Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I got pretty used to manual focusing lenses with my K5, which was a manual focus camera because the AF was so innacurate.
Really?! I Never had any problems with the K5 AF.

03-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Really?! I Never had any problems with the K5 AF.
This was recently discussed in another thread (rather discussed to death, actually). It doesn't need a rehash here.
03-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Look at prices for there 11mm "foto" lenses and then the comparable "cine" lenses and you'll notice that the still lenses are 1/2 the price.

Let's see where the prices actually end up when the product is on the market.
It's got a price on amazon.com of US$1195.00
amazon.com : Irix Cine 45mm T1.5 Sony E (Imperial - Feet) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The D FA* 50/1.4 is listed at US$1096.95
amazon.com : HD PENTAX-D FA50mmF1.4 SDM AW Single-focus standard lens New-generation, Star-series lens Latest PENTAX Lens coating technologies Extra-sharp, high-contrast images Free of flare and ghost images, Black : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
03-09-2020, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Its not the cine lens!!!!!!

---------- Post added 03-09-20 at 09:45 PM ----------

Irix 150 cine $1,195
Irix 150 still $495 in K mount

03-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's got a price on amazon.com of US$1195.00
?tag=pentaxforums-20&amazon.com : Irix Cine 45mm T1.5 Sony E (Imperial - Feet) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
'Cine' lens, Wheatfield.

Another clue is that a T value of 1.5 rather than an f value of 1.4 is given.

This isn't the lens you're thinking of.
03-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got pretty used to manual focusing lenses with my K5, which was a manual focus camera because the AF was so innacurate.
You have very good eye and you're very skills at manual focusing without a split screen (the case of exceptional customer), it's not the case of many of us.
03-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The problem with such fast 50 manual focus is not easy at that focal length through DSLR view finder, with focus peaking in LV yes.

D-FA*50 has quick AF, it's another league.
I recommend anyone who really wants to shoot fast glass through the eye piece to replace the stock focus screen that comes with Pentax to a Canon S Type screen, that experience then becomes a lot closer to using LV (without focus peaking). I owned a Samyang 85/1.4 and sold it because at 1.4-2.8 it was pretty much impossible to obtain focus through the OVF (I was using stock screen at that time), so I know all too well the frustrations of trying to use the OVF with fast glass. I vowed never to buy another manual focus lens (that costs a bit) without trying to change the screen. Now that I have I can actually entertain the idea of buying glass like this once again.

That's almost exactly the same as the D FA* 50/1.4.
Why would anyone buy it?
As others have said you're looking at Cine lenses, completely different thing. I would expect this to go for less than half the price of a DFA50, around $400USD is my guess. So someone that wants WR 45mm/1.4 glass and AF is not a deal breaker will want this lens. That simple.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
JensE: By not offering AF, how many DSLR owners are going to be interested in manually focusing a lens of this sort of focal length? Aperture rings do cause additional challenges when implementing WR but I'd rather have a less weather capable lens that I actually want to own... Truth be known, I'd rather have a 50 1.2 than a 45 1.4 so I'm probably not in the market for this anyway and will go back to watching prices on 35+ year old glass instead.
Other than Pentax, Irix are the only company that offer WR with their lenses, that in and of itself makes them special in my eyes. I love me some manual focus glass, but recently I was using my Takumar 50/1.4 8 element in the rain and had to resort to using an umbrella on that shoot. A lens like this would have been welcome (and truth be told prolly sell at a similar price point!).

As others have said, wrong lens entirely.
03-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not on the market for this lens, but I have to say that the aesthetic design of the barrel is gorgeous.
Though the images of the lens on that page are probably renderings, as opposed to photographs.

03-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The high-end Tamrons and Tokinas are also WR right? They don't make manual focus primes though.

I know those are renders, but the 150mm macro has the same "Dragonfly" design and it's also beautiful .
03-10-2020, 12:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I recommend anyone who really wants to shoot fast glass through the eye piece to replace the stock focus screen that comes with Pentax to a Canon S Type screen
To change the camera OVF screen for one lens only and mess up AF on other lenses, that 45mm lens much be really really good. And there is already a Samyang 50 1.4 K mount, many other 50mm manual focus vintage lenses. I sold my Sam. 85 1.4 not only it wasn't that sharp in perfect focus, but manual focus was hit and miss, and in addition it had focus shift when aperture is closed. There is a Pentax AF lens , super sharp, excellent coatings, who would want to mess up with an equally expensive 45mm manual lens. For Pentax there is also the 43 ltd, also AF, very close to 45mm.
03-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #26
Pentaxian

