Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As far as a wide angle zoom is concerned, the Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF 193 was highly rated for performance in its day, pretty good even wide open, and very impressive at smaller apertures. Made for FF use on 35mm film bodies. It is the least expensive of such Tokina models, very modest in price, but the plastic body quality is of a sturdy nature for this type of construction- just look for one in perfect shape.

It will be difficult to come up with good wide angle performance to beat your DA 18-55mm kit lens, which is designed for modern APS-C DSLR use, especially at mid apertures, without spending some money. Be sure to watch focusing. This kit lens is not all that reliable for AF. For a better performance at wide angle, you could look at some wide angle prime lenses (non-zoom) in the 12-15mm range. There are some manual-focus types out there having very good reports.

As to a wide-angle modern zoom lens made for APS-C bodies, I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (capable of f/3.5 all the way through the zoom range) EX DC HSM of which I think very highly.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-13-2020 at 09:29 PM.
04-13-2020, 10:09 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
For a manual focus lens at a "reasonable" price you'll do well with one of my favourites, the Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm f/2.5 #02B. The PKA adaptor obviously makes life a little easier, but if your happy working in manual the "ordinary" PK adaptors are somewhat cheaper. The wider angle Adaptall-2 lenses still command a premium price, but the 28mm seems to have been popular enough for there to be plenty around
After that, the Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 is usually inexpensive, or you'll probably find a Sigma or Vivitar within budget. A lens-hood is often an investment with these older lenses, also, as you're using manual focus, you can use an "old-fashioned" linear polariser ,which are usually much cheaper these days than a circular polariser
Enjoy
Very interesting kypfer, will certainly look into these lenses you kindly recommended. Many thanks kypfer
04-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For vintage I would just find a K28/3.5 - best value for a traditional wide prime out there. About $100
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Alternative K24/2.8, but harder to find, About $130
SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Your challenge will be finding a high image quality K-mount wide angle lens in your price range that compensates for the 1.5x crop factor of your K-5 APSc sensor. 28mm has the equivalent FoV as a 42mm lens would on FF. To achieve an equivalent FoV of a FF lens on a APSc sensor camera you multiply the traditional (FF) focal length x .67 to have an equivalent FoV. For a 28mm equivalent you would need about a 21mm lens, so a DA21/3.2 Limited is your starting point for a K-5. They’re about $325 new. A zoom that gets you in that range would also work, such as a DA 17~70 is also about $325.
04-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I bought my Sigma 24mm from a company in the UK--Ffordes Photographic and would buy from them again. Pentax Fit | Ffordes Photographic
A good suggestion johnyates, will definitley look into it. Thanks again johnyates

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have a range of Pentax 28mm from the Takumar thread mounts ( S-M-C/Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ) through to the A series Pentax. I have compared them and the A series seems to be slightly ahead in IQ. The Takumar Bayonets ( Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ) are of the same era as the "A" and perform almost as well and can be real "bang for buck" because they get bad press. The M 28 2.8 with the silver ring is the only Pentax to avoid. ( SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database )
As far as wider lenses I have not found a vintage lens with good enough performance to beat a couple of 28mm shots stitched. Of course there are situations where this doesn't work.
You've been a great help gum, some excellent information you kindly gave. Many many thanks for your time.

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I’m of the opinion that any vintage k- mount prime will do, A setting even better. Any focal length is useful for landscapes, and primes are generally better than zooms, especially in vintage lenses. You have a few suggestions for a 24mm, if you can find one in your prices range that’s good, they are normally very good because they were never cheap. But you can take good landscapes at any focal length!
Thanks Ramsey buckeye, "a" mount definitely worth looking at. Will check them out now. Immense thanks Ramsey buckeye.

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I’m of the opinion that any vintage k- mount prime will do, A setting even better. Any focal length is useful for landscapes, and primes are generally better than zooms, especially in vintage lenses. You have a few suggestions for a 24mm, if you can find one in your prices range that’s good, they are normally very good because they were never cheap. But you can take good landscapes at any focal length!
Thanks Ramsey buckeye, "a" mount definitely worth looking at. Will check them out now. Immense thanks Ramsey buckeye.

