Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got my hands on Super Takumar 8 element

I rarely post on forum but I'm just happy.

I finally managed to acquire 8 element Super Takumar 50mm 1.4
Not that I was actively looking for one but I was just bored and started looking for M42 lenses. I paid $85 for this 8 element version, found on a local listing in my country coupled with Spotmatic (I didn't buy one) and a person who was selling it was selling her fathers old camera that was just laying around. And her father bought it from his best friend who was a photographer and died.

It had a bit of mold inside but luckily it was on the front of the front glass, on the rear of the rear glass and in between 3rd and 4th group and no oil on aperture blades. Nevertheless I plan on disassembling it a bit more since it has a bit of old cigarette smoke smell to it and to clean the rings. It could be in better shape but I'm happy nevertheless.

About 5yrs ago I bought a 7 element one in near mint condition just because I wanted to own thorium lens.

P.S.

I bought Takumar 200 f3.5 on ebay and waiting for it to come. (also bought while bored xD)

05-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well done - but now you've started the M42 lens bug.......
05-15-2020, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I managed to be M42 free for some time, but it came back
05-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last time I counted I had 8 M42's. It all started with the 7 element 50 mm f1.4...

05-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Life is not complete until you have an 8 element. But then reality kicks in. I challenge you to show an objective difference between the 8 and 7 element apart from colour temperature!
Congratulations anyway - both of them are superb.
05-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Last time I counted I had 8 M42's. It all started with the 7 element 50 mm f1.4...
Just checked my list - I am at 10 x Tak 50 1.4 - 3 of them 8 element. When they are out there going cheap it would be rude not to buy them
05-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Life is not complete until you have an 8 element. But then reality kicks in. I challenge you to show an objective difference between the 8 and 7 element apart from colour temperature!
Congratulations anyway - both of them are superb.
I really love 7 element and the copy I own is really in mint condition (at least mechanicaly) and joy to use, but now I realize that saying 8 element is better than 7 is not just because 8 is rarer and more "special" than 7 it really is better optically. 7 is not 100% usable wide open. It's ok but 8 is just better. Both are soft, but 7 is softer and not in a better way. I'll post my generic test photos tomorrow from X-T3 and K1-II

P.S.

I managed to open and clean out majority of the lens, it was very gritty and just plain dirty inside the casing. It was neglected storagewise.
05-15-2020, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I avoided the M42 bug for years, after some dismount issues with a M42-PK adapter that sometimes jammed while coming off the K mount body.

Then I bought a Sony A7ii to start using my PK lenses on full frame, and also I could tentatively get into older lenses if I wanted to. Within two months I have a Helios 44M4, Yashinon 50mm f1.9, Eyemik 28mm f2.8, a Jupiter 37A in the mail. I have two M42 adapters for my Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses (about 6).

Photos will go up on the Latest Acquisition thread in a day or two.

Now I have to resist the temptation to buy film for my ME Super or the Zenit that came with the Helios lens.

05-15-2020, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I avoided the M42 bug for years, after some dismount issues with a M42-PK adapter that sometimes jammed while coming off the K mount body.

Then I bought a Sony A7ii to start using my PK lenses on full frame, and also I could tentatively get into older lenses if I wanted to. Within two months I have a Helios 44M4, Yashinon 50mm f1.9, Eyemik 28mm f2.8, a Jupiter 37A in the mail. I have two M42 adapters for my Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses (about 6).

Photos will go up on the Latest Acquisition thread in a day or two.

Now I have to resist the temptation to buy film for my ME Super or the Zenit that came with the Helios lens.

film isn't an issue for me....

I simplified the M42 dismount issue early on - I just bought a separate body, put the M42 (OEM) adapter on it and now it is my fully-manual, M42 body....
05-15-2020, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

film isn't an issue for me....

I simplified the M42 dismount issue early on - I just bought a separate body, put the M42 (OEM) adapter on it and now it is my fully-manual, M42 body....
Agreed Dave. I can use my K-30 body for the M42 mount if I am happy with APS-C, and then I have the Sony body if I want to use the M42 lenses on fullframe.

I guess I should start Tak-hunting, since none of my M42s is Pentax made.
05-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
Here are test samples for sharpness between 8 and 7 element. first batch with flowers and lenses and terminator was aroud 80-90cm away from both k1ii and xt3. Only thing i "edited" in C1 was that i disabled the noise reduction and on xt3 (velvia vivid preset with -10 saturation). WB is not important here but on k1ii was set to warmer and fuji generally likes colder WB but that is not important right now. You can see the difference between 8 and 7 colors since my 7 element is a bit yellowed and therefore has slower shutter speeds (I didn't clear it all the way with UV).

I shot three scenes with each lens and each camera. First was backlight, second was frontlit and third was just infinity samples. Backlit and frontlit scenes have 4 different focus points. It is overcast rn.
If somebody wants to I can upload whole 15gb of raw files from both cameras. (234 images per camera)
k1ii iso is set to 100 and xt3 is 160 but that is not important for this "test"

I don't have time to write this whole post with manual descriptions for every combination so here is onedrive link with all combinations:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Backlit scene

8 element f1.4 K1-II (focus on flower)

7 element f1.4 K1-II (focus on flower)

8 element f2 K1-II (focus on flower)

7 element f2 K1-II (focus on flower)

Frontilit scene

8 element f1.4 K1-II (focus on flower)

7 element f1.4 K1-II (focus on flower)

8element f2 K1-II (focus on flower)

7 element f2 K1-II (focus on flower)