Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2020, 04:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax DA-L 1:4-5. 55-300mm ED - upgrade

I have the lens in the title. I am happy with the Zoom range but either I am using the lens incorrectly or it is generally producing fairly soft results? I also find the backlash in the manual focus ring annoying, fine focus tweaks are hard.

What lens does the Jury suggest as an upgrade to overcome my issues (unless its my technique!)?

I should add its on a Pentax K70 body

05-08-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
I have the lens in the title. I am happy with the Zoom range but either I am using the lens incorrectly or it is generally producing fairly soft results? I also find the backlash in the manual focus ring annoying, fine focus tweaks are hard.

What lens does the Jury suggest as an upgrade to overcome my issues (unless its my technique!)?

I should add its on a Pentax K70 body
The "standard" upgrade from that lens on a K-70 is the 55-300 PLM version.

I have this combo, and the difference between it and the older 55-300s is almost "night" and day" because the autofocus is very fast, silent and (mostly!) very accurate, and my copy is pretty sharp as well. The only downside is that manual focus relies on using the rotating ring right near the camera body and that can be a bit awkward, but it does allow "quickshift" when in AF mode.

If you want to know some more about the PLM, then read this thread that I started last year: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/365761-hd-...what-cant.html
05-08-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the SMC DA version of that lens and it was fine until I got the PLM.

The version you have with the "L" is the budget version with a plastic mount and no quick shift. That may be why the manual focus isn't what you're expecting, you have to switch the camera to manual focus before you can move the focus ring. If you don't there's even a chance you could damage something.

My version is reasonably sharp but I think it got softer on the long end and it had some busy and annoying bokeh at times. Stopping down might help a bit, but it's not the fastest lens to begin with so going to f/7.1 or smaller requires good light.

A couple years ago I got the HD DA 4.5-5.6 55-300mm PLM, and the older version is almost never used any more. The PLM is a bit sharper, I think the bokeh is better, it's weather resistant, and the autofocus is silent and almost immediate. The old lens' screwdrive autofocus would hunt and was loud and slow, the difference with the PLM could hardly be more pronounced. And the PLM is just $360 brand new. I'd sell the old one, but they now go for a little over $100 and it's barely worth the effort to advertise, ship, etc.
05-08-2020, 05:26 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible that your manual focusing accuracy is partly to blame for the soft results you're getting? For auto-focus, have you carried out AF fine adjustment to ensure it's focusing accurately? Also, are you shooting with a filter of some sort attached to the lens?

The reason I ask is, I use the screw drive HD 55-300 WR, which is the same as yours optically save for the HD lens coatings, and I've been extremely pleased with the results (both resolution and rendering in general). Try not to shoot it at maximum aperture... Like most lenses, it needs to be stopped down a bit to give sharp results. You'll ideally want to select one stop down or more from wide open when shooting up to about 200mm, and best performance is reached at f/8 throughout this focal length range. Approaching 300mm, you'll need f/11 to get optimal results.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-08-2020 at 05:33 AM.
05-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

better yet - at which focal length do you seem to be using the lens?

I ask because depending upon how you are using the lens, a prime at that focal length may be a better solution than another zoom....
05-08-2020, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am with Mac. I have had some blinding results from the HD version. If sharpness is your main issue try calibrating yours before you spend money. If however you want faster AF in a more compact body, go for the PLM. That's what I wanted but the offer on the HD was waaaaaay too good to pass up and I haven't looked back.

05-08-2020, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Perhaps I am being over critical. I use it across the focal length range.

The attached moon photo is manually focussed using live view but was really difficult to get it focussed at all. It has been processed in light room and heavily cropped to get the moon large

Attached Images

Last edited by mlines; 05-08-2020 at 06:25 AM.
05-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Good afternoon all from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
This is my first post(ing) on the Pentax Forum; the question posed about the sharpness, or otherwise, of the 55-300mm lens seems an appropriate one for a “virgin” PF member to add his comments.
My lens is of the PLM variety and, without a shadow of doubt, it's the best telephone/zoom lens that I’ve ever bought.
A few pictures certainly tell a few thousand words, to misquote the famous saying, and, when I’ve completed a few jobs around the house and garden, I’ll (try to) upload the relevant files later today to demonstrate just how good the HD DA 4.5-5.6 55-300mm PLM is...especially for a typical UK retail price of around £300.
I use this and my other zoom, a 15-85mm lens, for both amateur and semi-professional purposes. There have been no complaints as yet!
Kind regards,
Steve.
05-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That moon shot looks great. Given the lighting of the surface, it would be difficult to obtain much more sense of detail than you've achieved here. I'd say you nailed it

The rest of your shots are very encouraging too, though it's hard to judge critical sharpness at these reduced sizes. But I think you and the lens are doing a grand job
05-08-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you might be right, you're being a bit too critical of a lens of this caliber. That moon shot is very good for this focal length, at least to the extent you can tell from web resolution. Compare to this one from the other day using the PLM. I don't think there's a lot of difference.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-08-2020, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA 55-300 is similar to your lens, and it's not too bad. However in comparison to my DA* 60-250 (with the HD DA 1.4x rear converter attached to the 60-250) I still see softer results on the 55-300. I've seen other data that suggests shooting around 270mm and cropping gives better results than shooting at 300mm.

In any case the basic choices I see are:

1) 55-300 PLM - cheap, quick to focus, reasonable image quality; however, still optically slow, not as usable wide open as some alternatives.

2) DA* 60-250 - used isn't too expensive, optically gorgeous, sharp wide open, can be used on Full Frame (mod needed for maximum results); however, sdm can fail (rarely compared to the worst offenders), it's big, it grows considerable when zooming, focus breathing reduces effective focal length at distances under 30'.

3) DFA* 70-200 f2.8 (with or without the HD DA 1.4x) - fast both optically and focus, sharp even wide open, lovely ergonomics, limited issues with focus breathing; however it is not full frame when combined with the HD DA 1.4x, very pricey compared to your alternative options, not nearly as long when used without the 1.4x.

4) The new F4 70-210

5) find an older 70-300

6) get a prime, da 200 or da 300 perhaps...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 05-08-2020 at 06:39 AM.
05-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, maybe I am too critical. I have re-linked to slightly higher resolution versions

(although I am tempted by the comments about the focus being much faster and quieter on the new lens as some of my shots are moving speedboats at sea and getting it to focus automatically is slow)
05-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
Thanks, maybe I am too critical. I have re-linked to slightly higher resolution versions

(although I am tempted by the comments about the focus being much faster and quieter on the new lens as some of my shots are moving speedboats at sea and getting it to focus automatically is slow)
The HD DA WR would offer water resistance and quickshift which might help in that situation. The HD coating also has advantages. A used one might be a good option.
05-08-2020, 06:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
4) Wait for the new F4 70-200
Wait for what? The new F4 70-210 is 3x the price of the 55-300 plm.

A google search showed a used D FA 70-200/2.8 for the same price of a new DA 60-250/4....
05-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wait for what? The new F4 70-210 is 3x the price of the 55-300 plm.

A google search showed a used D FA 70-200/2.8 for the same price of a new DA 60-250/4....
I corrected it. Lol. I realized after topping it was already here. And I was not suggesting a new 60-250.

Note too that I have no pro/con on that option. It's an option, not one I can offer much data on.