Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I imagine the Irix 45 will deliver excellent color and sharpness, perfect for when you load up your Pentax Super A with Portra or Ektar, and deliver resultion wide-open deserving of HP5 or Acros II.

03-10-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, assuming similar pricing, I would probably prefer the DA *55 to the Irix due to the presence of auto focus. Focusing f1.4 lenses at f1.4 isn't the easiest proposition, although obviously plenty of people have done it over time. The DFA *50 is a step above either, but is priced accordingly, as well.
03-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I imagine the Irix 45 will deliver excellent color and sharpness, perfect for when you load up your Pentax Super A with Portra or Ektar, and deliver resultion wide-open deserving of HP5 or Acros II.
Does the Irix 45 have an aperture ring tho? Wouldn't it deliver only 1.4 on film?
03-10-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I am loving that Irix are supporting Pentax, really however I think the 45/1.4's main competition (not mentioned here thus far) is probably actually going to be the DA* 55/1.8.
DA*55 f1.4

03-10-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the Irix 45 have an aperture ring tho? Wouldn't it deliver only 1.4 on film?
The Super A is the Super Program in a black coat of pant. Controls A-series lenses. Should be able to control the aperture on this lens assuming they used the traditional stop down lever, right? And it's a manual focus body with a focusing screen that has more assist than the one in our DSLR's.
03-10-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DA*55 f1.4
Thank you, yes.. the DA* 55/1.4 (I'm spending too much time on Takumar forums!! )

The Super A is the Super Program in a black coat of pant. Controls A-series lenses. Should be able to control the aperture on this lens assuming they used the traditional stop down lever, right? And it's a manual focus body with a focusing screen that has more assist than the one in our DSLR's.
Ah... so like a later film dslr that can control apertures from the body? Cool!
03-10-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha, no, a later FILM SLR that can control apertures from the body. The problem is that Pentax film bodies, save for the MZ-S and only the MZ-S (to my knowledge) allows the user to directly control the aperture of the lens. Every previous body only allows this via the aperture ring, even though they were already selling lenses without aperture rings at the same time (The FA-J zooms). So it's not quite what I would regard as the best situation and also why I've never bothered to get a Pentax film body besides my MX (although I would like an LX) because they don't bother with this. Also the pushbutton user interface just seemed goofy vs. cameras before the Super's like the MX or some 3rd party bodies.

Then there's the Pentax glass that has aperture rings but are AF with awful manual focus rings, like the F 50 1.7 I own, etc etc. I'm genuinely confused by the user interface decisions made by Pentax while also creating the K-5. Like there was about 30 years of "Eh, maybe this time, let's do it wrong again".

03-10-2020, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah... so like a later film dslr that can control apertures from the body? Cool!
1983 = later? Ok, if you say so!

The problem is that Pentax film bodies, save for the MZ-S and only the MZ-S (to my knowledge) allows the user to directly control the aperture of the lens.
The MZ-S requires aperture ring for Av and M modes the same as the Super Program. Direct aperture control using an e-dial or similar was a later development on one of the AF lines, though I can't remember which.

Steve
03-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1983 = later? Ok, if you say so!

The MZ-S requires aperture ring for Av and M modes the same as the Super Program. Direct aperture control using an e-dial or similar was a later development on one of the AF lines, though I can't remember which.

Steve
Seriously? The MZ-S is one of the last k-mount film bodies Pentax sold, and was definitely a top-tier offering. But this doesn't even shock me that much, it's just another one of those "well it was Pentax and they were obviously lost at the time" things. Like all of those AF bodies that don't allow for manual setting of the film ISO. I guess I just had to be there for some of this stuff to make sense.
03-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Z-1 (PZ-1) offers aperture control from the e dials in all modes (HyperProgram, Tv, Av and HyperManual). It was substantially earlier than the MZ-S from '91 ish, the MZ-S also doesn't have the 1/8000th and sync at 1/250th like the Z-1.

