Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2020, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #76
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All the waving of hands does not help things.
These days, I'm afraid he's lost me at "Whassgoinoooooon, YouTube!"

Seems like a decent guy, but... really...

03-29-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wouldn't consider CameraVille reviews and tests to be a solid basis
Hows this guys assessments???(sorry to take the focus off the lens)

03-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #78
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hows this guys assessments???(sorry to take the focus off the lens)
LOL Yeah, that's the stuff
03-29-2020, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hows this guys assessments?
Gotta love the simplicity -- "At number 3, Pentax K-1 Best Megapixels." Straightforward, easy to understand, and direct. If you want the very best megapixels, go for the K-1. Any other Pentax camera certainly will give you inferior megapixels.

- Craig

03-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Seems like a decent guy, but... really...
My guess is his channel is a small part time business for him,he has an Amazon affiliation.

Put him in the same class as the other mercenarys!

His intro would put many off, $eem$ like he will continue his reviews of Pentax gear as long as you " clik on the link below"!
03-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #81
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is his channel is a small part time business for him,he has an Amazon affiliation.

Put him in the same class as the other mercenarys!

His intro would put many off, $eem$ like he will continue his reviews of Pentax gear as long as you " clik on the link below"!
I actually have no problem with that. A man's got to eat, and his seems an innocent enough business venture. His content clearly appeals to quite a few folks. I just hope they also consult other more-expeienced and reputable sources to obtain a composite view before drawing any conclusions or making buying decisions. Frankly, though, I'd recommend that approach with reviews from any website or YouTube channel... even the better ones...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-29-2020 at 02:20 PM.
03-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I don't see a problem with referral links - everybody uses them, everybody has to make some money to make their activities worthwhile. We have to put some of the comments into perspective. When DxO declared K5 image quality better overall than the D7000, everyone sung their praises and considered them the end-all source of reviews. Then when the K3 reviews came out - DxO suddenly became completely incompetent with hopeless methodology. This review is one data point, and maybe not the most authoritative. But not everybody can acquire a dozen or more copies of a lens for testing, even if their procedures were top notch.

03-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
He also shows Pentax lenses have better IQ especially in low light than other cameras do. It would be crazy to expect a camera company better than every other camera companies on every lens and every circumstance. All that matters if the focal lengths you want.
I mostly agree with that.
There is no perfect camera nor lens or even being best at everything, but....
Usually the more you pay for your lenses, the closer to perfect they are. Same with cameras.
Pentax lenses are very competitive at its price range usually, but problem arises if one would like to use something closer to perfection.
Pentax simply doesn't offer lenses like that at any price...

---------- Post added 03-29-20 at 02:26 PM ----------

Nearly all reviews are helpful, I just use my own eyes to judge and not always agree with everyone either they are praising or bashing Pentax.

P.B.
03-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #84
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxBro Quote
problem arises if one would like to use something closer to perfection.
Thankfully, there are very few use cases - and users - who need something closer to (technical) perfection. Most (perhaps all?) mid-to-high-end lenses from any brand are more than capable enough for the majority of amateur and professional applications. There would seem to be quite a few folks who want near-perfection "just because"... and they're allowed to want that, of course, even if the vast majority don't need it.

Pentax simply doesn't offer lenses like that at any price...
I'd say the D FA*50/1.4 falls into that bracket, though it's only the first in a line of such lenses that will take some time to flesh out. Until then, Pentax may not be the best choice for the tiny proportion of users who actually need technical perfection (you may be one of the rare few?), or those who simply want it even if they don't need it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-29-2020 at 02:38 PM.
03-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #85

Thankfully, there are very few use cases - and users - who need something closer to (technical) perfection. Most (perhaps all?) mid-to-high-end lenses from any brand are more than capable enough for the majority of amateur and professional applications. There would seem to be quite a few folks who want near-perfection "just because"... and they're allowed to want that, of course, even if the vast majority don't need it.

I'd say the D FA*50/1.4 falls into that bracket, though it's only the first in a line of such lenses that will take some time to flesh out. Until then, Pentax may not be the best choice for the tiny proportion of users who actually need technical perfection (you may be one of the rare few?), or those who simply want it even if they don't need it...
The K-1 (mk 1) has particularly good sensor performance in RAWs, but in my opinion Pentax doesn't have yet any lens doing this camera enough justice.
Especially at certain focal ranges.

The new D FA*50/1.4 is very very good, but its still not the top shelf lens, hopefully the upcoming D FA*85/1.4 lens will be even slightly better...
Of course for general public, enthusiasts, most pro work like weddings etc is more than enough of the lens.

P.B.
03-29-2020, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

The new D FA*50/1.4 is very very good, but its still not the top shelf lens
Ridiculous.
03-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #87
Pentaxian

The new D FA*50/1.4 is very very good, but its still not the top shelf lens, hopefully the upcoming D FA*85/1.4 lens will be even slightly better...
AshaiMan has said something like that but also said it will be very PRICEy.That statement was a few months ago and economic circumstances are volatile right now,so when its released(end of year,at this stage) it'll be interesting to see how much?
03-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #88
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The new D FA*50/1.4 is very very good, but its still not the top shelf lens
Out of curiosity, what comparable fast fifty on another platform would you prefer Pentax had matched in terms of performance and rendering?

Of course for general public, enthusiasts, most pro work like weddings etc is more than enough of the lens.
Which begs the question, who needs anything better and why? I mean, aside from the "I want it just because I can" folks? That's a serious question... who can actually leverage the benefit of such perfection?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-29-2020 at 03:41 PM.
03-29-2020, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The new Pentax didn't fair so well against the Tamron - especially on the long end. One of the comments suggested that Tamron did all the glass manufacturing themselves, keeping the best for their build and providing less than perfect glass for the Pentax build. So, read the comments.

He isn't using the same camera body to test both lenses from the look of it. How he can call himself an equipment tester when he is making such a basic mistake beggars belief.
Nothing to see here folks, it's time to move on.
03-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
He isn't using the same camera body to test both lenses from the look of it. How he can call himself an equipment tester when he is making such a basic mistake beggars belief.
Nothing to see here folks, it's time to move on.
I guess he could have used a Sony or some othe mirrorless, but then we'd have complaints about the adapter alignment or something else.