Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II for K-mount and M42

A new version of this niche "it's for the bokeh" lens has just been released for K-mount and M42.

Delivering an unmistakably distinct bokeh quality, the Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 II from Meyer-Optik Gorlitz is an update to and centennial commemoration of a classic vintage optic and is available here for Pentax K-mount cameras. Version II of this manual-focus telephoto prime utilizes a revised triplet optical design to produce a distinguished image quality with strong colors and central sharpness, along with improved contrast and higher resolution rendering.

The external design is also more modern, which may disappoint some. It will be interesting to see how its images compare to the first version.

Irrespective of its unusual characteristics, it is nice to still be getting K-mount 3rd party releases.

6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

According to the "manufacturer's" web-site Trioplan 100 f2.8 II | Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses - Tradition meets innovation "This product is currently not available" ... don't hold your breath
6 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
According to the "manufacturer's" web-site Trioplan 100 f2.8 II | Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses - Tradition meets innovation "This product is currently not available" ... don't hold your breath
B&H lists it as "special order". I guess they're assembled on demand.
6 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

999 euro? We have a saying, "stupid isn't the one asking..." - sorry, I kept the strong language, and maybe someone in this big world would find an actual reason to buy this instead of the D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro at half the price...
But, 999 euro? For a Chinese lens pretending to be German?

6 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

How much are original ones going for these days?
I haven't seen one in a while.
6 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Think I would rather Leitax one of Nikon's fast 105`s than go this route. Or for the same money, find a Ziess ZK 100 f2 macro.
6 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Myer-Optix Gorletz Trioplan 100mm f2.8 is a unique lens that can't be compared to the lenses mentioned above. B and H is currently selling it at $999 US. It is 'in stock' in several mounts. However, the Pentax K mount appears to be 'special order'. If you want razor sharp, then you don't want the Trioplan. If you want close focusing, then you don't want the Trioplan. This lens is known for its 'vintage' look, and 'soap bubble' bokeh. It is a specialty lens that is about as far from the D FA 100 f2.8 macro or the Zeiss ZK 100 f2 as you can get. (BTW, somebody is dreaming if he thinks a ZK 100 f2 can be had for $999 US.) I am ordering mine in Nikon F mount (rather than Pentax K) because should I decide at some point to sell it there will be a greater market. BTW, according to their website this Myer-Optik Gorlitz lens is manufactured in Germany--not China.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 6 Days Ago at 07:24 PM.
6 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Nikon fast 105 and the old Trioplan... They are very different lenses. The Nikon is comparable to lenses from today IMHO, and has nice OOF look.

The Trioplan you buy for the crazy OOF area. It can be a beautiful Bubble machine at times.

But to pay 999 for one when you can buy the old M42 ones for way less.

gus

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Once again,
Why not do these with a T-mount?
There is no communication between the lens and camera, no auto-focus, no aperture. Just need a way to hang it off a camera body.
Let the buyer deal with the mount, and just concentrate on churning out a common lens.
6 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not touch this lens!

A couple of years ago I purchased one of these new MOG lenses and it fell apart and was a total loss in the first month! Shortly after my lens failed, the company went out of business! Buyer beware with these guys! You've been warned!!
6 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I would not touch this lens!

A couple of years ago I purchased one of these new MOG lenses and it fell apart and was a total loss in the first month! Shortly after my lens failed, the company went out of business! Buyer beware with these guys! You've been warned!!
!!!!!?

To quote Fenwoodian from his PF review of Version I of this lens:

I have bought and sold hundreds and hundreds of lenses in the last 30 years. This is the only lens that I will never part with!

Read more at: Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm f:2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
6 Days Ago   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought Meyer-Optik was kaput.

Steve
6 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought Meyer-Optik was kaput.
Steve

It was ... re-branded Chinese lenses and all ... but the brand-name and the "Trioplan revival" concept has been bought up by a new group of "entrepreneurs", as yet it's all smoke and mirrors, as far as I'm aware!

T2-mount is a good idea, but extensively reduces the opportunity for profit

FWIW I bought a very clean 50mm f/2.9 Trioplan "original", mounted on a very clean Exa body, just a couple of weeks ago on eBay for £30. The "asking prices" from the dreamers out there are significantly higher, but if using eBay as a guide, you need to filter the sold items by "Auction" to find the "real" market prices

As written elsewhere, if anyone wants to experience the "triplet effect", aka "soap-bubble bokeh", a Domiplan or Meritar, even a re-mounted Reomar, will provide the effect at a "sensible" price
6 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
As written elsewhere, if anyone wants to experience the "triplet effect", aka "soap-bubble bokeh", a Domiplan or Meritar, even a re-mounted Reomar, will provide the effect at a "sensible" price
This was my point; you could have a bubble lens made in the era when this was more acceptable for a whole lot less. My suggestions were made with the thinking that I would rather have a good all-around lens of same or similar focal length and not bother with this thing at all.
5 Days Ago   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what its worth, I think its harder to get a bubble lens at longer focal lengths. I have a 24mm Spiratone lens that effortlessly produces bubble fields. I have seen very few lenses in the 100mm range or higher that can do this. There is also the quality of the bubbles, since all are not alike. While the Zenitar 50mm .95 has had a lot of really bad press, weighs a ton and costs a lot, it does produce spectacular bubble fields. From Alexandra Bochkareva.