Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 03:21 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My new 11-18mm and FGZii !

Finally pulled the trigger on a major purchase!

I've purchased the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8! (my first * lens!)
I've also picked up an AF360FGZ II (I have a first version, and wanted the upgrade for swivel and WR.

Here are some initial thoughts:
I have a very small photography side-gig as a real estate photographer. I've been using the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6.
Testing some shots (don't judge my dirty kitchen too harsh; straight conversion no processing), you can really appreciate the extra 1mm that the Sigma offers.
However, the 11-28mm is so much sharper, especially in the corners. I'm really excited to try this lens out for astrophotography of the Milky Way too.
What a beast! I will be selling my Sigma 10-20 and my Vivitar 13mm f/2.8 as they've now become redundant!

My first thoughts on the AF360FGZii were that it's noticeable smaller than the original FGZ.
A metal foot is a really nice upgrade too.
It took me a minute to figure out that there is no catch-light reflector because of the LED replaces it's effect!
Kinda odd for me that they took the '-' out of the name. 'AF-360FGZ' to 'AF360FGZ II'
I actually own three of the originals and I'm selling two on the marketplace already. Will keep the third as a backup/second light.

Very exciting time for me!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-19-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure you will find yourself confronting numerous scenes with which to enjoy your new lens's f/2.8 aperture capability! A marvelous acquisition!
05-19-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, looks like a big step up in IQ from the photo.
05-19-2020, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Sure you lose a mm - but that's a good step up in quality. I couldn't tell from the Sigma shot, but from the Pentax one I can see that you're out of (or running low on) dish soap and paper towel...

05-19-2020, 06:44 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've won awards at my local camera club for these two images.
One was taken using the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and the other was taken with the DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL. They were taken before I had my 10-20 Sigma.
Just imagining getting a full stop more light is pretty exciting! Terribly stoked.

---------- Post added 05-19-20 at 07:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Sure you lose a mm
It's crazy how much more 1 mm matters on the short end compared to the long.

---------- Post added 05-19-20 at 07:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congratulations
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
A marvelous acquisition!
Thank you!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 05-19-2020 at 06:53 PM.
05-19-2020, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the exposure the same relative value, the Sigma looks darker.

The Pentax IQ is much better.
05-19-2020, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

FozzFoster: Congrats

One month ago I did similar step. After buying 11-18/2,8 I will be tempted to buy the new 16-50 It is really a stellar lens! I did not have experiences with Sigma or Tamron lenses, I had many with 15/4 ltd and 12-24/4, but this 11-18/2,8 seems to be the one ...

05-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the exposure the same relative value, the Sigma looks darker.
Good eye UncleVanya!
Yes, the Sigma had a darker image, but I attributed it to ambient condition flux between shots. This caused the Sigma in Av mode choose 1/3 stop faster than the Pentax.
So, I had to reshoot the shot (see below; slightly cleaned my kitchen too).
It certainly appears that the Sigma underexposes consistently when compared to the Pentax.
In Lightroom, I consistently would need to up the Sigma exposure by about 2/3 stop to match the Pentax.
Maybe, their could be exposure measurement rounding errors from both lenses, since they are both f stopped and not t stopped.

This reshoot was taken using f/8 on both lenses. My previous shot was both at f/4; the lowest common on both lenses. But I figured that may not be too fair for the Sigma to shoot wide open while the Pentax gets to stop down a bit. So, this comparison is at f/8 on both lenses.
You can really appreciate the difference in quality in the top corners with the details in the popcorn roof. The Sigmas are very smudgy while the Pentax still has very good detail and quality (for a corner of an ultrawide lens).
Incredible happy with the purchase!

---------- Post added 05-20-20 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I will be tempted to buy the new 16-50
I too am eagerly eyeing the new 16-50 PLM.
My 18-135 is getting very nervous, haha
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-20-2020, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
This reshoot was taken using f/8 on both lenses. My previous shot was both at f/4; the lowest common on both lenses. But I figured that may not be too fair for the Sigma to shoot wide open while the Pentax gets to stop down a bit. So, this comparison is at f/8 on both lenses.
You can really appreciate the difference in quality in the top corners with the details in the popcorn roof. The Sigmas are very smudgy while the Pentax still has very good detail and quality (for a corner of an ultrawide lens).
Incredible happy with the purchase!
Hi FozzFoster!

Again much clearer (and brighter with the same exposure...) with the Pentax - though readable on the Sigma this time.

What you need now is a fisheye for those ultra ultra wide shots, if you're planning on selling the Sigma...
05-20-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
It's crazy how much more 1 mm matters on the short end compared to the long.
11mm is 10% 'longer' than 10mm, so that should cause a noticeable difference in FOV. The difference of 18mm on an 18-55mm lens compared to 17mm on a 17-70mm lens is only 5.8%, so less noticeable. I would still like to upgrade my Sigma 17-70 to a Pentax 16-85 though!
05-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What you need now is a fisheye for those ultra ultra wide shots, if you're planning on selling the Sigma...
I'm going to be scrimping and saving for that new aps-c flagship and battery grip.
Might even get a preorder outta me
05-20-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

So, if you don't mind me asking, how do you go about setting up your indoor shots - exposure measurement and flash set up?

I bought a K3ii about 6 months ago (mint in box, about 2000 shutter actuations) to replace my K7. I was going to sell the K7 but my 19 yo son has asked me if he can use it so I just bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8 so I can give my son the 16-45 with the K7. I have an AF540FGZ that I often used wireless with the K7 but of course the K3ii doesn't have a built in flash so I will have a look at your old 360FGZ's in the market place.

Love your astro landscapes too. Would love to try this. I have briefly experimented with some Astrotracer Milky Way shots which were ok and took a nice land/sea/riverscape by the light of the recent super moon.
05-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For indoor shots, I've been trying to stick with only natural light. Two second timer, on a tripod. Generally, I'll try to expose 1 or 2 stops down to save highlights.
Sometimes I take multiple shots at different exposures (bracket) and blend them in Photoshop afterward. This works really well for the huge dynamic range between indoor shadows and outdoor highlights when there's a window in the shot.
I used to use flash too, and sometimes still do.. but I've been trying to stick with natural light.

Let me know if I can get a shipping quote for you!

Pentax is really impressive with the Astrotracer abilities. Amazing what you can even get with a kit lens!
05-20-2020, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

A shipping quote would be great. Thanks...
05-21-2020, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, FF. You're going to have a lot of fun!