Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
. . . You can tell if you have a leaded version of the 43, by:

#1, its serial number, (I forget the cut off number for when they switched to nonleaded glass, but that information can be looked up). . . .
do you have a source ?

05-28-2020, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "leaded glass" FA43 has been discussed numerous times over the years. The thread below and post #386, has the s/n breakdown of the FA43/1.9:

About Fa 43mm ltd - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

Phil.
05-28-2020, 09:14 PM - 5 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

One of my favorite lenses. A few samples from back in the day:

05-29-2020, 03:10 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
do you have a source ?
Forum member gofour3 posted, the same reference I was using for the serial numbers. So the leaded lens is supposed to be serial numbers underneath 20000.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Over the years, I've read occasional mentions of the early leaded-glass construction, but none as detailed as your post. However, I've never seen any references to the original source of the information.

It would be great if we were able to read a definitive statement, especially if it came from an official source such as Asahi Optical Company or Pentax Corporation. Would you happen to have links to any historical references or comparisons of images taken with the two different lens constructions? It would be interesting to read

- Craig
comparison images have been taken, though it looks like the images have been removed, as the links appear inactive now. Like post number 385 in the link posted by gofour3.

I did try to research this farther on my own years back, and was speculating if this was connected to RoHS 1 which is a set of standards passed by the EU, that many other non-EU members decide to follow to one degree or another, taking their lead from the EU, and hoping this would facilitate trade between their countries and the EU. Itís a fairly broad restriction on substances deemed to be harmful. And it specifically calls for restricting lead in the use of photographic products such as camera lenses!
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive - Wikipedia
read under, ďExamples of product components containing restricted substances

Anyways, I thought I had read an article that spoke directly to Japan banning certain lead products in response to the EUís passage of RoHS 1, but Iím having difficulty locating that source.

Sorry I donít got some great links to original source documents.

And it would be great if links to a photo comparison could be obtained between the low serial number 43ís and the newer 43ís.
I got one of the old black velvet low serial number 43ís, but I do not have one of the newer ones to do some comparison shots or else I would do it myself.

05-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That must explain why my FA 43 is so sharp! I have silver, very early silver version of this lens
05-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
#1, its serial number, (I forget the cut off number for when they switched to nonleaded glass, but that information can be looked up).

#2, if you have the original aluminum lens cap, the leaded version will have black velvet instead of green, and the word Pentax will be printed on the front of the cap in black lettering, rather than being engraved into the metal.

#3, I believe all the leaded versions have visible screws on the side of the focusing ring itself, while the non-leaded versions do not have screws on the focusing ring.

Hope something Iíve written here is interesting!
My silver MIJ has the black felt and screws on the focusing ring but serial number is 0011291, indicating it's the leaded and "type 1" from that other thread. It's very sharp in the centre wide open.

It's interesting to note from the other thread that some say the middle versions (types 2 & 3) had better build quality. TBH I've been a little disappointed with the build quality of mine, mainly due to the feel of the aperture ring, which lacks the solidity of even the A series lenses, many of which are plastic, while that of the 43mm is metal. The DA Limiteds feel more solid, but then they don't have an aperture ring to let them down in that department. It would matter less if I used it only on digital, but I also use it on film cameras where I need to set the aperture manually.

---------- Post added 29-05-20 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I didn't think it was possible but I just got my copy of the 43 mm f1.9 and preliminary results show that it's sharper than my 31 mm and 77 mm. This lens is incredibly sharp to the point where its a little scary. I got the silver version straight from Japan but it looks a little dorky on my Black K5 IIs.
Good to hear you're enjoying the lens and yes, the silver version does look pretty bad on my K-3 too.
05-29-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran with a black 43 but silver hood for a couple of years. Looked quite distinctive

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 08:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
One of my favorite lenses. A few samples from back in the day:

Lovely set of images. Bravo!
06-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I ran with a black 43 but silver hood for a couple of years. Looked quite distinctive

---------- Post added 05-29-20 at 08:58 PM ----------

Lovely set of images. Bravo!
Thanks! I do miss shooting with the 43.