or visa versa without pushing the button. Is this the way it is working for you?
02-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm confused. You should have to push the button on the side of the lens to go between the collapsed storage position and the usable range. It should have a hard stop you can not go past that keeps you from going stowed to extended, or visa versa without pushing the button. Is this the way it is working for you?
Well not exactly, that's why it's a bit annoying.

When it is fully retracted, I have to push the button to go to 55 position.

But when it is in the 55 to 300 range, if I am zooming out, I may go past 55 without having to push the button, which blurs the image and prevents taking a shot. There is a "soft stop" at 55 but it's too easy to get past it. This is annoying, because I need force to zoom in and out (the zoom ring is stiff), but need to be careful when zooming out around 55 if I don't want to be get past usage range.

On my 18-50, which is also retractable, I have to push the button to deploy the lens to usage range -and- to retract it past 18, no way I could retract the lens by mistake past 18 without touching the button.

02-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be operating as designed. It would be easy to blame going past the stop as wear, but why? Did someone not fully depress the button causing it to wear prematurely? Or is there a bigger issue going on? When you say you need force to zoom it, how hard is it? Mine is not a light action, but it's not stiff enough to make me take notice. If you really have to crank on this, then something doesn't sound right. If it was described as functionally working, you may warrant a return.
02-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be operating as designed. It would be easy to blame going past the stop as wear, but why? Did someone not fully depress the button causing it to wear prematurely? Or is there a bigger issue going on? When you say you need force to zoom it, how hard is it? Mine is not a light action, but it's not stiff enough to make me take notice. If you really have to crank on this, then something doesn't sound right. If it was described as functionally working, you may warrant a return.
Well, the seller was getting rid of this lens because he could not get used to the retractable system. Perhaps because it was too easy to get past 55 by mistake? He was not the first user by the way, he bought it from a shop who did not inform him about the missing hood nor the small scratches. Maybe this lens has suffered in the hands of its former owners. But it will get the love it deserves, now. I'm here.

Today I played along that lens, the zoom ring is less stiff (or I am getting more used to it), and I'm getting used to be careful around 55 to avoid getting out of range. IQ is very good, AF silent and really fast, I don't suspect de-centering. Given it was really a bargain, I don't think I should return it for these minor problems.

On top of that, I've found this post :

QuoteQuote:
The PLM is a different formula (14 elements in 11 groups). It weighs about the same (440g) and is WR. The construction and build quality are very good. It extends to about the same length but it folds away much smaller. You turn the zoom ring past 55mm and it clicks into a retracted position. There is a button on the zoom ring to release it. The retracting feature works well for me and is very useful. I think the HD and SP coatings are the same as on the screw-driven WR version - it you are used to these coatings on Limited lenses, it is worth getting a version that also has them.

So I'm not the only one to apparently need the button only one way. That said, I will use it even to retract it, to avoid increasing wear on the mechanism.
02-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today I played along that lens, the zoom ring is less stiff (or I am getting more used to it)
I haven't used the 55-300 PLM, but I have used a number of lenses with "dual cam" zoom extension mechanisms, and they mostly suffer an amount of resistance throughout, or at some point in, the overall range. Often, pointing the lens down at a 45 degree angle when zooming in, and pointing it up when zooming out, will significantly reduce that resistance, even on quite badly afflicted lenses. It's not always convenient to do that, of course, but if you're simply zooming all the way in or out, it can help
02-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today I played along that lens, the zoom ring is less stiff (or I am getting more used to it), and I'm getting used to be careful around 55 to avoid getting out of range. IQ is very good, AF silent and really fast, I don't suspect de-centering. Given it was really a bargain, I don't think I should return it for these minor problems.
Well, it sounds like the key item, good IQ, is there, and you're on board with how it is versus optimum, so all good. I think you'll find the lens a great addition. I've shot the same scene side by side with my DA* 60-250, and the PLM holds its own pretty darn well. And you're right about AF speed. It's fast. I've been surprised how well my K-3 II tracks birds in flight with it. Sounds like you'll be OK - enjoy!

02-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it sounds like the key item, good IQ, is there, and you're on board with how it is versus optimum, so all good. I think you'll find the lens a great addition. I've shot the same scene side by side with my DA* 60-250, and the PLM holds its own pretty darn well. And you're right about AF speed. It's fast. I've been surprised how well my K-3 II tracks birds in flight with it. Sounds like you'll be OK - enjoy!
This is the front of my very favorite lens. Nikkor F 85 1.8 modified to k mount. Don't let a little scratch bug you too much.
Attached Images