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I use this one SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database on a K50 and K70 and like it very much. It's not very expensive. Also, I don't normally like ultra wide landscape shots. I would rather do a series merged into a panoramic. 28mm is too wide for me on a 35mm film or FF camera. About right on a crop sensor.
Some great advice dws1, stitching could well be the way forward. Many thanks dws1

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I use this one SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database on a K50 and K70 and like it very much. It's not very expensive. Also, I don't normally like ultra wide landscape shots. I would rather do a series merged into a panoramic. 28mm is too wide for me on a 35mm film or FF camera. About right on a crop sensor.
Some great advice dws1, stitching could well be the way forward. Many thanks dws1

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
As far as a wide angle zoom is concerned, the Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF 193 was highly rated for performance in its day, pretty good even wide open, and very impressive at smaller apertures. Made for FF use on 35mm film bodies. It is the least expensive of such Tokina models, very modest in price, but the plastic body quality is of a sturdy nature for this type of construction- just look for one in perfect shape.

It will be difficult to come up with good wide angle performance to beat your DA 18-55mm kit lens, which is designed for modern APS-C DSLR use, especially at mid apertures, without spending some money. Be sure to watch focusing. This kit lens is not all that reliable for AF. For a better performance at wide angle, you could look at some wide angle prime lenses (non-zoom) in the 12-15mm range. There are some manual-focus types out there having very good reports.

As to a wide-angle modern zoom lens made for APS-C bodies, I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (capable of f/3.5 all the way through the zoom range) EX DC HSM of which I think very highly.
Just looked the sigma up and I can get a used sigma 10-20mm for £150 which seems very cheap. Very very grateful mikesbike, great suggestions.

04-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
Hi all, as the title suggests I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations regards a cheap vintage wide angle lens to mount on my k5. I've been watching YouTube and so far I've come up with a Konica hexinon 28mm f3.5 (unsure if it will fit on my k5). The reason I ask for vintage is firstly I'm on a very tight budget and secondly it'll obviously be manual focus but for landscapes it makes no difference. Another possibility was an Olympus I'm 28mm f3.5 but again I'm unsure of whether it'll fit. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
My all time favorite vintage wide angle lens is the Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8. I did a comparison to the FA 31 in this thread a few years ago, liked the Contax better. Because at the time I was still trying out every highly rated lens I could, I later sold it. But after I'd tried many dozens of lenses, and liked none better,I bought another and it now permanently resides in my 28mm slot (got the Contax 21 for my UWA, another beauty). You have to get a Leitax adapter for about $75, but mint Contax 28 lenses regularly sell on eBay for between $200 and $300 (make sure it is a MMJ version). Beautiful glass, classic all metal Zeiss quality, a real treasure and bargain. Here's a great review by Sirens.
04-14-2020, 01:37 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
My all time favorite vintage wide angle lens is the Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8. I did a comparison to the FA 31 in this thread a few years ago, liked the Contax better. Because at the time I was still trying out every highly rated lens I could, I later sold it. But after I'd tried many dozens of lenses, and liked none better,I bought another and it now permanently resides in my 28mm slot (got the Contax 21 for my UWA, another beauty). You have to get a Leitax adapter for about $75, but mint Contax 28 lenses regularly sell on eBay for between $200 and $300 (make sure it is a MMJ version). Beautiful glass, classic all metal Zeiss quality, a real treasure and bargain. Here's a great review by Sirens.
A great recommendation Les3547, will be sure to check these out. It's people like yourself who make this hobby so worthwhile. Immense thanks.
04-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I would stick to K-mount lenses, it's not as if there is any shortage of them. I'm not sure Konica or Olympus mount lenses will be compatible at all.

In most lens manfacturer's line-ups, the f/3.5 28mm lenses were cheaper and optically worse than their faster f/2.8 offerings. Not so for Pentax. Both the K and M series 28mm f/3.5 lenses are extremely sharp, even wide open. The K is better, adding great rendering to that sharpness, while the M has a rather dull and flat rendering. The K is a bit rare though, and expensive, especially as it's widely known to be very good. The M is much more common and much cheaper too.

