Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
About as stealthy as a bazooka...
Yeah. I was mounting my M 400/5.6 on the MZ-S one day, and the interpreter at the Creston Wildlife Refuge said "You can tell they mean it when they haul out the bazookas."

02-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hey Vizjerei - how did that 400mm work out for you? I just ordered an M 400mm 5.6 and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I only want to hear good things. If anyone else out there has this lens I would appreciate your insights.

Tom G
You can check out some samples on my Flickr site, including one taken wide open of a backlit mule deer doe on the snow. Lots of red fringe!
02-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
haha i guess M42 is purple fringe then, maybe we can get a whole rainbow color with different models
02-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
haha i guess M42 is purple fringe then, maybe we can get a whole rainbow color with different models
Maybe all of us with the various models of 400/5.6 could go on a shoot togeter and take the same photo of a subject wide open. The variations would be great fun. Anybody out there have an early Pentax M42 400 - one without SMC or S-M-C or Super-Multi-Coating designation?

02-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Anybody out there have an early Pentax M42 400 - one without SMC or S-M-C or Super-Multi-Coating designation?
Yep. I have the Tele Takumar 400mm f/5.6. I think it's the same build as the SMC (manual aperture, single ring) but with the, um, less-super, less-multi, coating.

I just had it up in the mountains, and I didn't think CA or fringing was particularly bad, honestly. My modern Tamron 70-300 out-purples it by miles.

When I have a chance (probably not today) I'll put together a small gallery of sample shots, including some high-contrast ones. Unfortunately, I generally don't remember what aperture I used for each shot, unless I took a sequence at various apertures, and I might have some instances of that.

In the meantime, there's this single example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/479114-post1471.html

I also just posted a review, yesterday:

Pentax Lens Review Database - 400mm F5.6
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Yep. I have the Tele Takumar 400mm f/5.6. I think it's the same build as the SMC (manual aperture, single ring) but with the, um, less-super, less-multi, coating.

I just had it up in the mountains, and I didn't think CA or fringing was particularly bad, honestly. My modern Tamron 70-300 out-purples it by miles.

When I have a chance (probably not today) I'll put together a small gallery of sample shots, including some high-contrast ones. Unfortunately, I generally don't remember what aperture I used for each shot, unless I took a sequence at various apertures, and I might have some instances of that.

In the meantime, there's this single example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/479114-post1471.html

I also just posted a review, yesterday:

Pentax Lens Review Database - 400mm F5.6
that's not fair comparison as that particular model of Tamron is well know holder of black belt of "purple master dan"