Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sticky lens barrel adjuster

I have a and pentax DA 18-55 lens that has a bad case of sticky barrel adjuster that is driving me crazy. It's hard to move the adjustment, it hangs up then releases quickly sending it out of focus one way or the other, in or out. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you get it to stop? If so, how would you get it to turn smoothly? I don't think some from of lube would be a good idea. Any ideas to help would be welcome. Thanks and be safe

04-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is it the zoom ring or the focus that does this ?
04-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's the zoom ring.
04-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most practical solution is to purchase another DA 18-55.

The zoom mechanism usually has an outer barrel with a few spiral grooves in it. Inside the grooves are nylon rollers that connect it to an inner barrel with the lens elements. Twist the zoom ring and the inner elements move in and out. Those nylon rollers might roll better with some lube, but if they are worn or cracked, parts are hard to come by. So you could fix it, but definitely look at used lens prices first.

04-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your insight. I bought it with the old DA camera and no telling if it has dirt in the mechanism or like you said broken rollers. It's been like this since I bought it but it has gotten worse to where when it's in auto mode it won't focus correctly.
I know that it isn't the best lens but was hoping I could save it. I have no idea how to take it apart to attempt a fix so I will look for a rep!acement.
Thanks again for your help.
04-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
Thanks so much for your insight. I bought it with the old DA camera and no telling if it has dirt in the mechanism or like you said broken rollers. It's been like this since I bought it but it has gotten worse to where when it's in auto mode it won't focus correctly.
I know that it isn't the best lens but was hoping I could save it. I have no idea how to take it apart to attempt a fix so I will look for a rep!acement.
Thanks again for your help.
Take the opportunity to move up to the DA 18-135 if you can find one at a good price. A much better lens; once you have it, you probably won't use the 18-55 again.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-11-2020 at 09:56 PM.
04-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yep, time to give it the heave ho.

04-11-2020, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-50 is also an upgrade but smaller still. I like both and if probably give up the 18-50 before the 18-135. But you should at least think about the 18-50 before you decide.
04-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 18-50 is also an upgrade but smaller still. I like both and if probably give up the 18-50 before the 18-135. But you should at least think about the 18-50 before you decide.
Yes I am considering the the 18-50 as well as numerous other options. There's so much used glass on eBay where does one start at? Is buying glass on eBay safe? At any rate it's like the provably " kid in a candy store". As I'm new to buying lenses where does one start at?I
What questions to ask?
04-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
Yes I am considering the the 18-50 as well as numerous other options. There's so much used glass on eBay where does one start at? Is buying glass on eBay safe? At any rate it's like the provably " kid in a candy store". As I'm new to buying lenses where does one start at?I
What questions to ask?
EvilBay is ok, but my experiences there lead me to say there's a lot of exaggerating of quality. The marketplace here on the website has been the opposite, with most people giving very detailed description of minor flaws. I've returned several eBay items, not one item from the marketplace has required that.
04-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
EvilBay is ok, but my experiences there lead me to say there's a lot of exaggerating of quality. The marketplace here on the website has been the opposite, with most people giving very detailed description of minor flaws. I've returned several eBay items, not one item from the marketplace has required that.
I get nervous about ebay stuff, some seem to be sketchy. Some sellers will lead you to believe the Sun is really ice cream
04-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a lot of stuff on eBay but I learned a lot about lens repair. It's hard to say they all suck because every seller is different. One interesting thing - you know how some people claim that smartphones take great photos all the time? A few minutes looking at eBay disproves that.