Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D FA 70-210 f4

The news section states that many have picked up on this lens but there are only 3 users reviews on the lens database. Any more out there using this lens?

04-28-2020, 04:35 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
don't know myself

just curious have you seen the most recent " In Depth " review posted here at the forums ?

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR\
Introduction

Since the launch of their first full frame DSLR, Pentax has been hard at work fleshing out the line-up of lenses compatible with that format. Some well-regarded older designs, such as the FA Limited, have been kept, and a number of modern lenses have also been released.

The most recent addition to this list is the HD D FA 70-210mm F4, a high-quality, relatively fast aperture, telephoto zoom . . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-28-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The 70-200 f4 focal length was requested a lot last year, it was often stated that the DFA 70-200 f2.8 was too large, too heavy and too expensive. Indeed I am rather surprised that there are only 3 reviews of this so much awaited lens.
04-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 70-200 f4 focal length was requested a lot last year, it was often stated that the DFA 70-200 f2.8 was too large, too heavy and too expensive. Indeed I am rather surprised that there are only 3 reviews of this so much awaited lens.
Well, the D FA 70-210 is not exactly cheap either. It is about half the price of the 70-200, but I do not think that is affordable. After all, it is just a lens. So I can imagine that not many people want to buy this lens.

04-28-2020, 06:04 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Well, the D FA 70-210 is not exactly cheap either. It is about half the price of the 70-200, but I do not think that is affordable. After all, it is just a lens. So I can imagine that not many people want to buy this lens.
I don't have the 70-210 F4, I have the older larger heavier * 70-200mm F2.8

the two lenses seem to address two different markets - similar to the 55-300mm PLM and the 150-450mm

to make myself clear, this is not a comment against the 70-210mm, just my observations that they seem to be direct to different markets

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW telephoto zoom lens was announced at the CP+ tradeshow in February, 2015 preceding the announcement of the K-1 Pentax 24x36mm full-frame DSLR. Together with the HD Pentax 150-450mm extreme telephoto zoom lens these are the first Pentax lenses to cover the 24x36 mm full-frame format since the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR lens, which was introduced back in 2009.

While this lens is designed for the 24x36mm full-frame format it can also be used on cameras with the APS-C sensor format. With a respectable maximum aperture of F2.8 and rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh this zoom can be used as a portrait lens in addition to its more traditional use for sports, wild life and distant landscapes.

This lens is pro-grade as indicated by its star designation and also by its feature list:
* All-weather protection (AW)
* HD coating
* SP coating of the front element
* Aerobright II nano-coating of the inner elements
* Four super-low dispersion elements, two ED elements and two super ED elements with properties like flourite elements
* Enhanced Quick-shift function via a three-way switch on the barrel
* Focus limiter
* Tripod mount

The lens hood has the for Pentax traditional removable piece that allows for easy adjustment of an attached polarizing filter.

The lens has a built-in DC type autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus not possible with the K100D/K110D and *istD series cameras. Autofocus is not available with film cameras.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Introduction
In order to cater to professional photographers, a manufacturer must meet several requirements. In addition to a full frame body, a 70-200mm F2.8 telephoto lens is very high on the list. It is thus not very surprising that Pentax released its own version of that lens just prior to the launch of the Pentax K-1 itself. . . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-28-2020 at 06:32 AM.
04-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the lens, but don’t feel like I can offer a proper review, I don’t think I know enough/experienced enough to make judgements.

I’ve struggled with the ergonomics of the lens, and as the in-depth review pointed out, the bokeh can be busy. Also mine front-focused a lot and it took me a bit to figure that out, but I think I have it adjusted correctly. I need to shoot more with it to become friends with it - my initial reaction was disappointment and agreed with those who thought it was over-priced. But as I overcome some of the issues, especially the front-focus, I think I will use it a lot - it is better optically than my original version of the DA55-300 (a lens I strongly dislike).

It seems to work reasonably well with the DA1.4 TC, at least in bright outdoor light, shooting with the KP. But I’ve only taken a couple of shots with it so don’t know if it would be a good combination overall or not.
04-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, the D FA 70-210 is not exactly cheap either. It is about half the price of the 70-200, but I do not think that is affordable.
It's expensive compare to Tamrons or old FA lenses on ebay.
04-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was planning to buy one, and had sold some other gear help fund the purchase, and then came the pandemic. My main use case for this lens is event photography, and now it looks like it will be a while before I need it. So I'll wait.

