Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good Value Zoom WR Recommendations

I feel currently I am lacking just one focal length, and its not a fl I will use that often so I need something affordable for those rare occasions I might actually need to draw upon it. For those of you that don't know I do some paid work, but its typically in the event fray (weddings and such) and I have not really felt the need to go for anything longer than the FA77 (or I might put the FA77 on my KP for additional mp reach). I do however do landscape stuff and wildlife occasionally.

A wonderful friend loaned me the DA* 60-250 recently, it's been fun but I am seeing a couple of things that are putting me off from taking it off his hands;

1) Price
2) AF feels slow. Perhaps I am spoiled with screw drive lenses but they feel quicker to lock on despite being louder

I have a K-1 and a KP, and thus far for events, should it rain, I only have a HD DA 20-40. I find that's a wonderful lens and quite usable for what I do on the K-1, so if there was a cheaper WR zoom to pair with it I think that would be great. So far it seems these following zooms are my real only choice if I am to avoid SDM and keep the costs down;

- DA 50-200/4-5.6, 285g 7.84 rating, no FF compatibility, $170USD,
- DA L 50-200 /4-5.6, 235g, 9.10 rating, no FF compatibility, Sold in Kits.

^ Confused how these two lenses get such a different rating, is the kit one (L) really that much better?

- HD DA 55-300/4-5.8, 450g, 8.55 rating, some FF compatibility, $326
- HD DA 55-300/f.5-6.3 PLM, 442g, 8.79 rating, poor FF compatibility, $366

I am curious to know the difference between PLM and Screwdrive. Is PLM faster, slower? The two lenses seem close in terms of fl coverage and aperture, yet one seems to be significantly poorer for FF coverage compared to the other?

I think those are the lenses I am now looking at, currently the DA L 50-200 and HD DA 55-300 (non PLM) are the forerunners, they both have pros and cons. One is cheap but has no FF coverage, the other has some FF coverage and is also longer, I'm quite optimistic about the idea of using it on the K-1 at 200-300 and getting no issues around f11!

So yeah, just looking for anyone to weigh in here with their opinions and thoughts about these lenses.

TIA!

BB

02-29-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you read the owners reviews and in depth reviews for the lenses you are looking at yet

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE
Focusing
The HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5–6.3 ED PLM WR RE is the first lens in brand history to use a pulse motor for autofocus, so we were especially interested to find out if it's a serious improvement over the DC and SDM lenses that came before. (Not to mention the ancient screw-drive motor in this lens's predecessor.) Read on for our full findings!

Autofocus
In our testing, the new PLM autofocus system was both faster and quieter than the old screw-drive motor in the original 55-300mm lens. It is also quicker than comparable DC and SDM lenses, and it’s just as silent as those lenses, as well.

If you're shooting portraits, landscapes, and other still subject matter, the 55-300mm PLM will focus with startling speed and absolutely zero hunting. Performance seems to be consistent across the full range of focal lengths, with no dropoff at the longest zoom setting. While you can feel the lens motor working through your fingertips, you'll have a hard time hearing it. On the whole, it's a massive step up from screwdrive lenses, and a decent leap from DC models, too.

Unfortunately, as fast and accurate as it is, the PLM motor doesn't address most of Pentax’s other issues with autofocus. Action photographers will still have plenty to complain about here because of the in-body AF system. . .

Autofocus Speed
As mentioned, the 55-300mm PLM is exceptionally speedy when focusing on static subjects. We've prepared a quick demonstration video to show how much faster it is than the old, screw-drive 55-300mm lens:

Manual Focus
Like most other DA lenses, the 55-300mm PLM features Quick Shift focusing, for immediate manual override. It's not particularly handy for action shooting of the type described above, but if you're shooting slow-moving or static subjects and not getting the results you want from the AF system, you can simply turn the focusing ring to DIY it.

You can also put your body in manual focusing mode and use the ring, full-stop. However, like other AF lenses, the DA 55-300mm PLM's focusing ring doesn't provide very good accuracy or much tactile feedback. It's loose and imprecise compared to a film-era manual lens. The ring's placement near the lens mount is also slightly less convenient than the front-placement on other lenses, though personal taste may vary.

