Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #1

Dust inside WR lens

Iím looking at a second hand WR lens. Iíve only ever had A and M series lenses before. In the description there is the following message ď There is an extremely minor amount of dust within the lens.Ē.

Now dust inside a lens normally really doesnít bother me in the slightest. However Iím wondering as it is a WR lens this may be something to be concerned about or not in that some of the sealing may be slightly failing. I know it is weather resistant and not weather proof but I thought Iíd ask the learned group before exploring this lens further. Unfortunately Iím unable to view the lens before I buy due to the current Coronavirus measures. However I am able to return it if Iím not satisfied.

So thoughts? Dust inside a WR lens no problem at all or a potential risk?

04-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #2

I wouldn't consider it a problem as its described as minor and as you say, you've the option to return if not satisfied
04-23-2020, 12:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I was just wondering if dust inside is a sign of the weather seals failing prematurely rather than the affect itíll have on the pictures if that makes sense. If it wasnít a WR one I wouldnít be remotely worried but I know nothing of modern WR lenses so just checking if itís something to worry about or if completely normal. I waffle on without getting to what I actually mean sometimes ��
04-23-2020, 12:55 AM   #4

The action of a zoom lens will always push and pull air through the lens, so will accumulate a little dust, nothing to worry about imho, I've lenses that are over 20 years old, they show signs of use and some dust, but nothing shows up on the images

04-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WR isn't total weather sealing... it's just a number of design precautions that significantly reduce (but don't totally eliminate) the likelihood of moisture and dust ingress in light-to-moderate conditions. Especially in zoom lenses without internal focusing, air still gets drawn into the lens, and some dust will get past the WR measures. It's no more of a concern than with any other lens, and doesn't suggest there's anything wrong with the WR aspects of the lens.
04-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok brill thanks.
04-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It happens. But seldom.
04-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The AW on some of the modern high-end lenses should be more secure, especially primes, and zooms that both focus and zoom internally (DA* 70-200).

04-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A lens isn't WR inside of the mount, so it will draw in dust from inside the camera body. Can also happen when the lens is handled off camera.
04-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The AW on some of the modern high-end lenses should be more secure, especially primes, and zooms that both focus and zoom internally (DA* 70-200).
QuoteQuote:
WR: Lenses with the WR designation are weather resistant. They are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust.

. . .

AW, WR: Lenses with the AW (All Weather) or WR (Weather Resistant) designations are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust. AW is the more resistant of the two.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-23-2020 at 04:44 AM.
04-23-2020, 04:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
The action of a zoom lens will always push and pull air through the lens, so will accumulate a little dust, nothing to worry about imho, I've lenses that are over 20 years old, they show signs of use and some dust, but nothing shows up on the images
Donít know the lens but many lenses now with internal focus and zoom donít change volume during either process. That makes them easier to make WR.

Dust is more likely due to what happens when changing lenses, open lens, open camera body, no caps.

It will happen no matter how much care you take
04-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My 55-300 WR RE has lots of dust behind front element. Still, the barrels seem to fit very snugly within each other so the seals seem tight. Looking closely around the front element, the edges look open to the inside, to me. It's possible that I can't see the seal. Even with the dust, that lens is optically VERY much better than it's price indicates. It's a sharp piece of kit.
04-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

As mentioned before, if the lens extends and retracts while zooming in and out it must either breath air in or exhaust air out.
04-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Even brand new off the shelf, there are a few dust particles visible inside a never used lens.

"Minor amount of dust" is basically a standard disclaimer, because dust is always present, yet some buyer may demand a return based on "dust" on a newish or "mint" lens.