Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heh, too bad there isn't a system like that for kids sometimes!

QuoteOriginally posted by clee01l Quote
Cryogenics - 30 minutes in the fridge at 40 F will do wonders to get those little buggers to slow down long enough for a photo. And it does not seem to harm them

11-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #17

Original Poster
Back from a weekend camping! Spent plenty of hours crawling through the Aussie bush chasing little critters. I had a ball!!

Peter thanks for the suggested exercise and the link - I will definately give that a go! Thanks for the suggestion too on using the manual focus - I didn't even think of giving that a go - I was playing mainly with the aperture and shutter speed.. I found it hard enough to get close enough and take a picture before the bugs flew off. But I will try that on some more stationary objects and play.

QuoteQuote:
It can be quite intense, absorbing, and frustrating. Especially if you're working handheld, manually focused, and going after anything that moves at all. I don't work up as much of a sweat shooting anything as I do hunched over a flower pot trying to get a killer image of an ant or a bee.
Haha - I can relate to this - I was exhausted after chasing dragonflies all afternoon, not too mention extremely muddy... but to get one shot can be rewarding!! Mike thanks too for the example of the leaf!!

Marc - thanks for your useful comments

Steve - thanks for your comments - I appreciate your input and good to get feedback on my new lens purchase.

eGordon99 - yeap definately need to use manual focus!!

QuoteQuote:
The other big challenge in macro work in the field is wind.
Sean - I discovered this on the weekend too!!
I love your beautiful photo of the bee!! Great work!!

Well after a few days away.. here was my attempt at macro photography.... I know I have a long way to go - but I was happy with these images. After seeing clee01's spider - when I saw one on my friends tent - I just had to try and get a shot.... the rest of the time I spent chasing dragonflies through the marsh.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments - I really appreciate it!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo