Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Different aperture holes in similar lenses... Why?

I have two CZJ Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 of different generations.
Just noticed that when I set them at the same aperture, the holes left for light gathering are quite different, being bigger at the newer one.

Two pictures, with both set at f/22 (1st pic) and f/8 (2nd pic).

Is there anything wrong or is this normal?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MI 9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
MI 9  Photo 
05-19-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That does not look right.

Two lenses of the same focal length and the same aperture should have the same visual size of aperture when compared side-by-side at a distance. Even if they are different brands or use different optical formulas, the numerical aperture defines the diameter of the light collected by the lens so it should be the same across all lenses of a particular focal length & aperture combination.

You can tell which lens is "right" by laying a ruler across the front of the lens, holding the lens at some distance (perhaps place it on the floor and stand over it), and eyeballing the visual diameter of the aperture. At f/8 with a 50mm lens, the visual aperture should be 50/8 = 6.25mm. At f/22, it should be 50/22 = 2.3 mm.
05-19-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's possible that one or both of the lenses have been disassembled and incorrectly re-assembled, or that one of them has an oily / sticky mechanism or diaphragm blades that are preventing it from closing down fully.

The upper (older) lens in both photos looks to have a more accurate aperture size for the apertures quoted...
05-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Two lenses of the same focal length and the same aperture should have the same visual size of aperture when compared side-by-side at a distance. Even if they are different brands or use different optical formulas, the numerical aperture defines the diameter of the light collected by the lens so it should be the same across all lenses of a particular focal length & aperture combination.

You can tell which lens is "right" by laying a ruler across the front of the lens, holding the lens at some distance (perhaps place it on the floor and stand over it), and eyeballing the visual diameter of the aperture. At f/8 with a 50mm lens, the visual aperture should be 50/8 = 6.25mm. At f/22, it should be 50/22 = 2.3 mm.
Thanks for the great answer.

Just measured it, in the older one the aperture is around 6mm (which is right).

In the newer one (the electric MC) it's almost 10mm.
If I set it to f/16 then it's identical to the other at f/8.

05-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's possible that one or both of the lenses have been disassembled and incorrectly re-assembled, or that one of them has an oily / sticky mechanism or diaphragm blades that are preventing it from closing down fully.

The upper (older) lens in both photos looks to have a more accurate aperture size for the apertures quoted...
I have a few lenses with lazy/sticky blades and the behaviour is different. In this one, the blades open and close really fast.
05-19-2020, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6

No it doesn't look right.

What kind of meter readings do you get? Easier than fussing around with a ruler
05-19-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #7

Is it possible that the front elements have a magnifying effect on the aperture blades when viewed from the front? I'm not well versed enough to understand if that's really possible, but personally I wouldn't trust the apparent size of something just by eyeballing through curved glass.

Also, the advertised focal lengths and f/stop is rarely ever 100% accurate. Either of the lenses could be on opposite ends of the spectrum of "acceptably close to 50mm", like maybe one is really 48mm and the other is 52mm. Combined with a reasonable margin of error during production and some tolerance of inexact aperture measurements between the two designs, that could account for the apparent difference.
I think the best way to see if either one has an issue is to put them to the test. Take identical pictures with both lenses at each aperture and consistent ISO/SS then directly compare the level of exposure (and depth of field, if that's important to you.) Even though t/stops are the better measurement for exposure, both lenses should still be perceptibly identical at the same aperture.

Also, make sure that both apertures remain fully open when actuated at f/1.8. If one closes down slightly, then that would mean it was probably damaged or improperly assembled.

05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers, tomorrow I will shoot some photos with them and post them here.
05-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
I have a few lenses with lazy/sticky blades and the behaviour is different. In this one, the blades open and close really fast.
I've got a Takumar lens that behaves the same way - it won't close down all the way but the blades move quickly. I can see it has oil on the blades. The lack of a lens spanner and it's a 50mm f/1.8 lens keep me from taking it apart and cleaning it. Not enough motivation to buy a good spanner just for this lens.
05-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Is it possible that the front elements have a magnifying effect on the aperture blades when viewed from the front?
Even if that's the case, in photography aperture is defined using the entrance pupil size not the actual opening's physical size. This means how wide it appears from the front is what is used to calculate f values.

Your other point about actual focal lengths and inexact aperture could be a factor but if have to do too much math to determine if it could account for the amount of difference shown here.

Entrance pupil - Wikipedia
05-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do they look the same wide open?
05-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe the lens has been disassembled and now the aperture ring is off. Have you tried to set the aperture past the smallest (22) in the newer lens?
05-20-2020, 03:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
I have two CZJ Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 of different generations.
Just noticed that when I set them at the same aperture, the holes left for light gathering are quite different, being bigger at the newer one.
Is there anything wrong or is this normal?
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
At f/22, it should be 50/22 = 2.3 mm.
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
Is it possible that the front elements have a magnifying effect on the aperture blades when viewed from the front?
The aperture blades on the newer 'electric' lens on the left appear incorrect. The older version on the right looks correct around 2.3mm.

The newer lens had 6 elements in 5 groups while the older lens had 6 elements in 4 groups. Yes, the magnifying effect will distort the actual aperture size, but not to this degree because of 5 groups vs. 4 groups.

Pretty sure your tests will reveal about a +2 EV over exposure with the lens on the left with shots in the f/4-f/22 range.
05-20-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great reason to have several copies of the same lens.
05-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Aperture size and reading do not agree for at least one lens. In this case one lens appears to be off. No two lenses have exactly the same opening that’s why ttl metering and electronic diaphragm control are so cool. Use stop down metering for exposure. For depth of field calculation ... you should find how far off the lenses are either by measuring the physical opening or by comparing or by comparing exposure values to a lens you trust. F-stop is focal length divided by aperture diameter.
Mechanical re-setting of the aperture ring will probably solve the problem.