With the aperture ring off A the Z-1 offers Av and normal (i.e. not Hyper) Manual.
03-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha, no, a later FILM SLR that can control apertures from the body. The problem is that Pentax film bodies, save for the MZ-S and only the MZ-S (to my knowledge) allows the user to directly control the aperture of the lens. Every previous body only allows this via the aperture ring, even though they were already selling lenses without aperture rings at the same time (The FA-J zooms). So it's not quite what I would regard as the best situation and also why I've never bothered to get a Pentax film body besides my MX (although I would like an LX) because they don't bother with this. Also the pushbutton user interface just seemed goofy vs. cameras before the Super's like the MX or some 3rd party bodies.

Seriously? The MZ-S is one of the last k-mount film bodies Pentax sold, and was definitely a top-tier offering. But this doesn't even shock me that much, it's just another one of those "well it was Pentax and they were obviously lost at the time" things. Like all of those AF bodies that don't allow for manual setting of the film ISO. I guess I just had to be there for some of this stuff to make sense.
Some of the other MZ bodies are able to control the aperture via the camera, but as mentioned not the MZ-S. The Z-1p & Z-1 are also able to do this, as well as the film *ist body.

Phil.
03-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The Z-1 (PZ-1) offers aperture control from the e dials in all modes (HyperProgram, Tv, Av and HyperManual). It was substantially earlier than the MZ-S from '91 ish, the MZ-S also doesn't have the 1/8000th and sync at 1/250th like the Z-1.

With the aperture ring off A the Z-1 offers Av and normal (i.e. not Hyper) Manual.
I did some research and it appears that the Z-series was the first to offer direct body-controlled aperture with the Z-1/PZ-1.

Steve
03-10-2020, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
We don't know how it will perform. The previous Irix lenses seem to be good performers. The D FA* is beyond the means of many, if not most, photographers.

---------- Post added 03-10-20 at 11:44 AM ----------

The pricing can be more or less estimated from the previous lenses, but the performance? Who knows. It could be great. It could be okayish. Maybe it smokes the competition for astro because it's exceptionally good at controlling coma and has a very flat plane of focus. Maybe it will be utterly mediocre.

It's, at worst, a lens that's coming out on K-mount. Those are objectively good news.
Anything coming out in K mount is a good thing. I prefer to shoot with Pentax glass, but third party options can only help the brand by giving it visibility and credibility.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 09:25 PM ----------

I don't understand comparing this lens to the D-FA*50. My question is how much better the IQ is vs. the FA 43 and FA 50 1.4. Those lenses seem like they're more simlar in aim vs. the Fat 50. But even that isn't very fair; the 43 is tiny and has AF, the 50 1.4 is probably going to come in at noticably cheaper but maybe with IQ to match the price delta, etc etc.

Maybe this lens, like most things in life, should be evaluated on its own merits and we can cast asside the competition.
It really depends on the price point it comes in at. If it's a 400.00 lens, compare it to the FA lens. If it's an 800.00 lens, it needs to compare favorably to the D FA* lens.
Like it or not, price is part of the equation, otherwise its merits are purely optical, in which case we are back to that steep climb.

---------- Post added Mar 10th, 2020 at 09:29 PM ----------

You need a camera that can control the aperture. One of the older bodies would work on program or shutter preferred auto. I'm not sure which film bodies have control wheels, but they would be able to control the lens the same way your DSLR does.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-10-2020 at 09:28 PM.
03-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #59
Pentaxian

official us annoucement is here: The Irix 45mm f/1.4 Still Lens Has Officially Been Announced! - Irix USA

no word on price yet
03-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was initially very excited to see this lens announced, although I would have been more interested in a 40mm focal length - an equivalent to the Sigma Art. I'll still be curious to see how it handles coma wide open to get an idea of how good it would be for nightscapes.

Maybe Irix will come out with a good 24mm f1.4 next?