Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Frankenstein adaptation, pentax lens on fuji

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there, I wanted to make an experiment with adapting my full frame pentax glass on my fuji camera. I already have an PK-DA adapter but I find it really weird to use with M and A lens because of the third ring it creates (two for aperture one for focus) so I decided to go a little experimental on adapting lens.
I ended up purchasing a speed booster for canon eos to fuji ( the Zhongi lens turbo) as well as a pk to eos since I knew you can adapt pentax lens on canon.
In the end, with the apsc crop 1.5 and the lensturbo 0.73 you end up with focal equivalence of 1.1 ( and close to a stop of light transmission) so your field of view is getting closer to a full frame camera ( minus the added distortion etc.)

Does anyone else ever tried something like this here ? Since the shipping are being delayed I'll have to wait a bit before I get the adapter but I was wondering if anyone have some info.

05-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like stuff like this you may want to go check out the impossible lens club. They may get a kick out of this setup, espeically if you post photos of the setup and result of the effort.
05-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
Hi there, I wanted to make an experiment with adapting my full frame pentax glass on my fuji camera. I already have an PK-DA adapter but I find it really weird to use with M and A lens because of the third ring it creates (two for aperture one for focus) so I decided to go a little experimental on adapting lens.
I ended up purchasing a speed booster for canon eos to fuji ( the Zhongi lens turbo) as well as a pk to eos since I knew you can adapt pentax lens on canon.
In the end, with the apsc crop 1.5 and the lensturbo 0.73 you end up with focal equivalence of 1.1 ( and close to a stop of light transmission) so your field of view is getting closer to a full frame camera ( minus the added distortion etc.)

Does anyone else ever tried something like this here ? Since the shipping are being delayed I'll have to wait a bit before I get the adapter but I was wondering if anyone have some info.
Interesting concept. I would like to see some photos once you have the set up completed. I do have Pentax manual lenses and I have tried them on my Fuji bodies. They work pretty good with a direct hollow adapter. I never thought about doing what you are setting to do. I am curious as to how it turns out. Since I do not have a wide prime Fuji lens, I use a K-mount Samyang 14mm f2.8 with a PK/X adapter on my Fuji X-T2. I shot some interiors with the Fuji using the 7-shot DHR mode. I assembled the images in Aurora HDR. The results blew away a similar shot my friend had done on his Canon 5D MarkIII with Canon L glass. The Fuji/Samyang combo had better dynamic range and the lens was sharper too. Overall Fuji with K-mont glass looked a lot better than the Canon body lens combo.

I have tried the Fuji with a bunch of Pentax glass namely the FA 77, FA 43, FA 31, Takumar 50 f1.4, Takumar 135 f2.8, Ricoh 50 f2, Sears 50 f2, Vivitar 75-205 two touch zoom and a bunch of other legacy prime and zoom lenses. It is a fun exercise and the results are fantastic.

Looking forward to your test results.
05-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Optically speaking, if that makes sense, things should line up just fine. The only downside I can think of is mechanical tolerances adding up on two adapters. Focusing could be impaired just a little. I use an el cheapo adapter to put K mount lenses on my Samsung NX bodies. On a heavy lens like the K 200/2.5 there is a notable bit of slack that needs to be taken up when focusing. Not a lot of slack, but it is there. On lighter lenses like nifty fifties it is not a problem.

There is a Fujifilm XE2 on offer in my valley that is really tempting. The setup you are proposing would make a low budget full frame alternative that might be within my reach, but I will have to shop for focal reducers to confirm that. A Pentax K1, Sony A7 or even a Canon EOS RP is just a dream in these difficult times. I look forward to hear back from you on how it worked out.

PS: I could look for a focal reducer for K mount lenses on Samsung NX bodies. However, products for niche brand lenses on dead brand camera bodies are like unicorn droppings.The Mitakon Lens Turbo is available for Fuji X, Soney NEX and M43 only.

Last edited by Wasp; 05-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.
05-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If you like stuff like this you may want to go check out the impossible lens club
thanks, I'll check there !

I'll would love to have the FF limited line up but i'll get a K1 if I get them. The main une would be to go light, I have a 25mm for my fuji but my pentax prime are quite small, even the takumar 135 is compact. All in all even if the IQ go down a little I would not mind.
I usually use those lens on my film camera and with my Xe1 I'll keep a compact set up, and my k70 when it's more serious.

On the adapter side on fuji there's some wobble on my Da/Fx adapter but I fixed it by shimming with some tape, otherwise I could see the hood of my 10-17 because of a few degree tilt.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K1, Sony A7 or even a Canon EOS RP is just a dream in these difficult times
That's true, but you can find an a7i for cheap now (but I dont like using the a7 serie, the shape don't feel well for me, and the hard plastic on the eyepiece is ridiculous). I got my xe1 for 150Cad, wich is nothing for a 16mp camera and it's really easy to get perfect focus with minimal time and manual lens thanks to focus assist.

