Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
cosina 24/f2.8 macro is nice.....also have a promaster spectrum7 19-35 it is AF but has aperture ring (quite useable on my ap blocked k-50) but focus is not as nice as using a prime......fergot about a bower 14/f2.8 although I will admit I have not tried it on the k-1 to see how it performs FF....rocks on asp-c
I specifically had this one (here in Germany they are mostly Exakta-branded rebadges, with the Ricoh pin) in mind. I ended up pulling up my big boy pants and buying an M20/4 that I am loving.

02-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I specifically had this one (here in Germany they are mostly Exakta-branded rebadges, with the Ricoh pin) in mind.
if I remember correctly (who knows) the cosina 24 had the pin as well.....
02-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I recently decided to try film photography to determine how my film era lenses would have worked as originally designed.

especially my FA 43 and 77 Limiteds

[ I have no interest in full frame sensor DSLRs ( but I might not turn down a good working K 1 or K 1 II for free ) ]

however my widest full frame SLR lens is my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

any thoughts on something wider that is affordable, [ this is just a whim after all ]

I was taught that primes were the way to go during that era but I have liked the Vivitar Series 1 line of zooms

I currently have a ME Super, Super Program and Z 1 as my film cameras

thanks
There’s an A 28 2.8 in the marketplace now.
02-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks but I have a Kiron 28mm F2 0 PKA already

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Fast 28mm wide angle, also sold under the Vivitar marque, can be found in M42, PK and, more rarely, PKA, mounts (pic 2).
Construction; 8 elements in 8 groups
Filter Diameter: 55mm
Aperture: f2 - f16, half clicks, with DOF scale on barrel
Iris: 6 blades
CFD: 0.3m / 12"
Focus throw: ~ 120 deg rotation
Length: 5cms.
Weight: 284g / 10oz
FOV: 66 Degrees (Horizontal) on full frame.
For contemporary magazine reviews of this lens see here.
Review by vintage lens reviews.
Test on full frame sony A7R by Dan Eurrit (PF u/n OSV).
These kirons are well known for having sticky iris's due to deterioration of the helicoid grease causing oil to get onto the blades. There is a repair article here.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/kiron-28mm-f2-mc.html#ixzz6FO6OOrla

so I don't need the Pentax A 28 F2.8

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-28mm-F2.8-Lens.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-29-2020 at 04:16 PM.
02-29-2020, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

however my widest full frame SLR lens is my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
That is probably wide enough for most tasks and a decent lens, assuming the aperture blades are oil-free. A good reference point might be that traditional ultra-wides for 35mm film start at 24mm and those are not much wider in practical terms than a 28mm. Unless you are truly feeling cramped at 28mm, there is no sense putting out relatively big bucks for a 20mm.

Steve
02-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
cheapest way to get below 28mm that I have found is a Tamron Adaptall-2 01B or 01BB - 24mm f2.5... dynamite little lens...

beyond that, every mm less than 24mm will increase the price exponentially...
Yep...on both points!

I own the 01BB and it is a fine lens and (along with the 01B) probably the least expensive quality option at that focal length outside of a Sigma superwide.

Comparison of both versions (01BB on left...mine is nicer condition):

Steve

(...I like the looks and build of the 01B over the 01BB, but they are optically the same and condition should be ones guide...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-29-2020 at 06:29 PM.
02-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the Tokina, either the AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (the second version with 77mm filter size) which is very well-built with a metal body, or the less expensive 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5, which is still well-made with a good grade of plastic. I wound up having both, and found either to be very satisfying optically. Interestingly, test reviews determined the 20-35mm actually came in at 19mm at its short end. Distortion isn't bad for such a wide angle, and very good in the central FLs. I have only used them for film, having better options for WA use with my APS-C Pentax DSLR bodies. Very well-made and very good-performing lenses for a reasonable cost.

If you are like me, I am sure you will appreciate your FA 43mm Limited even more with 35mm film use, in a more versatile FOV, and natural perspective. A great walk-around compact prime. A very fine lens in this capacity.

02-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

There is always the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm as well. No autofocus, but that's going to be plenty wide for just about any WA application.
02-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...on both points!

I own the 01BB and it is a fine lens and (along with the 01B) probably the least expensive quality option at that focal length outside of a Sigma superwide.

Comparison of both versions (01BB on left...mine is nicer condition):

Steve

(...I like the looks and build of the 01B over the 01BB, but they are optically the same and condition should be ones guide...)

I have both and the 01B is the better lens to use on a daily basis, but I prefer the 01BB's optics - they seem (to me, anyways) to have a bit more clarity and sharpness...
02-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is probably wide enough for most tasks and a decent lens, assuming the aperture blades are oil-free. A good reference point might be that traditional ultra-wides for 35mm film start at 24mm and those are not much wider in practical terms than a 28mm. Unless you are truly feeling cramped at 28mm, there is no sense putting out relatively big bucks for a 20mm.

Steve
now you are making think

and that is hard work

I forgot that with a full frame sensor camera such as a film SLR or K 1 or K 1 II, a 35 mm was considered a wide angle lens

I have never actually used my 35mm or 28mm with a full frame sensor I have only used them on my ASP-C sensor camera bodies

I just did a little research and as you stated an ultra wide lens for a full frame sensor is 24mm or smaller

I was confusing ultra wide with fish eye lens

perhaps I need to take some photos with my full frame sensor cameras - ME Super, Super Program or Z 1 have the film developed and take a look at what I get.

perhaps, I don't want an ultra wide lens

any thoughts or suggestions on that ?

what would an ultra wide lens be used for as opposed to a wide angle ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-29-2020 at 08:06 PM.
02-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

perhaps I need to take some photos with my full frame sensor cameras - ME Super, Super Program or Z 1 have the film developed and take a look at what I get.
How about just mounting your 28mm Kiron to the ME Super (best viewfinder of your bunch) and do a little focus practice. That should provide some perspective on FOV as well as the ease of focus and whether you want something wider.

Steve
02-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

what would an ultra wide lens be used for as opposed to a wide angle ?
Shooting close of real big things and/or astrophotography.

Steve
02-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

is whose definition should I usemine or the wife's
It may be prudent to remind her that a bit more up front to get the right lens which will provide greater long term usability and therefore value may require a slightly greater investment.
02-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It may be prudent to remind her that a bit more up front to get the right lens which will provide greater long term usability and therefore value may require a slightly greater investment.
no complaint from me on how my wife and I agree on what I spend on my photography hobby
please don't mistake my poor attempt at humor for something else
03-01-2020, 02:11 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting close of real big things and/or astrophotography.

Steve
+ interior and
+ „creative“
photography