Remember that regardless of which method you choose, since the 55-300mm PLM focuses by wire, your camera has to be on for any kind of focusing to work. . . .

Verdict
While it may not be enough to bring Pentax up to par with competitors like Canon and Nikon—particularly when it comes to action photography and video—the HD DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE is the quickest and most sure-footed Pentax zoom to date, and a big step forward for the brand as a whole. We hope to see this focusing technology proliferate across the entire lens lineup in the coming years. . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

as you noted, none of the DA 55 - 300 nor the 50-200 seems to be good for full frame sensor camera bodies

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-lenses.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-29-2020 at 03:27 AM.
02-29-2020, 03:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe sacrifice the funds form a wedding for the new 70-210?
02-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
have you read the owners reviews and in depth reviews for the lenses you are looking at yet

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

as you noted, none of the DA 55 - 300 nor the 50-200 seems to be good for full frame sensor camera bodies

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
Thanks for that, I had no idea the PLM focuses so differently to all the other lenses. Is it the only PLM lens in Pentax's line up? What's the deal? Why is this kind of focusing system not used more often? Instant, silent?! It looks great!

The HD 55-300 actually seems to have some pretty decent FF coverage. Both 200 and 300mm are classed as A rating at f11. 200mm is classed B at f5.6, so it might be pretty decent at f8 as well...

It seems a toss up between some FF coverage vs that super speed AF and just stick with it on the KP...

02-29-2020, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bruce,I have the non PLM 55-300 ,on my old K5ii it used to hunt around noisily when seeking focus but this has improved significantly since shifting to a KP to the extent I have discarded the idea of replacing it with a PLM for now.I was pleased with the IQ on the K5ii and it is obviously even better on the KP.There are a few images at post #1940 here:

Post Your Best KP Shots - Page 130 - PentaxForums.com
02-29-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for that, I had no idea the PLM focuses so differently to all the other lenses. Is it the only PLM lens in Pentax's line up? What's the deal? Why is this kind of focusing system not used more often? Instant, silent?! It looks great!...

QuoteQuote:
DC, PLM or SDM: Lenses with the DC, PLM or SDM designation feature a built-in autofocus motor. Newer cameras (K100D Super, K10D, and later) will take advantage of this motor and not use the screw-drive mechanism.

Some DA lenses are DC/SDM-Only (KAF3 mount), such as the smc PENTAX-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM prime lens and smc PENTAX-DA 17-70mm F4 zoom lens. These lenses lack the traditional screw drive autofocus coupler and will therefore only autofocus on the K10D, K100D Super, and newer Pentax cameras.

DA lenses with the PLM motor (KAF4 mount) has no provision for screw drive autofocus. They also have no mechanical linkage for stopping down the aperture and can therefore only be used on cameras supporting electronic aperture stop down (K-50/K-S1/K-S2/K-3/K-3 II/K-1 with firmware update, or newer).
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
02-29-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

d fa 28-105...not ideal...maybe the lowest wr available after that $$$$ for FF.....of course many options aps-c

02-29-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
^ Confused how these two lenses get such a different rating
Because user ratings for comparing one lens to another are meaningless and more likely to mislead. Common sense is that they are simply an indication of how a statistically insignificant number of people felt about their lens and how they wished others to feel. I am thankful that people take the time to write about their experience and how they feel, but I know enough to realize that it is foolish to rely on their numeric quantifications to compare one lens to another.
02-29-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

The PLM is actually quite decent on FF. And is fast and silent. I thought you were just posting to allow folks to let others know about the PLM when you asked on FB. It as much better than the price IQ-wise.
02-29-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
^ Confused how these two lenses get such a different rating, is the kit one (L) really that much better?

