Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Quick-Shift Focus System on K200D

Hi!

I have a question about Quick-Shift Focus System on a K200D. When I compose a picture and AF doesn't satisfies me I use Quick-Shift Focus System and focus manually. However, when I fully depress the shutter button que camera just won't shoot (the focus indicador in the viewfinder keeps flashing, telling me it's not correctly focused). So far this has been frustrating and I've missed several shots because of it.

Does anyone know what is this due to?

Thank you.

11-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You must first have a focus lock on something by pressing the shutter button halfway. Than you turn the focus ring (keep the button half pressed) to obtain the focus you really want and press the button fully...
11-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, it's lame. You can't take a photo with the camera in AF mode unless you are able to get an AF lock on something.

You can set your OK button to "cancel af" in the settings so that if this is happening you can just push the button to go to MF mode, but it isn't really that much better than flipping the front switch to MF.
11-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

works fine in af-s. its maybe something in the c-menu

11-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Yep, it's lame. You can't take a photo with the camera in AF mode unless you are able to get an AF lock on something.

You can set your OK button to "cancel af" in the settings so that if this is happening you can just push the button to go to MF mode, but it isn't really that much better than flipping the front switch to MF.
Edit: On a k10/k20:

As an alternative you can set the AF button to cancel AF.

Focus your lens and press the AF button with your dumb when pressing the shutter.

Last edited by tomtor; 11-03-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: correction
11-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibbe Quote
works fine in af-s. its maybe something in the c-menu
Thinking the same thing...
11-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote

Actually, I think it's *lots* better. Much easier and faster to find that OK button than the front switch, no danger of forgetting to flip it back, seems less likely to wear out the switch, etc. I keep my thumb kind of permanently poised by the OK button when using AF lenses.
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I agree with the Ok-button AF technique. It will save you time, and you won't realize how much sense it makes until you try it. It probably allowed me to get 30-60 more shots than I would've gotten otherwise at a recent wedding.

It doesn't make you refocus every time you take your finger off the button, and you can actually keep focusing while you shoot a moving subject, or just focus once and leave it. You can make the decision on the fly.

11-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Actually, I think it's *lots* better. Much easier and faster to find that OK button than the front switch, no danger of forgetting to flip it back, seems less likely to wear out the switch, etc. I keep my thumb kind of permanently poised by the OK button when using AF lenses.
I guess most of the time I have focussing issues I am using my FA50 (because I'm inside, not because the lens has problems) and since it isn't quick shift, it is only somewhat helpful to push the cancel AF button (since you can't actually MF until you throw the switch). But since this thread is about quick-shift, then yeah, I imagine the OK button would be significantly better.

To people mentioning the "AF button": the K200D doesn't have one.