Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

My first try at removing yellow cast on my Takumar

Hi y'all, I'm new in this forum (been reading it for months) I just got my first s-m-c takumar 50mm 1.4 with slight yellowing and greasey insides (I suspect it was not treated very well) Just opened it and gave it a good clean. That made me wonder...

1. If I leave the 3 rear elements out in the sun would that be a bad idea?

2. Do you think I could achieve a faster yellow removal than the normal way?

3. In your experience how yellow is this lens?

Very excited to start using the lens, just waiting for the adapter

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Mi 9T  Photo 
04-19-2020, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UV light will de-yellow the lens elements. Some people have reported success using an LED UV lamp: Very little heat to do any damage and no need to disassemble. Plus, likely much quicker than leaving the lens elements in the sun. Still from what I have read, you're looking at many hours even under a dedicated UV lamp to see good results.
04-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. In my opinion that lens is not very yellowed. I think the S.M.C model is less prone than the sup tak 7 element that came before it. Take a look at this thread I started about the subject.
So should I bleach my 50s - PentaxForums.com
Interesting input from people that regret bleaching the lens and other points of view.
I ended up not bothering to do it.
04-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Super Takumar 35/2 that was quite yellow - I bought an LED UV lamp (such as Mark mentioned above) from Amazon - sat the lens on the lamp for a day, turned it over for another day - worked like a charm...

04-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. Today I left it in the sun for 4-5hrs then I found a little UV lamp used for curing glue of a screen protector, I think it's too weak cause it's USB and just 3 little leds but don't wanna risk getting the lens too hot. I'll check it in a week to see if it did something.

Can I ideally expect the lens to become completely clear? Or once yellowed it will always have a slight yellow color?
04-20-2020, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The key to using a UV lamp is to get it right on the lens. Even a few inches away will significantly delay and prolong the process.