Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #1

Help with First Vintage Lenses!

I have the opportunity to acquirethree vintage lenses.
- Fujinon 55mm F1.9, M42 mount
- Promaster Spectrum 7,35mm-70mm, P/K - AR mount
- Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9,M42 Mount

Is the Promaster a viablelens to use with a Pentax DSLR? I seethat the tab on the mount extends farther around than on my other Pentax lenses. I couldn't find anything in the data baseabout this lens.

I know the Fujinon needs tohave the aperture pin depressed. Seemspeople either use super glue or grind it off. Is this the accepted practice formodification?

The Super Tak has a pinsticking out the back. Is this normaland acceptable for use with a standard M42-PK adapter? Does it need special consideration?

There was a Fujica adapterscrewed onto the back of the SuperTak. It has a lever that seems to depress the pin in the back. Anyone know anything about this adapter? Should I get a standard M42-PK mount for theTak and Fujinon?

See Below images.

Any words of advice areappreciated.

Mike

Attached Images

02-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have 2 promaster p/k mount and they are fine.....

an m42 to k mount will did you fine.....if they have an auto/manual switch....place in manual position

I have used masking tape to hold down the pin on auto only m42 lenses....in particular yashinon as most that I have of them are auto only...…I won't use glue because of the m42 film bodies I can use
02-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Takumar has an A/M switch. No need to keep the pin pressed down. Set the switch to A (A shoukd be visible) set the aperture and focus while the aperture is open. Then switch to M and the aperture will stop down (viewfinder gets darker) The hit the green button for exposure if you're using M mode. You can also use optcal preview to turn the meter on and set the exposure with the edial.
02-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the A/R is a Ricoh mount or at least this thread said it was a Ricoh mount. It looks like it might require surgery as there seems to be an element of risk with the lens getting stuck. Good luck.

02-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

aye! the Ricoh pin!! yeh that can be a real booger.....it can get stuck in the AF screw hole and get stuck on the mount.....some doctoring in removing the pin will avoid that issue
02-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the OP might want to review this article:

QuoteQuote:
Third Party Variants of the K-mount

Pentax made the original "K" mount available for other camera manufacturers to adopt. The goal was to create a universal standard bayonet mount much like the M42 screw mount had been. Ricoh, Chinon, and others produced cameras and lenses with the "K" mount. Unfortunately, with the introduction of the "KA" mount, Pentax reversed the decision with the result that the other manufacturers either abandoned the "K" mount or developed their own, somewhat incompatible, enhancements. Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for:

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. . . .

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
02-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
Aaron28,
The Promaster shows a P/K-AR mount. I wasn't sure if it is the same as a standard P/K Mount. I tried to mount it but stopped when there was some resistance. I believe because the tab extends around further and seems slightly taller. Are yours P/K-AR mounts?

boriscleto,
Thanks for the reply. Glad to know I don't have to perform any type of surgery like some do on the Fujinon.

---------- Post added 02-16-20 at 10:05 PM ----------

kernos, aslyfox,

More good information, thanks.

02-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lots of friendly folks and knowledge can be found here at the forums
02-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hikerwny Quote
The Promaster shows a P/K-AR mount.
took a look and they are pk only....no indication otherwise and no 'pin' or pin hole......sorry my mistake

good thing you stopped before mounting as that 'pin' can cause the lens to get stuck......it freaked me out when I had it happen....don't even remember the lens but will never forget that damn pin.......
02-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Ricoh pin looks like the kind that retracts when the lens is not set to A. I have a Kobori made Vivitar that has a tiny little P pin that retracts, not a problem. The pins that are trouble are flat sided and stick up about a mm. I can see from the photo that it isn't the later wide nub that isn't dangerous.
02-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Promaster is likely a rebadged Tamron, it would be ok and removing the Ricoh pin is easy, but a much better option is the Pentax-F 35-70, which is excellent, and can be found very cheap.
02-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I use a bag-full of Fujinon 42-screw lenses, mostly left-overs from my film days.

In answer to the OP's questions, yes, the aperture pin needs to be held "depressed" if you want to be able to close the aperture. Don't grind it off, it needs to be held in to activate the aperture. On some lenses you can "get at" the "works" and fit a plastic collar on the pin inside the mount to keep the mechanism activated, this is reversible, on others it's far easier just to put a drop of super-glue on the pin and hold it in place 'till it sets, which is my preferred route. Do note, use an applicator such as the tip of a cocktail stick or thin screwdriver to apply a small single drop of adhesive, don't risk approaching the back of your lens with a whole bottle of glue which may just decide to choose that moment to dispense an excess Do note, this procedure is not necessary on the Pentax (or any other M42 lens) which has an a/m switch.

Also, unless the Fujinon is an early model without the feature, there is an aperture-coupling lug on the rear of the aperture ring which needs to be ground/filed off if the lens is to be used on a Pentax DSLR and you wish to retain infinity focussing. If not, the lens won't screw completely flush with the body AND the aperture ring will jam against the body, preventing it's adjustment!

The Fujica adaptor is of no use to you on a Pentax. This particular model, the "XD", is adjustable and allowed one to use any auto-aperture 42-screw lens, not just Fujinons, in auto-aperture shutter-priority mode on the AX5 camera, possibly the only combination that allowed this functionality with the older lenses!

I'd recommend the acquisition of a genuine Pentax 42mm-PK adaptor if at all possible. Much better made than some after-market look-alikes which have been known to jam onto the camera body!
02-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR mount is Konica.
02-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
AR mount is Konica.
Yep but PK A/R is Ricoh and sorta compatible with surgery for Pentax. Almost bought a Konica lens once but a bit of last minute research saved the day.
02-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hikerwny Quote
Aaron28,
The Promaster shows a P/K-AR mount. I wasn't sure if it is the same as a standard P/K Mount. I tried to mount it but stopped when there was some resistance. I believe because the tab extends around further and seems slightly taller. Are yours P/K-AR mounts?

boriscleto,
Thanks for the reply. Glad to know I don't have to perform any type of surgery like some do on the Fujinon.
If the tab extends beyond the arc of a Pentax lens, it may foul the SDM contacts (5 o'clock on the mount). This was a common problem with 3rd party lenses built before the Z-1 appeared (the contacts were then used for the PowerZoom lenses).

Any Ricoh pin would concern me.