Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Macro" zooms

I recently purchased a copy of the SMC Pentax-F 28-80 F3.5-4.5.
SMC Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
(Mine is actually the Takumar-branded version.)
Like many kit-lenses I've used (although the SMC-A 50mm 1.7 that came with my Super Program is a superb kit lens that I still use frequently), this is a modest lens that takes decent pix stopped down.
I like the zoom range although on APS-C, I'd prefer something wider. (I generally use the DA 18-135.)
One thing I really like about this lens is its macro capability. Granted, its macro capabilities are also modest, as the two attached photos show. But as a simple walking around lens, it offers both decent zoom range as well as macro.
I also have an ancient Takumar 70-210 F4.5-5.6 that also offers a macro setting.
I've searched the lens database and can't seem to find other zooms that offer macro settings. Unless I'm doing my search wrong, the only macros that show up seem to be the ones that have Macro in the official name.
So --- finally the question -- is there a way to find other zoom/macro combination lenses through the database, or some other resource? I have a couple of very good contemporary macros (DA 35mm 2.8 Ltd & D-FA 100 mm 2.8) for when I am specifically shooting macro. But I love having a macro option with a walking around lens.
Thanks for any insights.
Greg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
SMC Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Like many kit-lenses I've used (although the SMC-A 50mm 1.7 that came with my Super Program is a superb kit lens that I still use frequently), this is a modest lens that takes decent pix stopped down.
I like the zoom range although on APS-C, I'd prefer something wider. (I generally use the DA 18-135.)
One thing I really like about this lens is its macro capability. Granted, its macro capabilities are also modest, as the two attached photos show. But as a simple walking around lens, it offers both decent zoom range as well as macro.
I also have an ancient Takumar 70-210 F4.5-5.6 that also offers a macro setting.
I've searched the lens database and can't seem to find other zooms that offer macro settings. Unless I'm doing my search wrong, the only macros that show up seem to be the ones that have Macro in the official name.
So --- finally the question -- is there a way to find other zoom/macro combination lenses through the database, or some other resource? I have a couple of very good contemporary macros (DA 35mm 2.8 Ltd & D-FA 100 mm 2.8) for when I am specifically shooting macro. But I love having a macro option with a walking around lens.
Thanks for any insights.
Greg
The only one contemporary I can think of is the 18-55 kit lens, due to the short minimum focus with all focal lengths it can be used as a sort of macro lens (the manual brought it to my attention). I used it in this way and it gives rather pleasant "macro"results. The other one I have in mind is an old manual A lens: the legendary F3.5 35-105 (stack of primes). Due to its weight it will not be considered a walk around lens anymore, but it did at the time it came on the market,. There is a newer F 35-105 that has macro and also AF.
03-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though not a true Macro (1:1) lens, I've been very happy with this one:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Its close focusing distance is specified as 20cm as opposed to 25cm for the 28-80, although I and others have been able to get good focus at less than 20cm. Max magnification is 0.43x as opposed to 0.11x for the 28-80. I think it's only for APS-C cameras.
03-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your question is meant to apply to modern and as well as legacy lense, the Pentax 55-300 PLM can also double as a macro:
See my shots here:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

There are many "macro" shots on this 55-300mm lens thread (most are better than mine!!!)

Depending, of course, on your definition of "macro" there are some quite close-up shots here using the Pentax 16-85mm lens:
HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR samples - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

03-28-2020, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The lens database often shows the max, magnification, the bigger the number, the more 'macro' it is.

For example, the kit 18-55 is 0.34x compared to the 18-135's 0.24x, this was shot with the 18-55:

If you like ultra-wide, a surprisingly good close-up lens is the 10-17 fisheye, which offers 0.39x magnification, though at that, you're pretty much holding the lens against the subject:

03-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

To answer your actual question, I have not found a search function that easily allows a scan of the entire lens database, so I have relied on reviews and topics like this one. Maybe somebody else can advise how to search more generally.

