Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Wouldn't Center Weighed also be affected? To a lesser degree, of course.
It might if the centre of the screen goes very dark. That means a slow lens wide open to begin with.
KatzEyes had solution for this but then it would mess mess with metering in other modes too (affecting CW in general and maybe our usual 'multizone' metering (or whetever they call it these days).

03-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It might if the centre of the screen goes very dark. That means a slow lens wide open to begin with.
KatzEyes had solution for this but then it would mess mess with metering in other modes too (affecting CW in general and maybe our usual 'multizone' metering (or whetever they call it these days).
My bad! I thought it was the focusing screen with the split prism. For a "clear" screen yeah, absolutely.
03-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

My bad! I thought it was the focusing screen with the split prism. For a "clear" screen yeah, absolutely.
I was talking about split. Problem is AFAIK, ketzeyes website is no longer there to check.
03-10-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Itís the lens that was linked off the DPReview announcement of the lens that is the subject of this thread.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:23 AM ----------

Itís the one linked from the DPReview announcement of the lens in question.
Ahem... Digital Photography Review wrote the following: 'Last year, a cine version of the lens was released, but the still photography version remained to be seen, until today.'

The link (to a precedent article from the same website, reporting on the announcement of the Cine lens in November last year) is clearly related to the 'cine version' announced 'last year', not to' the still photography version' which 'remained to be seen, until today.'

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
(...)

In this case dpreview made a mistake.
They did not, see my answer to Wheatfield above.

03-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ahem... Digital Photography Review wrote the following: 'Last year, a cine version of the lens was released, but the still photography version remained to be seen, until today.'

The link (to a precedent article from the same website, reporting on the announcement of the Cine lens in November last year) is clearly related to the 'cine version' announced 'last year', not to' the still photography version' which 'remained to be seen, until today.'

They did not, see my answer to Wheatfield above.
If they linked it as the cine version, no mistake made, right.
I just answered to the quote with an implied "if this is true", which clearly I should have written. My bad.
03-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

I stand corrected.
The lens still has a very steep hill to climb to meet the D FA* 50/1.4.
03-10-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wouldn't Center Weighed also be affected? To a lesser degree, of course.
With a uniform S-Type screen, I don't think either is affected - didn't give me any trouble on my K-5. Prism ring and split image focusing aids are the problematic ones.
03-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stand corrected.
A 50% price cut (roughly) has been known to be a decent springboard
Let's see how it performs, it seems chunky enough to be in the ballpark of the super-fifty lenses of recent years.

03-10-2020, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

The Irix 45mm f/1.4 might be priced around €/$595 (RRP) like their 150mm f/2.8 Macro: they share the same Dragonfly finish and the same price for their respective Cine versions.

Last edited by Mistral75; 03-10-2020 at 11:05 AM.
03-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #40
Pentaxian

A 50% price cut (roughly) has been known to be a decent springboard
So is f8...,
03-10-2020, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Why all this negativity about a lens not even available with unknown pricing and not being a core product but a very special third party one?
03-10-2020, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So is f8...,
We don't know how it will perform. The previous Irix lenses seem to be good performers. The D FA* is beyond the means of many, if not most, photographers.

---------- Post added 03-10-20 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Why all this negativity about a lens not even available with unknown pricing and not being a core product but a very special third party one?
The pricing can be more or less estimated from the previous lenses, but the performance? Who knows. It could be great. It could be okayish. Maybe it smokes the competition for astro because it's exceptionally good at controlling coma and has a very flat plane of focus. Maybe it will be utterly mediocre.

It's, at worst, a lens that's coming out on K-mount. Those are objectively good news.
03-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum...
03-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand comparing this lens to the D-FA*50. My question is how much better the IQ is vs. the FA 43 and FA 50 1.4. Those lenses seem like they're more simlar in aim vs. the Fat 50. But even that isn't very fair; the 43 is tiny and has AF, the 50 1.4 is probably going to come in at noticably cheaper but maybe with IQ to match the price delta, etc etc.

Maybe this lens, like most things in life, should be evaluated on its own merits and we can cast asside the competition.
03-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
With a uniform S-Type screen, I don't think either is affected - didn't give me any trouble on my K-5. Prism ring and split image focusing aids are the problematic ones.
That's the type of screen I have, I don't get screwy metering on any methods, I get consistent exposures.

I stand corrected.
I'm just not sure of the consistent comparison of this with the DFA50. Yer comparing a Hummer with a Lamborghini

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't understand comparing this lens to the D-FA*50. My question is how much better the IQ is vs. the FA 43 and FA 50 1.4. Those lenses seem like they're more simlar in aim vs. the Fat 50. But even that isn't very fair; the 43 is tiny and has AF, the 50 1.4 is probably going to come in at noticably cheaper but maybe with IQ to match the price delta, etc etc.

Maybe this lens, like most things in life, should be evaluated on its own merits and we can cast asside the competition.
Here here!

Bottom line, my expectations of this Irix lens and what will likely separate it from it's fellow competitor lenses would be these things;

- When comparing the Irix 45 vs FA43 the Irix has WR whereas the FA43 does not. I would also expect a more clinical lens, acceptably sharp wide open and holding excellent edge sharpness at wide apertures, something the FA 43 does not (I am thinking the Irix will perform similarly to the Sigma Art 35 for IQ, I'm basing this on Irix's past IQ performance).

- When comparing the Irix 45 vs Samyang 50/1.4, the Irix 45 has a wider FoV as well as weather sealing, and may also be smaller and lighter (looks that way from the images but its too early to tell).

- When comparing the Irix 45 vs DFA 50 it will surely likely be significantly cheaper and likely to be a lot lighter and smaller. It is of course missing out on dozens of premium features the DFA 50 has (AF, silent AF, Quick Shift). It is however offering the same speed as the DFA50 with a wider FoV.

I am loving that Irix are supporting Pentax, really however I think the 45/1.4's main competition (not mentioned here thus far) is probably actually going to be the DA* 55/1.8. I expect both lenses to be priced similarly, both have WR, and the DA* has AF etc etc. I guess it comes down to what you want the lens to do.