Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aluminum knob paint touchup on DA* 60-250

Anyone know what can be done to replace/touchup the paint on the aluminum tripod collar knob on the the DA* 60-250 or similar to make it look a little less worn from paint loss? Any recommended touchup product/s?

03-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Birchwood Casey Super Black lacquer pens are available in both gloss and flat finish and are a favorite for camera and gun touch-up. They are sold by Micro-Tools as well as Cabella, Amazon, and various other outlets.

Steve
03-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a fan of Tamiya water-based acrylic model paints. Flat black is a good all-rounder for cameras and lenses with a flat or satin finish, and the gloss version has been useful on a couple of my vintage items.
03-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

Birchwood also has an aluminum black touch-up. This solution uses a chemical process to put a black coating on the surface A little more durable than paint/lacquer but not as durable as anodizing.. It might not stain dark enough depending on the aluminum alloy. Buy it in the pen applicator.

03-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I just wonder what's the reason to do so?
It's normal for equipment to get cosmetic wear as it gets used - doesn't affect the operation at all.
03-01-2020, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I just wonder what's the reason to do so?
It's normal for equipment to get cosmetic wear as it gets used - doesn't affect the operation at all.
I used to have very low tolerance for imperfection - never diagnosed as a problem, but I suspect there's some psychological thing going on there. Whenever I marked or scratched anything I owned, I used to dwell on it. Whether it be a car, guitar, camera, watch, or anything else, once I'd marked it, all I could see when I looked at it was the mark(s). It took some effort on my part to condition myself not to worry about such things, and it wasn't easy. These days, if I can easily touch something up without spoiling the originality, I might... but otherwise, I just leave it be. So, my current car has a few minor dings on the doors from other folks opening theirs onto mine in the supermarket car-park (in years past, I'd have had these tiny dents removed and re-painted). Several of my watches have signs of minor wear (some years ago, I'd have re-finished these myself, or sent them for re-finishing). My rarer vintage lenses bear signs of wear from decades of careful but normal use... I (mostly) leave these be, now, preferring originality over cosmetic near-perfection. I still don't like "ugly" gear, but I'm OK these days regarding a bit of honest wear.

One exception:

If the paint finish is actually broken on an item that will be used in conditions where the underlying metal may corrode, I'd put a protective layer of touch-up paint on it - more for practical rather than cosmetic reasons; though, in doing so, it looks nicer if the chosen finish is as close as possible to the original. For example, alloy camera bodies can corrode with salt water (presumably, therefore, with salt from sweat too). Whilst wiping down after use is the best protection, a layer of protective paint over any "open" scratches is, IMHO, I good idea. On my most-used K-3, there were a couple of marks from honest use where the alloy was showing, and I chose to touch these up with Tamiya flat black water-based acrylic. The majority of folks wouldn't even notice these touch-ups unless I pointed them out. I see them, because I know where they are, but they match closely with the rest of the finish and they've covered up any exposed metal...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-02-2020 at 12:03 AM.
03-01-2020, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Hmmmm...good question. Here are a few reasons:
  1. One is persnickety
  2. There is a desire to enhance salability for an otherwise excellent condition item
  3. Gear on display as part of a working collection
  4. Renewal of touch-up done by previous owner
  5. Corrosion protection
Numbers 2 and 4 are related, as might be guessed. It is not unusual for metal focus and aperture rings on vintage lenses to have been touched up for sale, usually with a black Sharpie; this tends to wear off. Renewal of engraved lettering and logos is also common either with liquid paint or a paint stick. In that case, it might be a matter of usability as well as appearance.

Steve

03-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO the most desirable old things (antique furniture, old cars) are either New Old Stock / Mint-in-Box or kept in great used condition but have their original patina - i.e. unrestored. I had a molested (aperture pin glued down) CZ Ultron M42 1,8/50 completely disassembled and returned to like-new operating condition but left the exterior untouched.

OTOH there is nothing distasteful about touching up a small blemish on a user lens if it makes the owner happy.
03-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OTOH there is nothing distasteful about touching up a small blemish on a user lens if it makes the owner happy.
Happy is a good thing.

I will also admit to touching up a lens when doing a photo session where blemishes may distract from the beauty of the model.

Steve