Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2020, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Sy 14 is a pretty cool lens in certain respects but mine is very rarely used as well. I actually took my first shot with it in 2020 last night, an hour-long exposure on black & white film from my roof. It's fun once in a while but either my Tamron 17 or Pentax M 20 get more use by far.
You almost have to go out looking for places to use it. This summer out at the lake though, I can hardly wait.

I'll be working on a "campfire under the stars " shot.

Last edited by normhead; 04-25-2020 at 07:26 AM.
04-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #32
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've heard my Vivitar 13mm f/2.8 is a 'rebrand' of the Samyang 14mm f/2.8.
However, I've read a lot of complaints about the quality of the Samyang and I really feel like my Vivitar is of good quality (optically and physically, for it's price).
In addition, I've noticed that the minimum focusing distance is different between the two and there are a different amount of elements used..
At any rate, I can recommend the Vivitar 13mm f/2.8 for APS-C anyway, results might be very different for me if I had a K-1..
04-22-2020, 12:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apparently Samyang has 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16mm for FF. Never used any of them, been tempted.
They can be had used really cheap..

Seb
04-22-2020, 01:20 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have been looking for a full-frame prime or zoom lens in the 15-20mm area. I once had a K-series 20 mm F4 : it was stolen. Now I find that even old manual lenses like that are offered for several £100s, and more modern used FAs for example are in the £400-500 range. In contrast, I got a mint Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 recently for only £29, and that focal lenght is probably about the same "distance" away from standard, in the opposite direction.

Is it just rarity on the used market? Is it that most users will add a telephoto as the next after the kit lens, but far fewer go on to add a wide angle, let alone an ultra-wide?
Your 20 mm went for free, the zoom cost you money. Looks like wide angles are cheap.

Last edited by zapp; 04-22-2020 at 01:28 AM.
04-22-2020, 03:00 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right now, I would go either for an Irix or Samyang prime. Those aren't too badly priced.

I do expect Pentax to eventually release a 20-ish mm prime. I would love that as sort of a DA 15 limited for full frame. I imagine it won't have a super-fast aperture (something between f2 and 2.8), will be very flare resistant. Unfortunately, it will probably be in the 600 dollar range on release, but may drop a bit afterward. Even more unfortunately, it is probably a couple of years away. Still, the DFA 15-30 is a nice lens that works well in the meantime.
04-22-2020, 04:01 AM   #36
Unregistered User

I would echo the advice from @Clackers, @Pinholecam & @Rondec regarding Irix full-frame lenses. At least as good, optically, as anything else on the market, and superior build quality. I've got the 11mm "Blackstone", and I think it's a terrific lens. I paid about $650 for it, new, and I've seen 'em advertised as used for half that much. They also make one in 15mm. Only deficiency is lack of autofocus, but at the depth of field those lenses produce, it doesn't make much difference. There are less-expensive "Firefly" versions that use more plastic and are not quite so aggressive in their weather-resistence, but identical optically.
04-22-2020, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Apparently Samyang has 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16mm for FF. Never used any of them, been tempted.
They can be had used really cheap..

Seb
Off the top of my head, the Sy 16 is a crop-only lens, and I can't remember about the 8 FE but I want to say it is as well. There's also the Sy 20 f1.8 which I think is pretty good glass but I don't think it's as low cost as the others you mentioned.

04-22-2020, 08:43 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Ultra wide lenses such as 15mm and 20mm were expensive back when they were sold new. That means that relatively few were sold and produced, making them rare. The bottom line is that it's a seller's market as far as UWA goes.

Pentax once ran an ad campaign on how few 15mm lenses they sold.
I have the A version of that lens. When I ordered it, I was told it would be a bit of a wait, as it had to be assembled for me in Japan. I joked that if they were doing a build to order would it be possible to put a little plaque on it saying "Custom built for Wheatfield"? That, unfortunately, wasn't done. I think it would have been really cool.
Anyway, even if it doesn't say so, my A15/3.5 was custom built for Wheatfield.
When I bought it, the DA 15mm lens hadn't been marketed yet, and so I was using it as a semi wide angle on whatever APS-C camera I was using at the time.
I'm quite fond of the thing, especially now that I can use it on a full frame camera. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed, and it vignettes quite badly, but it's such a cool looking lens.
04-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have been looking for a full-frame prime or zoom lens in the 15-20mm area. I once had a K-series 20 mm F4 : it was stolen. Now I find that even old manual lenses like that are offered for several £100s, and more modern used FAs for example are in the £400-500 range. In contrast, I got a mint Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 recently for only £29, and that focal lenght is probably about the same "distance" away from standard, in the opposite direction.

Is it just rarity on the used market? Is it that most users will add a telephoto as the next after the kit lens, but far fewer go on to add a wide angle, let alone an ultra-wide?
I love the Irix 15mm.
04-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
but it's such a cool looking lens.
And in the end that's all that matters
04-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Off the top of my head, the Sy 16 is a crop-only lens, and I can't remember about the 8 FE but I want to say it is as well. There's also the Sy 20 f1.8 which I think is pretty good glass but I don't think it's as low cost as the others you mentioned.
AFAIK the Samyang 8mm becomes a circular fisheye on full frame. I can confirm that it works well on crop frame, as I have one. Unfortunately I do not have a full frame body (yet) so I can't say anything about how well that works.

04-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
AFAIK the Samyang 8mm becomes a circular fisheye on full frame.
Those with a removable hood will project a cropped (top and bottom) circle on FF with the hood removed and a rectangular "hood-made" crop with the hood on. The FOV within the circle with the hood off is a bit more than 180°, but not much more. The video below shows both views.

https://youtu.be/VlEJOU0FjDI?t=104

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2020 at 02:53 PM.
04-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have the A version of that lens. When I ordered it, I was told it would be a bit of a wait, as it had to be assembled for me in Japan. I joked that if they were doing a build to order would it be possible to put a little plaque on it saying "Custom built for Wheatfield"? That, unfortunately, wasn't done. I think it would have been really cool.
Anyway, even if it doesn't say so, my A15/3.5 was custom built for Wheatfield.
When I bought it, the DA 15mm lens hadn't been marketed yet, and so I was using it as a semi wide angle on whatever APS-C camera I was using at the time.
I'm quite fond of the thing, especially now that I can use it on a full frame camera. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed, and it vignettes quite badly, but it's such a cool looking lens.
So Pentax were assembling the A*15mm on a per-order basis at that point? That's wild! I went and looked at the lens database and it says the lens went out of production in 2004... I had no idea they would be selling an A-series lens that recently. I would have never guessed these things.
04-22-2020, 07:06 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

To me, the Venus Laowa 12/2.8 is probably the best 3rd party UWA prime for the K1
1. Wider at 12mm
2. Fast at f2.8
3. Smaller in size than the 14, 15mm options
4. Lower distortion
5. Better Flare tolerance
6. Larger Image circle such that edges retain better IQ even with image composition adj shifted to the extremes
7. Metal build in case you need to lob it at a robber/bear/MIL

IMHO, if one has the coin, get it before the manufacturer gives up on producing it in Pentax mount (not that many sold where I am due to price )
04-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

So Pentax were assembling the A*15mm on a per-order basis at that point? That's wild! I went and looked at the lens database and it says the lens went out of production in 2004... I had no idea they would be selling an A-series lens that recently. I would have never guessed these things.
I don't recall what year I bought it, but if it went out of production in 2004, I probably bought it that year. I do wonder if they were ever not manufactured to order.