Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M42 adapter problems

I bought am M42 adapter to attach the Super Takumar 55 which came with the Spotmatic I won in the December draw to my KP.Before it arrived I read an article referring to possible problems with cheaper adapters getting stuck on the camera body.As a precaution I’ve removed the spring from the adapter.Anyone else had experience of these things?
Thanks.

02-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Removing the spring is a good start. A good adapter will mount flush with the mount surface. A bad adapter has a flange that sits on top of the mount surface. This type won't allow infinity focus.
02-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I sorta remember something about this topic. I sorta remember it was more about a lens getting stuck on the camera, but it's been a while. Sorry, not much help on this although, I have always used Pentax original M43 adapters on my cameras, perhaps because of the potential problem with cheaper adapters. However, search the site, I know this has been discussed a lot here in years past.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this at the moment.
02-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best precaution is to get the original one!

02-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The best precaution is to get the original one!
Yeah,but I’m a cheapskate
02-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Yeah,but I’m a cheapskate
I just had a look, I bought mine, a genuine Pentax one, half a year ago for 25€. I figured that the 10 or 15€ that it costs more than third party ones I can save on not having to disassemble a lens that gets stuck on the camera. But it has almost tripled in price since then, at least on Amazon where i bought it then, and it's not under 50€ everywhere else - yikes!
02-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I just had a look, I bought mine, a genuine Pentax one, half a year ago for 25€. I figured that the 10 or 15€ that it costs more than third party ones I can save on not having to disassemble a lens that gets stuck on the camera. But it has almost tripled in price since then, at least on Amazon where i bought it then, and it's not under 50€ everywhere else - yikes!
Yep,the official Pentax one is £50 here,for something I just wanted to e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶i̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ play with it didn’t seem worthwhile, hence the caution when using a more cost effective product!

02-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The "flanged" adaptors, that don't allow infinity focus, don't have a spring latch, so no problem there. Once fitted they just click on and off the camera by using the lens release button on the camera Very convenient if being used in conjunction with a macro lens where infinity focus wouldn't normally be needed.

I had a "third-party" adaptor jam completely on one camera. I ended having to unscrew the mount from the body so's I could get at the back of it to jiggle it off! If you end up needing to do this, lay the camera body on it's back and keep it there whilst removing the lens mount very slowly and carefully, else all the little electrical pins and their associated springs jump out !! If I was ever tempted to use a third-party adaptor again I'd definitely remove the spring-latch first. Fortunately, I have two Pentax originals, so that scenario is unlikely to occur
02-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
As a precaution I’ve removed the spring from the adapter.Anyone else had experience of these things?
This is only required on almost all non-Pentax (regardless of whether they are cheap). I switched to using the genuine Pentax after getting a generic (sold as Bower, but white box) stuck on one of my film SLRs.

Steve
02-18-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I figured that the 10 or 15€ that it costs more than third party ones I can save on not having to disassemble a lens that gets stuck on the camera.
Ummmm...the lens comes off easily enough (turn anti-clockwise and off it comes), it is the adapter that gets stuck due to not engaging properly with the lock mechanism on the body.

Steve
02-18-2020, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a perennial qq, I dug to find this thread:

M42 adapter rings review - PentaxForums.com

Would be good to make st like this a sticky somewhere...
02-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...the lens comes off easily enough (turn anti-clockwise and off it comes), it is the adapter that gets stuck due to not engaging properly with the lock mechanism on the body.
Oh yeah that makes sense, must have confused it with the Ricoh pin fault. But that'd be even worse, having the adapter stuck to the camera and having to fiddle with an open mount Either way, a risk I was not willing to take for saving 15 bucks, but at current prices I would have considered a non-genuine one much more seriously
02-18-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
This is a perennial qq, I dug to find this thread:

M42 adapter rings review - PentaxForums.com

Would be good to make st like this a sticky somewhere...
Agreed!

A note regarding the Kipon, while I have not heard of any getting stuck, there are potential issues with SMC/S-M-C Takumar where the "shelf" interferes with the a projection on the lens rear preventing full insertion of the adapter with loss of infinity focus.

Steve
02-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed!

A note regarding the Kipon, while I have not heard of any getting stuck, there are potential issues with SMC/S-M-C Takumar where the "shelf" interferes with the a projection on the lens rear preventing full insertion of the adapter with loss of infinity focus.

Steve
Well my Kipon is duly stuck, but its stuck on an ACB bricked K-30 so it doesn't matter. It is really handy if you have a lot of German and Russian m42 lenses to not have to perform surgery, but not everyone has a permanent m42 camera.
02-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input.From what I've read so far I don't think I'll be reinstating the spring on the cheap adapter any time soon