Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I own a 40mm SMC limited and it is one of the worst lenses I own (read the Pentaxforum review, it gets a 5 for sharpness and a 10 for buildquality "https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/conclusion-da-40mm-f28-li.html" and an overall conclusion of "very good".
Given my habit of removing the highest and lowest rating a lens receives before doing an average, your opinion will only count as a "discard" with no statistical importance.

Just saying, there are ways of dealing with such statistical anomalies.

03-26-2020, 12:06 PM - 3 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would not buy a limited 21 or 70. You only will get disappointed.
Wait, what?

I own a 40mm SMC limited and it is one of the worst lenses I own (read the Pentaxforum review, it gets a 5 for sharpness and a 10 for buildquality
That review, sad to say, was done with a suboptimal lens. It does not showcase what the 40 LTD is capable of.

I also ordered a 21mm limited and I had it returned to the seller. It is the only lens, no matter what F I used, that did not give a good picture
Wait, what?

even the standard 18-55 Mark II gives better results.
Wait, what?

The 40mm limited sometimes gives an outstanding picture if the circumstances are perfect. But circumstances are not always perfect.
Wait, what?

Other lenses are a lot easier to use.
Wait, what?

Suffice to say, I respectfully disagree with everything written here.
03-26-2020, 12:14 PM - 4 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah other than a couple test shots of my Christmas tree years ago, I don't think I've ever really done sunstars purposefully... so if I can eventually afford it I think I'd love the HD version of the 21.
Here are a few examples of starbursts. To me that's one of the main perks of the SMC 21:

Even when the scene does not yield starbursts, it creates a wonderful glow around light sources:

Looking at those images makes me wonder why I sold mine...
03-26-2020, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #49
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I do like the shots I see from the SMC-A 20 2.8 a LOT. Same with the SMC-M 20 f4.

I'm interested in hearing about your experience but I have never seen an A 20 2.8 for less than 400 dollars ( and they're usually 500-600) that wasn't full of fungus and/or haze and/or balsam separation. Even the ones that have all that sell for over my budget (in the 300s). The M 20 f4 is also up there in price these days.
I took a chance on eBay for the A20/2.8 - 'make offer', so I did...

the seller in Canada accepted my offer of $350 and it is a gorgeous lens....

03-26-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Further to my earlier comments, and on reflection after reading other people's comments, there are times when the 21 is very useful. A few months ago I went on a night prison tour and the wider aperture was a treat as was the small size. I have posted in the DA limited club thread the images from this tour. I could not have done these with the zoom other than with a tripod so yes, they are worth having - probably will not sell mine.
03-26-2020, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Wait, what?
That review, sad to say, was done with a suboptimal lens. It does not showcase what the 40 LTD is capable of.

Suffice to say, I respectfully disagree with everything written here.
This is not a person I would ever take lens advice from or recommend to anyone else in that lenses I get great images with he is disappointed with. Clearly my shooting styles and his are so different as to mean anything that worked for him would probably not work for me, to the point I wonder if his shooting style entails turning off shake reduction and jumping off bridges while shooting.

I tried checking out his images but I can't find any.
As such I have no idea if he has a clue what he's talking about.

Last edited by normhead; 03-26-2020 at 06:14 PM.
03-26-2020, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I am thinking of getting a 70 too. I just let my 100wr go and want to replace it with DA70 because of its size and weight. I hope I make the right decision. [fingers crossed]
The main weakness of the DA70 Limited from my viewpoint is its long minimum focus distance (70 cm), so it is no replacement for the 100 wr macro.

03-26-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #53
Forum Member

I'm enjoying my recent purchase of the HD DA 21. It's so stealthy it makes a great walk around town lens.
Attached Images

03-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #54
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is not a person I would ever take lens advice from or recommend to anyone else in that lenses I get great images with he is disappointed with. Clearly my shooting styles and his are so different as to mean anything that worked for him would probably not work for me, to the point I wonder if his shooting style entails turning off shake reduction and jumping off bridges while shooting.

I tried checking out his images but I can't find any.
As such I have no idea if he has a clue what he's talking about.

agreed - I could not find any evidence of why such a negative review....
03-27-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

As a treat to yourself I would not buy a limited 21 or 70. You only will get disappointed. I do not think that the price of a limited is in accordance with what they deliver. You have a lot of lenses and even some outstanding ones. Although it is not a limited you have the 35mm F2.4. One of the best lenses there is at a reasonable price. Alright, the build quality of the limiteds is very good, the 35mm mentioned is "plastic", but it only shows you that it is not about the build quality, but about the glass used in manufacturing the lens. I own a 40mm SMC limited and it is one of the worst lenses I own (read the Pentaxforum review, it gets a 5 for sharpness and a 10 for buildquality "https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/conclusion-da-40mm-f28-li.html" and an overall conclusion of "very good". It looks lovely on my K-01 and better looks than the 40mm XS. I also ordered a 21mm limited and I had it returned to the seller. It is the only lens, no matter what F I used, that did not give a good picture, it is not about sharpness but about an overall view you get. All my other lenses do, even the standard 18-55 Mark II gives better results. The 40mm limited sometimes gives an outstanding picture if the circumstances are perfect. But circumstances are not always perfect. Other lenses are a lot easier to use. To treat my self I bought a little while ago the plastic fantastic combo 35mm and 50mm. My K-01 is now a happy camera. It loves primes and it shows it in its pictures.
But a special treat might be the F 28mm F2.8. Or the 20-40mm Limited, It gives you great results, it looks fabulous on a camera because of the "old fashioned" design (I bought this one quite cheap for a new lens). Or you could fill in the gap between 50mm and 70 mm and buy a fabulous HD 16-85, which fills most gaps between 45 and 100.
If you get better results from the kit 18-55mm than with DA Limited lenses then you either had the bad luck to get bad copies of those Limiteds or you're doing something wrong. Probably the former because if you can manage to get good results with the kit lens then there's no reason why you wouldn't get the same from any modern lens.
03-27-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Another vote for the 21!!! It is my most used Limited and I have the 15/21/35/40/70 family. For portraits to 70 is magical. If I could only keep one of these it would be the HD DA 21. It's a wide-normal on APS-C.