Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, in addition to providing phenomenal wide-angle shots, and having the constant f/3.5 aperture for low light advantage, has test results showing nearly absent linear distortion at 12mm on, which is a good thing when linear subjects are in the composition- like buildings, etc. or indoor shots. Of course, there is always the perspective distortion inherent with all wide angle shooting, depending on the camera-to-subject angle and distance. For the price it is hard to match its performance and versatility. If you have spotted a used one in fine condition, especially if it is amongst a whole system being sold, it would present a very attractive option. It is a very well-built lens, and vey well designed and well engineered.

04-16-2020, 12:52 PM - 4 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
Hi all, as the title suggests I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations regards a cheap vintage wide angle lens to mount on my k5. I've been watching YouTube and so far I've come up with a Konica hexinon 28mm f3.5 (unsure if it will fit on my k5). The reason I ask for vintage is firstly I'm on a very tight budget and secondly it'll obviously be manual focus but for landscapes it makes no difference. Another possibility was an Olympus I'm 28mm f3.5 but again I'm unsure of whether it'll fit. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
If you want, I'll send you a Soligor 28mm/2.8 free of charge - it's an M42 mount but I'll throw in an adapter too. All I'd ask would be for you to cover the shipping.
05-08-2020, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, in addition to providing phenomenal wide-angle shots, and having the constant f/3.5 aperture for low light advantage, has test results showing nearly absent linear distortion at 12mm on, which is a good thing when linear subjects are in the composition- like buildings, etc. or indoor shots. Of course, there is always the perspective distortion inherent with all wide angle shooting, depending on the camera-to-subject angle and distance. For the price it is hard to match its performance and versatility. If you have spotted a used one in fine condition, especially if it is amongst a whole system being sold, it would present a very attractive option. It is a very well-built lens, and vey well designed and well engineered.
Hi mikesbike, sincere apologies for the late reply (I thought the thread was dead). Some great advice I really appreciate it......davey

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 02:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If you want, I'll send you a Soligor 28mm/2.8 free of charge - it's an M42 mount but I'll throw in an adapter too. All I'd ask would be for you to cover the shipping.
Hi bertwert, sincere apologies for the late reply I thought the conversation was over (I'm not very up on forums sites). If your kind offer still stands I'd be delighted to take you up on it. You are extremely generous and I thank you immensely.......davey

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 02:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like my Sigma zoom 10-20mm F3.5 if you can find one in your price range I would recommend you consider it

you should be able to see photos taken with it ( and other Sigma lenses ) in this thread:

The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses - PentaxForums.com

The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com

The Sigma Lens Club- All lenses - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com
Hi aslyfox, sincere apologies for my late reply. I'm not a regular forum user and I thought the conversation was over. Thank you once more for your great advice aslyfox means a lot.

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 02:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's not really the lens itself, but the entire system. The sensor lacks an AA filter and the photos are processed in-camera to boost perceived sharpness, saturation, micro contrast, etc. You can get similar results with most modern lenses by shooting raw and boosting sharpness and clarity with a touch of dehaze in post processing. You can also adjust in-camera attributes to produce these results. Vintage glass often lacks the helpful coatings common on today's lenses though they can produce pleasing results unrelated to sharpness or benefit to landscape photos.

In my 40+ years as a hobbyist, I've found that good technique often trumps optics. IOW, using a very sturdy, properly weighted tripod, remote release, mirror up, e-shutter (if appropriate), often make more difference to a sharpness fanatic than a new lens.
Hi rogerstg, can I please apologise for my late reply. I'm not a regular user of forum sites and I thought the conversation was over. To be honest I have quite a bit of trouble finding my way around the site but what I have found is that its members are so helpful. Thanks once more for your lengthy reply regerstg, means a great deal.

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 02:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I really like roger's replay just up the page from what I'm writing now. Figure out how to kill it with that kit lens; assuming it isn't damaged (and that is a bit of an assumption as it may be decentered or similarly out of alignment) it should do reasonably well in the middle of its zoom range from f8 to f11. Another low cost lens available on the used market is the Pentax 16-45 f4; they don't seem to go for a lot and I really like the images others have shared from it. With a tripod the relatively slow max aperture is not a big deal.

But really, get a handle on that 18-55 first, unless you really think the lens is just not in good condition. Sharing shots here that you've taken and are not happy with, with EXIF data, can help as people will provide feedback that can be very helpful.
Hi pres589, I send my apologies for my late reply. I'm not a regular user of forum sites and I naively thought the conversation was over til I went back to it for reference purposes. I'd like to thank you immensely for your input as it makes so much sense. Kindest regards pres589......davey
05-08-2020, 04:33 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
speaking for myself, no problems with any delay in responding
and I am going out on a limb here and say that is true of the other members as well

and if you have further questions, start another thread or reach out to members by pm if that is your wish

just go out and have fun

and we are looking forward to whatever contributions, if any, you choose to make to the forums

05-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
speaking for myself, no problems with any delay in responding
and I am going out on a limb here and say that is true of the other members as well

and if you have further questions, start another thread or reach out to members by pm if that is your wish

just go out and have fun

and we are looking forward to whatever contributions, if any, you choose to make to the forums
Thanks for your reassurance aslyfox, thought I'd blown it with everyone.
05-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hi bertwert, sincere apologies for the late reply I thought the conversation was over (I'm not very up on forums sites). If your kind offer still stands I'd be delighted to take you up on it. You are extremely generous and I thank you immensely.......davey
Offer still stands, as I don't use it so it would make sense to go to someone that would, though shipping won't be very quick these days. I haven't got my 18-55 anymore to compare it to the 28 - but the sharpness on the 28 is decent, though nothing to write home about. As it's a fully manual lens, being M42, there's a bit of a learning curve to using it, but if you still want it I can include some basic instructions (there's also an excellent guide on the site here). Also replying to your PM
05-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Offer still stands, as I don't use it so it would make sense to go to someone that would, though shipping won't be very quick these days. I haven't got my 18-55 anymore to compare it to the 28 - but the sharpness on the 28 is decent, though nothing to write home about. As it's a fully manual lens, being M42, there's a bit of a learning curve to using it, but if you still want it I can include some basic instructions (there's also an excellent guide on the site here). Also replying to your PM
You're a top man Robert you really are. I'll be in touch very soon and thank you immensely.......davey

05-08-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're a top man Robert you really are. I'll be in touch very soon and thank you immensely.......davey
and to top it off

he plays bagpipes as well