Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Advice on weird Takumar behavior

Hey folks:
Here's one for those Takumar tinkerers who know more than I ... help me solve a problem for a friend:

She just bought a SMC Takumar 150mm f4 off of Craigslist. Nice piece, very clean with little use. Photos taken with it are fantastic. She is using it on a K10D with genuine Pentax m42 adapter. Here's the problem: If she is focused on something CLOSER than 7 meters away (as per the distance index on the lens) she has all the available f stops. If she is focused on something beyond 7 meters all the way to infinity, she has only f 4, 5.6 and 8! If she focuses on infinity, the ring will turn all the way to f22,but the iris stops closing at f8.... interestingly, there's no sign of trouble, no tight spots in the ring or no mechanical sounds that are unusual. The iris just stops closing at f8. It is completely predictable and repeatable, like that is how the thing works.

If you are close focused, you can iris down to whatever you like... f 11, 16, 22. But if you iris down and then try to turn the focus ring to infinity, the lens rotates to 7 meters on the distance index and STOPs like you hit the far stop! No grinding noise, no strange "its broken" sounds... it just happily stops rotating at 7 meters on the index if the iris is set f8 to f22.

I'm perplexed.... I've never seen a lens behave like this. I would immediately say it was broken if it wasn't for fact that the problem is perfectly repeatable, always works the same way and shows no sign that the lens is damaged...no rattles, no binding bearings, nothing.

Any guesses? Anyone have a SMC Takumar 150 f4 that can confirm this action is unique to my friend's lens and not a "feature?"

much thanks!

germar

10-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Has she checked to make sure the manual/auto switch is all the way over? I have a tak that will do almost the exact same thing if the switch is in the middle. Mine doesn't change with the focus though. It's the 55mm 1.8, and it has to be on the camera, or push the little button before the switch will move. (why some taks have this little button I do not know. It will go into auto without pushing it, but it will not go into manual)

Mark

Last edited by Mark2100; 10-26-2008 at 09:05 PM.