Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM - teleconverter or new camera

Currently I use K-5 and DA 300, mostly for birding. Wonder what will be best way for improvement, get new camera, like Kp or find teleconverter. Could you advise which teleconverter will provide best results?

05-02-2020, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter plus DA* 300 on the K-5 is a good match. Here are some of my photos with that combination.

As always, the real key to improvement with bird photography is finding ways or locations where you can get closer to the birds.
05-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KP + DA 560 ?
05-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

consider a K 3 or K 3 II

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you could also consider renting equipment to see what you actually like

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

LensRental is running some specials

check this section

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/

05-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Pentax KP + DA 560 ?
No, it is too expensive and heavy. Generally I don't use tripod, except my backyard.

---------- Post added 05-02-2020 at 02:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
consider a K 3 or K 3 II

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you could also consider renting equipment to see what you actually like

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

LensRental is running some specials

Thank you, good idea to get converter for week and try.

Why K3 would be better? I see only three advantages - longer shutter life, bigger LCD and battery. KP is more new. What is wrong with it?
check this section

Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com
Thank you, good idea to get converter for week and try.

Why K3 would be better? I see only three advantages - longer shutter life, bigger LCD and battery. KP is more new. What is wrong with it?
check this section
05-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pigeon Quote
. . . Why K3 would be better? I see only three advantages - longer shutter life, bigger LCD and battery. KP is more new. What is wrong with it?
check this section
I prefer the K 3 and K 3 II over the KP

[ I only have a KP because I was lucky enough to win a contest here at the forum via random luck drawing ]

The K 3 would probably be cheaper on the used equipment market

two slots set one for raw the other for jpeg or as a back up

better burst rate, personal preference
05-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use the pentax 1.4x rear converter with the da300 on a k3. I use a tripod with a wimberlay sidekick gimbal with it.

05-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the DA* 300mm with a 1.4X teleconverter on a K70. I find it to be well balanced and comfortable to use hand held. I like to use it on a tripod when practical. Often times it's not.
05-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I can't advise if a new camera would b a good option, but I found the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X Teleplus SHQ to be a great TC with the DA*300 on my K-3. The auto focus becomes a bit slow but the image quality is great. Mind you, I am just shooting stationary objects, not wildlife using the TC so YMMV.

If you go down that road, it is important to get the SHQ version of the TC and not the earlier DG version as the DG version doesn't seem to work with * lenses.

Kenko (?Promaster et al..) AF/Pz-AF 1.4x/1.5x Teleplus.... Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Despite being labled 1.4X, instead of 1.5X, the Tamron is allegely the same rebranded TC if you can't find the Kenko version:

Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by Theov39; 05-03-2020 at 12:41 AM.
05-02-2020, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pigeon Quote

check this section
Nothing wrong with a KP, the KP has better stabilization and low light abilities than the K-3 series, both pretty useful for long lens shooting.
05-02-2020, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the choice is KP vs 1.4x TC I'd say get the KP. The KP will have 1.5x pixels on the subject and better autofocus and will give you this on all lenses without any loss of light. The 1.4x will work on the KP in the future adding additional gains but by itself it will not be as versatile. The as yet to be released flagship level apsc camera might be better still but eventually isn't now.
05-02-2020, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Where do you need improvement? Resolution, magnification, speed,... if you know the question, the answer is right there. If the lens is set, the camera can improve speed and resolution to a certain extent. Magnification requires an additional lens, the TC or practice. K3 is a significant improvement over K5, faster and more precise AF. I assume KP has even better precision comparable to K1.
Pentax only offer one converter. I did not like it with K3 and da300, focus speed and precision did not cut it, probably better with KP or in light flooded areas.
05-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I "upgraded" from a K-5 to a K70, for the 50% higher resolution to enable tighter cropping, then to a KP for the improved auto-focus performance, especially on flying birds. In my mind both reasons were justified.

Initially I was using a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 + matching 2x, leftovers from my film days, these days my "goto birding lens" is my Sigma 150-500mm.

Most of the time that's a perfectly adequate setup and light enough, (approx. 2.5kg), to be used hand-held as a carry-about configuration for an hour or two at a time. In a more stationary environment, in a hide, for example, or just sat quietly concealed with a tripod, the lens/camera combination will work adequately with a Kenco 1.5x teleconverter on a stationary subject in good light.

Inevitably, personal preferences will play a part and "your mileage WILL vary"

Good luck!
05-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you for answers. Currently plan is try TC and probably waiting K-new. I just afraid this waiting could be pretty long.