Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Please help me identify my lens!

I had a lens for my k-1 that I absolutely loved. I took it off my k-1 and put it on my Ricoh which was subsequently stolen when someone broke into my car. Here is the problem..... I have no idea what kind of lens it was. All I can remember is the lens cap was 55 mm (because I was always losing them so I bought like 5). I would say it was about 4 inches in length not zoomed. I shot a lot street shots with it and loved the versatility with the zoom it had. I thought I found one on eBay and it’s definitely not the one wanted anyone have any ideas on what lens this could be??? Thank you

05-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If it was an auto-focus lens the details might be in the EXIF of any digital pictures you took with it. Even if you've just got a code, rather than an actual description, someone else may have the same lens and recognise the code.
Good luck!
05-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
I never shoot digital.
05-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A K-1 that is not digital...?

Can you remember anything else about the lens? Maximum aperture? Focal length? Push-pull (one touch) or seperate zoom and focus rings (two touch)? Brand - Pentax or third party?

05-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only one Pentax lens that has a 55mm filter thread, and it's a digital one (the K-1 is a digital camera too, so I'm guessing you meant K1000)?

Anyway, assuming it was a genuine Pentax lens and not a third-party one, the good news is that there aren't that many film-era zoom lenses. We also have them well-documented here on the site. Take a look at this list and see if you recognize any (click on the photo/review link for a larger version):

<= 200mm Zoom Lenses | PentaxForums.com

To put together this list I've made the following assumptions: manual focus, zoom, and shorter than 200mm given the barrel length you specified.

Going off the versatility alone, maybe it's the A 35-105mm? That lens is one of the first film-era zooms that could really serve as an effective everyday lens, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A 55mm diameter helps. When you say zoom did it just expand or did it make things look closer and farthur away? What did the grip look like and color? Did it focus for you or did you have to? Each answer can eliminate 10-100s of possibilities.
05-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JenjenMN Quote
anyone have any ideas on what lens this could be?
Welcome to Pentax Forums, JenjenMN!

Do you remember any markings on the lens? Numbers, letters?

Did it have a ring to set the aperture (f/number)? Do you remember any of the aperture numbers, like 2.8, 3.5, etc?

What was the zoom like? Were you able to zoom really close in to subjects that were far away? Did it have a wide zoom, i.e., you could take a picture of a very 'wide' scene with it?

Do you remember where and when you first got the lens?

Also, could you please confirm the model of the first camera you mention: is it a Pentax K-1 (digital SLR), Pentax K1000 (film), or a Pentax K2 (film)?

Thanks!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-15-2020 at 04:04 PM.
05-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP goes to this section of the forums

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

he can find photos of the various types of Pentax cameras if that might help to identify the camera
05-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to my k-1000 (love love love that camera!). The lens came with it when I bought it on Craigslist. I don’t think it was a Pentax lens but can’t be sure. It had a really textured grip about 2.5 inches wide...roughly. Would it help to see some photos I took with the lens?
05-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to my k-1000 (love love love that camera!). The lens came with it when I bought it on Craigslist. I don’t think it was a Pentax lens but can’t be sure. It had a really textured grip about 2.5 inches wide...roughly. Would it help to see some photos I took with the lens?

probably not, since there won't be any EXIF data attached....

would you maybe have a picture of the camera with lens on it?
05-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Curious about your name. I am in Minneapolis so wondering about the MN.
You might have a craigslist email saved.
05-16-2020, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 55mm thread and the "very textured grip" is typical Tokina. Maybe a Tokina RMC 35-70 like this one?
05-16-2020, 03:07 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

user reviews and photos of tonkia lenses can be found here:

primes:

Tokina Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

zooms

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-lenses-for-pentax-zooms-c78.html
05-16-2020, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

To zoom did you left to right or right to left? Or was it a push pull?
05-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Would it help to see some photos I took with the lens?
If you could post an image you took at the widest angle and one at the narrowest angle, we would have an Idea about the range of the lens. There are many, many, many zoom lenses for K-mount. Probably thousands. So if it was not Pentax (likely with a 55mm thread). It would be neigh impossible to Identify. We could advise you on alternatives though.