04-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the D FA 70-210 is not exactly cheap either. It is about half the price of the 70-200, but I do not think that is affordable.
Its on my list. I sold several lenses to obtain the funds for it but with the pandemic I've not been shooting much. So I'll wait until I can actually use it before buying. I guess 'affordable' is relative. Its the only new 70-210 that fits my camera so price is immaterial if you want it.

From the reviews it appears to be an excellent lens considering where it is placed in the catalog. Not perfect, but then its not a'*' lens. The in-depth review shows it comparing favorably to the DA*60-250, not better or worse just different. The only other lens I have to compare is the F 70-210 so I think the DFA version will be a big improvement.
04-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Any review written after this amount of time would be suspect.
I suspect waiting a year will produce more relevant information.
The most relevant information in the user reviews is who uses it for what kind of photographs.

But I doubt you'll get more information than bdery has provided.
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Personally I hate commenting on lens I've spent less than 20 hours in the field with. Once I start feeling comfortable that it's the lens for the the challenge of the day, whatever it is it's best suited for, I feel I've learned enough to comment.

Last edited by normhead; 04-28-2020 at 01:03 PM.
04-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's expensive compare to Tamrons or old FA lenses on ebay.
What I mean is that the 70-210 is very expensive compared to what you actually get. After all, it is just a lens, nothing more. I do not recall that I wrote that I had it compared to stuff on Ebay. And looking at the original post, I did not. So I do not know where biz-engineer gets his intel from!
04-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's a thing in some parts of the forum that the Tamron version from which the Pentax was probably derived is cheaper than the Pentax, and that it shouldn't be, based on months of building a narrative here on the forum. It now seems to be accepted (by the more negative among us) that inserting the unfairness of Pentax into any thread ( regardless of the fact they have no idea what's inside the barrel) is perfectly acceptable etiquette.

It doesn't matter what Pentax does, some will be looking at the greener grass on the other side of the fence. On sale 20% off the Canon EL 70-200 ƒ4 is $649, so roughly $800 regular prices.

The Nikon 70-200 ƒ4 is $1400
The Sony is $1500

The Pentax is $1100. So completely in line for a just released lens with OEM support.
It is expensive for a lens, but middle of the pack for lenses in that category.

The Tamron which has been out for a while is $599 at $200 off so really $799. Tamron couldn't make money selling a Pentax version at $800, so why it's a thing Pentax couldn't I have no idea.

Ignore it, it's just chatter. To me it's $300 cheaper than the DA*60-250, so pretty much priced right where it should be, but you're right, it's still a lot of money. Telephotos never come cheap.

But if the 60-250 was out of your budget, you might be able to squeeze an ƒ4 70-210 in there in a few months.

The MTF charts

The charts are similar, but as someone pointed out in the ePhotozine comments, the Tamron isn't available on the Pentax, so that's irrelevant. And no one knows what's been done internally.

Last edited by normhead; 04-28-2020 at 01:50 PM.
04-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Froggy Quote
The news section states that many have picked up on this lens but there are only 3 users reviews on the lens database. Any more out there using this lens?
I intend to get out and do some shooting with my copy of it if spring ever arrives here in Wheatfieldland. I was more than a little disappointed when the thread about it in News and Rumors was allowed to be hijacked into a thread about the 60-250, and my concern is that any thread, including the comments section below a review, about the 70-210 will devolve the same way, which makes me somewhat reticent about bothering to put any effort into reviewing it.
04-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I intend to get out and do some shooting with my copy of it if spring ever arrives here in Wheatfieldland. I was more than a little disappointed when the thread about it in News and Rumors was allowed to be hijacked into a thread about the 60-250, and my concern is that any thread, including the comments section below a review, about the 70-210 will devolve the same way, which makes me somewhat reticent about bothering to put any effort into reviewing it.
Ah come on, don't be like that.

It's hard to stay on the 70-210 because so many of us have 60-250's, but impressions of the lens in actual real world use are hard to come by.
04-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #15

Compare to 60-250 mm

I was thinking about getting the new 70-210 Pentax F4, but the Pentax Forum does not show it to be really any better than the Pentax DA 60-250 which I have already and is modified for full-frame with a 3-D printed baffle. Does anyone have both lenses and care to comment.