Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

catch in focus with laowa 15mm

Hi,
I tried to set the catch in focus with my laowa 15mm but no matter what i do, when the shutter button is depressed it shoots the image. what am i missing

04-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottish_explorer Quote
Hi,
I tried to set the catch in focus with my laowa 15mm but no matter what i do, when the shutter button is depressed it shoots the image. what am i missing
Make sure that in the custom menu you have the 'AF.S Setting' set to 'Focus-priority' rather than 'Release priority', as well as 'Catch-in-Focus' set to 'On'. Furthermore, it can't be set to back-button focus only - AF needs to be able to happen from the shutter button. Also remember the camera needs to be in AF - now the shutter should only release once an object is in focus.

Hope that helps
04-26-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
If you follow the tutorial linked below, all will work for you .Good luck.

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
04-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, I followed the steps and it still takes the shot.
What am not missing? I know I'm not doing something right, I just don't know what it is lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Make sure that in the custom menu you have the 'AF.S Setting' set to 'Focus-priority' rather than 'Release priority', as well as 'Catch-in-Focus' set to 'On'. Furthermore, it can't be set to back-button focus only - AF needs to be able to happen from the shutter button. Also remember the camera needs to be in AF - now the shutter should only release once an object is in focus.

Hope that helps

04-26-2020, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks, I followed the steps and it still takes the shot.
What am not missing? I know I'm not doing something right, I just don't know what it is lol.
Don't worry, I couldn't figure it out for a long time either, and I kept hearing how great it was, but I just recently found the setting that stopped it from working (set to back button only).

Post which body are you using - it will help with troubleshooting a bit. Also, read through the guide Peter posted, if you haven't already.
04-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Don't worry, I couldn't figure it out for a long time either, and I kept hearing how great it was, but I just recently found the setting that stopped it from working (set to back button only).

Post which body are you using - it will help with troubleshooting a bit. Also, read through the guide Peter posted, if you haven't already.
I'm using a k-70. i read the guide but my body isn't covered by the guide unfortunately.
04-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Closed Account

I'm using a k-70..
Page 124 of your K-70 manual has all you need to set CIF. Most users new to CIF set the camera to Manual Focus because they are using a manual focus lens and don't do step 3 in the setting of the camera. If you set the camera EXACTLY as the manual says, all will be fine. Good luck.

Attached Images

04-26-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I'm using a k-70. i read the guide but my body isn't covered by the guide unfortunately.
Alright. I haven't got a K-70, but I've just been skimming through the manual... I've got a list of settings here, go through them all and make sure they're set to that.
  • Custom Menu 'Catch-in Focus' set to 'On'
  • Camera Menu - under 'Button Customization', set 'AF/AE-L' to 'Enable AF1'
  • Physical AF Switch set to AF
  • AF mode set as AF.S
  • AF.S Setting to 'Focus Priority'
  • AF Active Area set to the center point

If those are all good to go, focus your manual lens (which the Laowa is) so that under the center focus point is out of focus. When you press the shutter button now, no picture should be taken. If that's the case, while holding the shutter button down, turn the focus ring and the camera should take the photo once the center point is focused.

Hopefully this gets it working, as catch-in-focus is a useful tool to have
04-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Page 124 of your K-70 manual has all you need to set CIF. Most users new to CIF set the camera to Manual Focus because they are using a manual focus lens and don't do step 3 in the setting of the camera. If you set the camera EXACTLY as the manual says, all will be fine. Good luck.
One thing that the manual omits is that the AF/AE-L button cannot be set to AF2 (back button focus only - disabling shutter button focus). This was my problem when I couldn't get catch-in-focus to work.
04-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

15mm is pretty wide-angle, even on aps-c. My experience with CiF is that it only works (and works well) consistently with lenses of approximately 50mm and up.

I find that even a 28mm lens will trigger focus over a wide range of actual focus distance. So it's no surprise to me to hear of the sort of difficulties you're having with a 15mm lens.

Try CiF with a much longer lens - 50mm, for example. This should at least prove that you're following the correct procedure.
04-27-2020, 04:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Please note that you can try catch in focus with autofocus lenses as well as long as the lens has a true AF/MF (beware of some Tamron) or Clamp switch. The lens has to be set to MF or clamp on and body to AF.
04-27-2020, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you've tried the suggestions above and if it still does not work place a small bit of aluminum foil over the lens contacts on your camera body. I have to do this with non Pentax lenses and it's what I do to get CIF to work with my Lensbaby's.
04-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
15mm is pretty wide-angle, even on aps-c. My experience with CiF is that it only works (and works well) consistently with lenses of approximately 50mm and up.

I find that even a 28mm lens will trigger focus over a wide range of actual focus distance. So it's no surprise to me to hear of the sort of difficulties you're having with a 15mm lens.

Try CiF with a much longer lens - 50mm, for example. This should at least prove that you're following the correct procedure.
What he said. Ultra wide angles have lots of DOF. There might be something in the scene that is in focus. Setting the AP point to center would make things more predictable. Try a different lens or a different scene.
04-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll try these suggestions when I get home tonight.
I should add that the 15mm is also a macro lens which is why I was hoping to use CIF on it.
We'll see if we can get it working.
Thanks again everyone.
04-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #15
Closed Account

I'll try these suggestions when I get home tonight.
Another setting to check for.

Pentax K-70 and Venus Optics Laowa 15mm F4 Macro - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com