Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF 1:2.8 35-70mm lens repair questions

I purchased a non-working Pentax AF 1:2.8 35-70mm lens for spare parts (built for the ME-F camera) and it has a white label stuck on the lens between the lens and the zoom housing, effectively locking the lens into place. The zoom can be pulled in/out. I know the buttons on the lens are used to adjust the focus but the lens will not move like the other one that I have.

The label was on the lens when purchased and came with no explanation other than "the lens does not work". It feels like a permanent label as I cannot gently pull it or work it out. (I have no clue what the info on the label means.) Perhaps by removing the label it might fee up the rotation of the lens?

Obviously, any work on this lens is beyond my capabilities thus I do not want to actually take the lens apart to remove the label. Just curious if the housing could be easily unscrewed to access the label to remove it WITHOUT taking the lens completely apart or having a million tiny pieces fall out.

By chance, would anyone have an exploding diagram of this lens to study it to see if this is even possible? Or other suggestions (obviously sending it Eric is first on my list.)

Curiosity has me intrigued.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS Max  Photo 
04-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
I purchased a non-working Pentax AF 1:2.8 35-70mm lens for spare parts (built for the ME-F camera) and it has a white label stuck on the lens between the lens and the zoom housing, effectively locking the lens into place. The zoom can be pulled in/out. I know the buttons on the lens are used to adjust the focus but the lens will not move like the other one that I have.

The label was on the lens when purchased and came with no explanation other than "the lens does not work". It feels like a permanent label as I cannot gently pull it or work it out. (I have no clue what the info on the label means.) Perhaps by removing the label it might fee up the rotation of the lens?

Obviously, any work on this lens is beyond my capabilities thus I do not want to actually take the lens apart to remove the label. Just curious if the housing could be easily unscrewed to access the label to remove it WITHOUT taking the lens completely apart or having a million tiny pieces fall out.

By chance, would anyone have an exploding diagram of this lens to study it to see if this is even possible? Or other suggestions (obviously sending it Eric is first on my list.)

Curiosity has me intrigued.
I guess you have tried manual focusing. Because if the sticker is inside the housing of the lens, it must have been screwed in manually with the focusing ring at the front . So it has to be manually screwed out. It is, after all, no IF lens. I assume the "not working" applies to not auto focusing. The buttons on top and at the side only apply to auto focusing.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-26-2020 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Punction!
04-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It almost looks like the stock/asset number sticker that Henry’s puts on their lenses.

I hate to suggest it but have you tried “goo gone“ it is a citronella based adhesive remover . A little migrated into the sticker over time might just get it to slip off the lens
04-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I guess you have tried manual focusing. Because if the sticker is inside the housing of the lens, it must have been screwed in manually with the focusing ring at the front . So it has to be manually screwed out. It is, after all, no IF lens. I assume the "not working" applies to not auto focusing. The buttons on top and at the side only apply to auto focusing.
Yes I tried to manual focus the lens, and that’s how I found out it does not turn at all. It’s definitely “locked” into place.

---------- Post added 04-26-20 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It almost looks like the stock/asset number sticker that Henry’s puts on their lenses.

I hate to suggest it but have you tried “goo gone“ it is a citronella based adhesive remover . A little migrated into the sticker over time might just get it to slip off the lens
I am not aware of Henry. Do you have contact info for him? At least I could contact him to see if it is something he knows of and could possibly shed some light. I did try a blow dryer set on a very high setting to see if I could heat the label enough to gently ease it out. Nada. Thing wouldn’t budge at all. I have a heat gun but really hesitate using it as I don’t want to melt the cover. I am extremely hesitant to put anything under the label for fear of it migrating onto the lens itself.

Even though it was bought for parts, it’d be my luck, I’d ruin whatever part I might need. 😂 I have been known to have a streak of bad luck at times doing things. 😉