Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
I've sent you a private email.
I'm interested in both lens.

Thanks!
The power zoom is my favorite zoom. I sold it a while ago for $45 or something like that. I like it better than my kit's lens for the range. It is not built like a tank, but it has the SMC coating and color is rich and has great contrast. And it has good close up capability. It is not a macro by any means, but I recall MFD is quite good for close up.

But I have not tested the F 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5. That is the closest AF lens that is in similar focal range to DA* 50-135 and hence my LBA. And I expect similar IQ to the power zoom but the range will be more useful in the F 35-135 f/3.5-4.5 and it really fits into your budget.

Hin -- the inexpensive lens man

10-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
If you are scared, you can check my feedbacks. My LBA is unmanaged if no one buy my lens that I explored.
you've been buying up everything in sight! you have my old DA21 too, take good care of it

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
k100d, those were my questions earlier this morning. Those manual lenses looks good, but I've never played with the M mode, I sometime play with the Tv or Av mode after looking what Auto gives me as a value.
personally, i had a pretty bad experiences with manual lenses. as you're starting out, it's probably better to get a lens with the Automatic Exposure compatibility. the lenses themselves were awesome, it's just the stop-down metering was too inaccurate. hard to get good snaps in changing lighting conditions.
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
you've been buying up everything in sight! you have my old DA21 too, take good care of it
Yes, I will take good care of your lens. I sold my Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 before getting your used copy of DA 21mm limited. I love the limited prime but I find f/3.2 not fast enough for some of my indoor needs. In hindsight, I should have kept my Spiratone as a good complement to the 21mm limited. The DA 21mm f/3.2 limited is a wonderful lens and I like its pictures so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
personally, i had a pretty bad experiences with manual lenses. as you're starting out, it's probably better to get a lens with the Automatic Exposure compatibility. the lenses themselves were awesome, it's just the stop-down metering was too inaccurate. hard to get good snaps in changing lighting conditions.
I may have to slightly disagree with you as a bigger portion of my gear are all in manual focus and metering. Your point is correct that it can be frustrating and daunting at first with M lens. I think MF lens as in M and M42 lens make up the lacking in slow AF system in Pentax gear. I am sending a Sear 135mm f/2.8 to YJD for free along with two AF lens so as to try manual focusing lens with a free lens. The lens is not the best in the class for 135mm but it should serve the purpose well in MF learning. I learn my first MF lens with Takumar A 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 which has a slippery focusing ring. IQ is reasonable but I won't recommend this lens over Kit's lens, especially when someone already owns a kit's lens. As stated before, it is worth the efforts to learn MF with a prime.

With M lens without an 'A' setting, as long as it is in K mount, I still manage to use 'Av' mode for most cases and adjust the metering discrepancies with Ev adjustment. In M mode, I will use the stop down metering with 'green' button on K10D and AE-L button on K100D Super. It can slow you down a bit but adds the advantage to the challenge and the thrill and accomplishment in getting a photo stand out. It gives you some room to articulate composition as the whole process requires concentration and thinking.

And for M lens in general such as the Sears or any M42 lens, there are two important settings to be tuned and I have an old blog post on the settings:

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-29-2008 at 02:01 PM.
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link and the lens!
I am so happy to be able to try a manual lens... I'll post pictures when I'll get the lens and have time to play with it.