The A series 28mm f/2.8 is very good from f/4 onwards but wide open it's soft. It's rendering is very modern, much like that of the DA Limited lenses, with very neutral but strong colours and great contrast. A good copy will probably cost you about the same as the K 28mm f/3.5, though it'll probably be easier to find.

04-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Keep on the lookout for a Ricoh Rikenon 28mm 2.8 XR or actually in any form.....they usually go for less than $50.
I paid $5 for the last one I scored at a swapmeet
04-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many good tips so far. Best bargain might be the Ricoh 28mm, just avoid the infamous ricoh pin models.
Also Tokina primes (24 or 28mm) can be had at less than 50GBP.

More modern alternatives would be the Pentax DA16-45 or the SMC DA21ltd with AF. I have both.

Seb
04-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Hi all, as the title suggests I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations regards a cheap vintage wide angle lens to mount on my k5. I've been watching YouTube and so far I've come up with a Konica hexinon 28mm f3.5 (unsure if it will fit on my k5). The reason I ask for vintage is firstly I'm on a very tight budget and secondly it'll obviously be manual focus but for landscapes it makes no difference. Another possibility was an Olympus I'm 28mm f3.5 but again I'm unsure of whether it'll fit. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
My suggestion is to diagnose the problem with your existing situation. The 18-55 (I assume the original metal-mount version that I have) should not be that bad a lens, but like all lenses there can be bad copies. I would post some full-res images (hosted elsewhere probably - not on the forum necessarily) at f8 or f11, but first check the corners to make sure they're all the same. Post the exif so people can see somewhat what you're doing. The photos have to be of a nature to show the problem you're experiencing. Brick walls are good, but not if you're only experiencing problems at more "landscape" distances, and are happy with your brick walls photos. Also what are you comparing your results against? Remember you have 16mp and and AA filter you're shooting through. You're going to have to sharpen the images to compensate for the filter at least. I have used primes and zooms and if you have a good copy of a fairly good lens, I don't think you're going to get disappointing results unless maybe you compare to a 50/60mp body and some serious glass - and you just aren't going to get to that level no matter what you do with what you have.
04-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Fast 28mm wide angle, also sold under the Vivitar marque, can be found in M42, PK and, more rarely, PKA, mounts (pic 2).
Construction; 8 elements in 8 groups
Filter Diameter: 55mm
Aperture: f2 - f16, half clicks, with DOF scale on barrel
Iris: 6 blades
CFD: 0.3m / 12"
Focus throw: ~ 120 deg rotation
Length: 5cms.
Weight: 284g / 10oz
FOV: 66 Degrees (Horizontal) on full frame.

For contemporary magazine reviews of this lens see here.
Review by vintage lens reviews.
Test on full frame sony A7R by Dan Eurrit (PF u/n OSV).
These kirons are well known for having sticky iris's due to deterioration of the helicoid grease causing oil to get onto the blades. There is a repair article here.
Mount Type: Pentax K

Read more at: Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

not sure if you can find one though
04-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I would stick to K-mount lenses, it's not as if there is any shortage of them. I'm not sure Konica or Olympus mount lenses will be compatible at all.

In most lens manfacturer's line-ups, the f/3.5 28mm lenses were cheaper and optically worse than their faster f/2.8 offerings. Not so for Pentax. Both the K and M series 28mm f/3.5 lenses are extremely sharp, even wide open. The K is better, adding great rendering to that sharpness, while the M has a rather dull and flat rendering. The K is a bit rare though, and expensive, especially as it's widely known to be very good. The M is much more common and much cheaper too.

The A series 28mm f/2.8 is very good from f/4 onwards but wide open it's soft. It's rendering is very modern, much like that of the DA Limited lenses, with very neutral but strong colours and great contrast. A good copy will probably cost you about the same as the K 28mm f/3.5, though it'll probably be easier to find.
I think you're right Jonathan, I'm gonna check the k-mount lenses out. Thanks very much for your time, very much appreciated.