Depends on the version. The DA could be either the I version or the II. The DA L is based on the II version which is an enhanced version. Besides the AL segment there is also an ED segment incorporated. Gives sharper results with a little bit less distortions. The weight loss is due to the plastic bayonet and the lack of the quick shift focus-system.
No, you are talking about the 18-55. OP is talking about 50-200, and there is only one optical formula for these, despite having four versions of this lens. DA, DA WR, DA-L and DA-L WR. The DA-L are using a plastic mount, and do not include Quick Shift, Hood or distance scale.

DA-L is better scored probably, because of better value on the used market. I don't see any other reason.
02-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The various DA 50-200 versions are not very popular and therefore should be cheap used. I have the regular WR version and I think it's fine. I haven't directly compared it to anything except an SMC Pentax-F 70-210. It was a tie except the DA had some minor vignetting and only 6 aperture blades. The DA is compact, light and uses 49mm filters. I figure in rain or mist, 200mm is enough reach. It fits in a larger pocket.

I just bought a used HD DA 55-300 WR, not the PLM version. These are cheap used as people upgrade. I resisted the 55-300 for all versions because the 50-200 was working for me. This was an impulse buy just to see whether I'm right, plus the price was hard to resist. Initially I like it, it seems big compared to the 50-200, and it might be sharper. It won't seem big next to the DA* 60-250. I intend to test them but not sure when.
02-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
No, you are talking about the 18-55. OP is talking about 50-200, and there is only one optical formula for these, despite having four versions of this lens. DA, DA WR, DA-L and DA-L WR. The DA-L are using a plastic mount, and do not include Quick Shift, Hood or distance scale.

DA-L is better scored probably, because of better value on the used market. I don't see any other reason.
Bertrand3000 is right! I got confused. So I deleted this wrong information.
02-29-2020, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop worrying about full frame compatibility and get the 55-300 PLM.

It's a crop lens - use it on the KP
02-29-2020, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 55 - 300 is brilliant on the KP. I did have the 50 - 200 for a while but found it pretty underwhelming, and it felt cheaply made. By contrast the 55 - 300 feels solid and well made. That would be my pick.

Last edited by carlb; 02-29-2020 at 02:48 PM.
02-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
d fa 28-105...not ideal...maybe the lowest wr available after that $$$$ for FF.....of course many options aps-c
yeah, I feel 105 is not long enough so I resisted the 28-105. Instead I opted for the HD DA 20-40 for some WR goodness (and filling a bit of a gap for my wider angle group shots). My main lens list is;

DA 12-24 (FF compatible 20-24mm)
HD DA 20-40 (30-60 equiv on FF, but I do use it a lot on K-1 so it is kinda 25-35mm usable)
F28 (soon to be sold)
FA43
FA77

And that's it really.

I've resisted getting a FA31 to complete my trio, just because it's so expensive, instead those funds went on the HD DA 20-40 in case it is a wet event.

I now feel I would like something on the longer side, but I also know it's not a big part of my photography so I don't like to spend too much. It's funny that I don't batter an eye lid when it comes to spending $900AUD on a FA77 (because I know it will be used a tonne!) however spending the same kinda cash on a zoom feels awful.

Really I would like a second WR lens to compliment the 20-40 but this time something with longer reach and can be used for some occasional wildlife snaps.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The PLM is actually quite decent on FF. And is fast and silent. I thought you were just posting to allow folks to let others know about the PLM when you asked on FB. It as much better than the price IQ-wise.
Are you meaning in crop mode? I thought the compatibility chart really slammed the PLM version in FF mode?

Would LOVE to see some test shots?

---------- Post added 03-01-20 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Stop worrying about full frame compatibility and get the 55-300 PLM.

It's a crop lens - use it on the KP
For awhile Sandy I was trying to build a crop lens collection that was somewhat decently FF compatible (DA 12-24/HD DA 20-40 etc), however... the KP is great and the new K-new will likely replace it and I hope provide some welcome AF benefits to make it the main shooter for those trickier event moments where buffer and accuracy can be helpful. So that makes me feel 'okay' about buying a lens that might only really sit on the KP

I saw you have the new DFA 70-210, are you by chance selling your 55-300? (serious question).

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote

Wait, so the difference in scoring has nothing to do with IQ per se, but rather features (QS/WR etc), build quality and value?