To change the camera OVF screen for one lens only and mess up AF on other lenses, that 45mm lens much be really really good. And there is already a Samyang 50 1.4 K mount, many other 50mm manual focus vintage lenses. I sold my Sam. 85 1.4 not only it wasn't that sharp in perfect focus, but manual focus was hit and miss, and in addition it had focus shift when aperture is closed. There is a Pentax AF lens , super sharp, excellent coatings, who would want to mess up with an equally expensive 45mm manual lens. For Pentax there is also the 43 ltd, also AF, very close to 45mm.
FYI my AF is not messed up. My improvements from the focus screen extend to AF lenses as well during Quick Shift/Fine tuning. The only draw back is with slower glass as the OVF gets dimmer as you stop down (hence why I suggested those whom are fans of fast glass to consider this option).
I enjoy the replacement focus screen for all lenses (even slower ones), even FA ltds when I am not choosing to use AF (such as being more discreet such as weddings).
I'm not suggesting someone replace a focus screen for just this lens , that would be ridiculous. I am just merely pointing out a significant benefit as I see it that would assist the user with the experience of this lens should they choose it (the benefit as well extending to other lenses in their collection). FWIW I wish the FA43 had WR as well, but it does not, again I would suggest one of the strengths of this Irix line up is the apparent WR capabilities. There is a Samyang 50/1.4, but again it has no WR.

I suspect this lens will do very well, for those that cannot afford the DFA 50, nor need the AF it provides, but want something of high quality (which the Irix line up has a reputation for) with a reasonable price tag in conjunction with WR. If Pentax actually released or re-released lenses with WR then yes this lens does seem a little unneeded, but it's actually surprising to see just how few lenses for Pentax that are WR.

The only primes that have WR offered by Pentax

Weather Sealed Prime Lenses | PentaxForums.com

So yeah, a 45/1.4 WR prime for Pentax is welcome, even if it is only MF. I merely suggest an option to improve that experience. Good day
03-10-2020, 02:58 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The Spot AE is messed up. Just that and nothing else AFAICT
03-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'Cine' lens, Wheatfield.

Another clue is that a T value of 1.5 rather than an f value of 1.4 is given.

This isn't the lens you're thinking of.
It’s the lens that was linked off the DPReview announcement of the lens that is the subject of this thread.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:21 AM ----------

You have very good eye and you're very skills at manual focusing without a split screen (the case of exceptional customer), it's not the case of many of us.
I suspect that what helped me was not having focusing aids in any camera I could mount a plain screen in starting with my Nikon F2 back in the1970s. I did buy a Katz Eye screen for my K5 out of necessity.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I recommend anyone who really wants to shoot fast glass through the eye piece to replace the stock focus screen that comes with Pentax to a Canon S Type screen, that experience then becomes a lot closer to using LV (without focus peaking). I owned a Samyang 85/1.4 and sold it because at 1.4-2.8 it was pretty much impossible to obtain focus through the OVF (I was using stock screen at that time), so I know all too well the frustrations of trying to use the OVF with fast glass. I vowed never to buy another manual focus lens (that costs a bit) without trying to change the screen. Now that I have I can actually entertain the idea of buying glass like this once again.

As others have said you're looking at Cine lenses, completely different thing. I would expect this to go for less than half the price of a DFA50, around $400USD is my guess. So someone that wants WR 45mm/1.4 glass and AF is not a deal breaker will want this lens. That simple.

Other than Pentax, Irix are the only company that offer WR with their lenses, that in and of itself makes them special in my eyes. I love me some manual focus glass, but recently I was using my Takumar 50/1.4 8 element in the rain and had to resort to using an umbrella on that shoot. A lens like this would have been welcome (and truth be told prolly sell at a similar price point!).

As others have said, wrong lens entirely.
It’s the one linked from the DPReview announcement of the lens in question.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-10-2020 at 06:27 AM.
03-10-2020, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Despite the FA 43 being a very special lense with a lot of character you can either love or hate, the focusing screen is not in the optical way of the af but after the splitting. There is absolutely no influence as long as it does not act as a mirror.

---------- Post added 03-10-20 at 06:42 AM ----------

Itís the lens that was linked off the DPReview announcement of the lens that is the subject of this thread.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:21 AM ----------

I suspect that what helped me was not having focusing aids in any camera I could mount a plain screen in starting with my Nikon F2 back in the1970s. I did buy a Katz Eye screen for my K5 out of necessity.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:23 AM ----------

Itís the one linked from the DPReview announcement of the lens in question.
In this case dpreview made a mistake.
03-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The Spot AE is messed up. Just that and nothing else AFAICT
Wouldn't Center Weighed also be affected? To a lesser degree, of course.