Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR always proves effective at slow shutter speeds, but it's true that it doesn't always engage. As long as you have a bit of patience, though, just wait for the SR icon appear in the viewfinder (the sensor has to re-align itself) in between shots.

Faster lenses are great to use, but the fact remains that you generally don't shoot wide-open because of shallow DOF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
True, but not far from wide open. For example, with my 50 1.4, most of my indoor shots are at 2.0 or 2.2. If I were not to have a 1.4 (and instead had something like the 40mm) I would be shooting with an aperture of above 2.8 which likely results in a shutter speed that is too slow.
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by loganross Quote
Why are DAs (21 3.2, 40 2.8, 70 2.4) slower than the FAs they replace (31 1.8, 43 1.9, 77 1.9)?

If anyone can shed some insight I would appreciate it.
I wrote this on the other forum, but thought I'd mention it here to.

Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes. All the DA Limiteds are pancakes whereas none of the FA Limiteds are. I believe Pentax's goal is to keep the FA Limiteds available for fast glass, and thus giving them the ability to dedicate resources to creating a unique market niche, the pancake primes.

No one else has a series of pancakes. And Pentax has been able to create some buzz around the series, which seems like its working considering how many posts I've read about people switching their "big, heavy Canon/Nikon systems" for something small & light.

I don't think 'Limited' to Pentax means fast, I think it means Quality. And perhaps all metal construction.

But at heart I'm with you. I'd like to see a few more 1.8 primes available. At least one below 31mm would be nice. I can see a DA28 & a DA18 being quite useful. And maybe a nice 135mm 2.0.
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its become more interesting now that Pentax has announced new DA * 55mm and DA 35mm lenses. I am leaning this way as far as making up a kit:

1) FA/DA 35
2) FA 50/DA 55
3) DA 70

The only Q: I can get the FA 43 for $370 new with rebate and the FA 35 is $300 (no rebate). So which to get ?

03-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its become more interesting now that Pentax has announced new DA * 55mm and DA 35mm lenses. I am leaning this way as far as making up a kit:

1) FA/DA 35
2) FA 50/DA 55
3) DA 70

The only Q: I can get the FA 43 for $370 new with rebate and the FA 35 is $300 (no rebate). So which to get ?
The 43LTD is a different type of animal from the 35/2.0

The difference in focal lengths is much greater than the apparent 8mm difference. The quality and build of the 43 LTD is considerably superior. I had not used it much in the past but I have really grown fond of it's capabilities of late and it gets a regular workout now.

The images on the 43 are superb. The image rendering from this lens more than makes up for its resolution number (which are not bad).

I have pondered the 35/2.0 myself and just feel I have too many lenses and I already own the K 35/3.5 which isn't going to be surpassed in sharpness by any other 35mm that Pentax makes...so why waste my money.

Now if your choice is between a 31 LTD and a 35/2.0 and money (and only money) was a consideraton I would go opt for the 35/2.0. Then I would save like a fanatic and buy the 31 ASAP

Stephen

Stephen
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow, how could you get Fa43 so cheap! I bought it for 450 US!

This is making me feeling stupid (I thought I got a bargain)
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Faster lenses are great to use, but the fact remains that you generally don't shoot wide-open because of shallow DOF.
Often that's exactly what I want. With fast lenses you get the choice - with slow ones you just can't take the picture how you want it!