Personal opinions:
One of my favourite walkaround lenses that is somewhat macro is the F 35-70mm. Small and light to carry around all day, and allows closer macro than your 28-80. In my film days I had a Tamron Adaptall 35-80. Quite often these days I take a very light kit comprising the 35-70 on my K-70, with the 21mm Limited and two 49mm filters in a trouser pocket. I agree that 28mm FL on APSC is often not wide enough, 35mm FL more so, hence the 21mm lens. The Limited series are all perfect for travelling, hiking and biking.

I recently travelled through Vietnam with the 16-85mm as my all-purpose lens, but that is substantially heavier, and slow max aperture at the long end. The 21mm Limited did lots of work in low light or tight spaces.

Also: I have just picked up a 18-55 DA II but I have yet to test it as a walkaround lens or to see its macro capability.
03-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So --- finally the question -- is there a way to find other zoom/macro combination lenses through the database, or some other resource?.........
Greg
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
To answer your actual question, I have not found a search function that easily allows a scan of the entire lens database, so I have relied on reviews and topics like this one. Maybe somebody else can advise how to search more generally.
At the risk of showing both of you something you may already know ( if so, just call me a silly old fool and pretend I'm not here!!), here is how is to search Pentax Forums for specific lens threads:

1: Forums Home page
(Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com)
2: Scroll down to and click on
Lens Sample Photo Archive
3: Click on the "Search this Forum" choice"
Name:  PF Search.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  42.5 KB
4: Type in a lens detail - even just "16-85mm" (without the quotes)
5: Click the Go button

If, rather than sample pics and comments you want more details on the lenses, at Step 2, scroll a little further and choose
Pentax Lens and Accessory Review Databases

Then continue with step 3 above.

Hope this was helpful.
Cheers

03-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
At the risk of showing both of you something you may already know ( if so, just call me a silly old fool and pretend I'm not here!!), here is how is to search Pentax Forums for specific lens threads:

1: Forums Home page
(Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com)
2: Scroll down to and click on
Lens Sample Photo Archive
3: Click on the "Search this Forum" choice"
Attachment 491484
4: Type in a lens detail - even just "16-85mm" (without the quotes)
5: Click the Go button

If, rather than sample pics and comments you want more details on the lenses, at Step 2, scroll a little further and choose
Pentax Lens and Accessory Review Databases

Then continue with step 3 above.

Hope this was helpful.
Cheers

That's new to me so it is definitely helpful, thanks very much.
03-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My pleasure! Takes me back to the last 20 yrs of my working life, as a class-room instructor, and writing manuals!!
03-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for any insights.
Greg
Of course, what you have here by using the zoom lens's "macro" setting is not really macro, but a closer focus distance is activated, while at the same time normal focus distance is prevented. Sort of a focus limiter control.

Actually, your DA 18-135mm lens is quite capable for good closeups. If you check the thread <DA 18-135mm WR show us what it can do> you will find examples of some quality closeup images.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-28-2020 at 11:37 PM.
03-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I am fairly sure this was taken with the F 35-70mm.

---------- Post added 03-29-20 at 05:29 AM ----------

Using the macro function
03-29-2020, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

F 35-70mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-29-2020, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This zoom has a "macro" function, albeit at 60mm not 300mm.

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP / Novoflex 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A)

Read more at: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP / Novoflex 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I have a few zooms that enjoy close focussing but this is probably my most versatile.

Image of some detritus in a bird bath.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
This zoom has a "macro" function, albeit at 60mm not 300mm.

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP / Novoflex 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A)

Read more at: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP / Novoflex 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4 (23A) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I have a few zooms that enjoy close focussing but this is probably my most versatile.

Image of some detritus in a bird bath.
Yes, I agree with you Skodadriver, this is a superb lens, both as a macro and a good tele (it's my favourite birding lens). I love mine and would never sell it - I get great pictures on both my Pentax K-70 APS-C and my Sony A7ii full-frame. I am not sure it would classify as a walkaround lens given its weight and length, although the image quality rewards anyone prepared to carry it. Mine is often in my backpack in case birds come into view.

In fact most of the SP Adaptalls are pretty good really (24-48mm, 35-80mm, 90mm and 35-135mm are all on my shelves accompanying the 60-300mm) and deliver great shots.