Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oftentimes "good enough" is good enough until you experience better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

03-19-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I did "good" to "very good" work with a Rexatar 50/1.8* for about a decade. It was not a good lens, by most definitions, except for the fact that I had nothing else in the bag and was dirt poor and was generally happy with the results.

Would I shoot the Rexatar now, on any of my cameras? Ummm...no. Ironically, I now own the Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 that should have come with the camera and have no problem shooting with it on my K-3. It is well up to the challenge of that sensor. Is the Rikenon the equal of my DA 50/1.8 on APS-C? In short...yes, and I like it better for most subjects. How about FF? Good question. I have not shot with it on film for a long time, though I suspect any of my Pentax/Ashahi fast 50s are probably better.

Steve

* Victim of mail-order bait and switch and no money at the time to up-ante to the lens I thought I had paid for.
03-19-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #138
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oftentimes "good enough" is good enough until you experience better.
That's why I have a rule; If I can't afford it, I don't try it
03-20-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Comparing IQ based on internet flies not to mention strongly reduced files is totally useless.

I posted a strongly reduced file from an 80 Mp medium format image and received comment from users they could do better with a Pentax macro lens.
That is interesting: beating an image recorded with a Zeiss 38 mm Biogon lens with a macro lens even if that lens is a Pentax lens.

I avoid these discussions, they are a waste of time.

---------- Post added 03-20-20 at 08:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
That's why I have a rule; If I can't afford it, I don't try it

I understand you, that is a realistic point of view.

Still you miss the excitement that items out of reach can give.
Somebody at a camera fair asked me if he could take a look through the viewfinder of a MF camera with an expensive WA lens mounted.

The guy was familiar with the camera. I took a flim back loaded the back with 800 ISO Kodak film and asked him to take a couple of shots.
I gave him the roll film. He send me a couple of scans that looked great. This not only made his day but mine as well.

You do not have to own it to enjoy it.