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Keep on the lookout for a Ricoh Rikenon 28mm 2.8 XR or actually in any form.....they usually go for less than $50.
I paid $5 for the last one I scored at a swapmeet
Absolute bargain Ronald, I think bargains are becoming harder to come by nowadays. Thanks for your reply ronald

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 11:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Many good tips so far. Best bargain might be the Ricoh 28mm, just avoid the infamous ricoh pin models.
Also Tokina primes (24 or 28mm) can be had at less than 50GBP.

More modern alternatives would be the Pentax DA16-45 or the SMC DA21ltd with AF. I have both.

Seb
Thanks seb, some good options there. Will check these lenses out. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 11:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
My suggestion is to diagnose the problem with your existing situation. The 18-55 (I assume the original metal-mount version that I have) should not be that bad a lens, but like all lenses there can be bad copies. I would post some full-res images (hosted elsewhere probably - not on the forum necessarily) at f8 or f11, but first check the corners to make sure they're all the same. Post the exif so people can see somewhat what you're doing. The photos have to be of a nature to show the problem you're experiencing. Brick walls are good, but not if you're only experiencing problems at more "landscape" distances, and are happy with your brick walls photos. Also what are you comparing your results against? Remember you have 16mp and and AA filter you're shooting through. You're going to have to sharpen the images to compensate for the filter at least. I have used primes and zooms and if you have a good copy of a fairly good lens, I don't think you're going to get disappointing results unless maybe you compare to a 50/60mp body and some serious glass - and you just aren't going to get to that level no matter what you do with what you have.
I think I'm being "sucked" into the sharpness trap to bits. Prior to owning my k5 I had a Fuji x-t2 with a 16-50mm f2.8 (not kit lens) and I've never seen anything sharper than that lens. I paid £750 for it and stupidly I'm trying to create the same results with an inferior set up. I really appreciate your lengthy reply tibbitts and will take on board all you say.

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 11:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

Read more at: Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

not sure if you can find one though
Aslyfox you're a gem, can't thank you enough for all your help in this thread. Much appreciated pal
04-16-2020, 05:13 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Just looked the sigma up and I can get a used sigma 10-20mm for £150 which seems very cheap. Very very grateful mikesbike, great suggestions.
I like my Sigma zoom 10-20mm F3.5 if you can find one in your price range I would recommend you consider it

you should be able to see photos taken with it ( and other Sigma lenses ) in this thread:

The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/94597-sigma-lens-club-all...ml#post4727441

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/94597-sigma-lens-club-all...ml#post4719164

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-16-2020 at 05:19 AM.
04-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Prior to owning my k5 I had a Fuji x-t2 with a 16-50mm f2.8 (not kit lens) and I've never seen anything sharper than that lens
It's not really the lens itself, but the entire system. The sensor lacks an AA filter and the photos are processed in-camera to boost perceived sharpness, saturation, micro contrast, etc. You can get similar results with most modern lenses by shooting raw and boosting sharpness and clarity with a touch of dehaze in post processing. You can also adjust in-camera attributes to produce these results. Vintage glass often lacks the helpful coatings common on today's lenses though they can produce pleasing results unrelated to sharpness or benefit to landscape photos.

In my 40+ years as a hobbyist, I've found that good technique often trumps optics. IOW, using a very sturdy, properly weighted tripod, remote release, mirror up, e-shutter (if appropriate), often make more difference to a sharpness fanatic than a new lens.
04-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like roger's replay just up the page from what I'm writing now. Figure out how to kill it with that kit lens; assuming it isn't damaged (and that is a bit of an assumption as it may be decentered or similarly out of alignment) it should do reasonably well in the middle of its zoom range from f8 to f11. Another low cost lens available on the used market is the Pentax 16-45 f4; they don't seem to go for a lot and I really like the images others have shared from it. With a tripod the relatively slow max aperture is not a big deal.

But really, get a handle on that 18-55 first, unless you really think the lens is just not in good condition. Sharing shots here that you've taken and are not happy with, with EXIF data, can help as people will provide feedback that can be very helpful.