Last edited by Password1234; 05-26-2020 at 05:39 PM.
05-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Since my previous post, something else occurred to me. A limitation with K mount lenses on Canon EOS full frame bodies is the aperture lever. Pentax sized them quite generously, so that it gets in the way of the Canon mirror. The Canon shooting Philistines get around this problem by hacking off the aperture lever in various gruesome ways. This heinous act forever ruins the lens for use on Pentax bodies as it becomes manual aperture.

If the front element of the focal reducer sits too close to the lens mount, the Pentax aperture lever might scratch it. This is one of those things that the interwebs cannot provide an answer for. The only way is for somebody gets all the bits together and applies the mark one human eyeball to the problem. It is only after the owner of the eyeball posts the answer, that the inquiring minds fill be satisfied. I doubt that anybody has tried this. The OP might be making history and we will be a part of it.
05-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
I found this today on a thread on dpreview.
QuoteQuote:
I have recently bought a Zhongyi Turbo II, hoping to get usable wide-angle on my Fuji X-E1 with my preferred choice of manual lenses (mostly Takumars).
I bought the EOS mount version for the aforementioned short(ish) flange distance and ability to use a lenses of several mounts with simple adaptors.
I'm afraid my plan has backfired, as both my 24 and 28 f/3.5 SMCoated Takumars protrude back enough from the flange plane to interfere with the Zhongyi's frontmost optical element. Curiously enough, the 24 is better than the 28 in that respect.
I have not damaged either lens or focal reducer, but the fact is I cannot use these together...
Would another mount with higher flange distance work better?
Any ideas?
P.S. My SuperTak 50 1.4 works without any problems. It's nice to have an f/1 lens...

I might be okay because all my uwa are for apsc and I can use them with the non glass adapter but I'll be careful when mounting the lens.

05-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
It seems there used to be a pk-fx version on the lens turbo but I can't find it in north america. Someone did try it in germany with the A 50 1.4, he even compare it side by side with the fuji 35 1.4.

Das „Pentazhong Nocticon“… – RetroCamera.de
05-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It seems that the PK-FX version has been discontinued, probably because of the clearance problem. Searching for one on the bay has not turned up anything yet.

There is a PK-NEX version but that info is not of much use in this context.

amazon.com : Zhongyi Lens Turbo II Focal Reducer Booster Adapter Compatible For Pentax K PK Lens To Sony E NEX Camera Zhongyi Mitakon Turbo II Focal Reducer Booster Adapter : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Mitakon Lens Turbo Adapter Mark II (For NEX Mount Camera) | Mitakon - ZY Optics

Here is an M42-FX model. That might be more useful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zhongyi-M42-FX-Lens-Turbo-II-Adapter-M42-Screw-Moun...R/324171231353
05-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
The Canon to Fx is the only one wich allow pk lens to be mounted on, even if not all lens are compatible, if I can get my 135 and 50 to work with it i'll be very happy ! And also there are many adapter rings for m42 to eos.
07-08-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Finally received my package, the lens turbo looks very nice, the eos k ring is less impressive but it does the job. The combo on my ex1 looks good, I'll take it out to check the quality but just being able to use my 50 and my 135 mitigating the crop on a small body feel like a film camera. I'll post some photo soon !
07-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Password1234 Quote
Finally received my package, the lens turbo looks very nice, the eos k ring is less impressive but it does the job. The combo on my ex1 looks good, I'll take it out to check the quality but just being able to use my 50 and my 135 mitigating the crop on a small body feel like a film camera. I'll post some photo soon !
some photos of the rig, too, please....
07-09-2020, 03:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to look here

adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA - PentaxForums.com

There are a lot of ways to use alternative brand / format lenses on Pentax dslr bodies.

I personally have tried the optically corrected canon FD to Pentax and Nikon AI mount to Pentax optically corrected adaptors, which are essentially Really cheap teleconverter that Are used to correct for mounting lenses beyond their normal infinity focus registration distance. These rear converters You are using are The opposite, they are retrofocus lens groups that Were first used to allow very short Focal lengths to be mounted beyond their registration distance. The reason they work on micro 4/3 and other crop sensor bodies is because they reduce the Magnification and image circle. But there is no reason there could not be the same approach taken for any full frame lens applied to a crop sensor. What is unusual though is I don’t see any of them being offered for other than mirrorless bodies. Maybe they need to use space within the lens’ normal registration distance to work
07-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #14

Original Poster
I can confirm that the glass element is very close to the sensor, not as close as this LucAdapters Magicbooster for the BMPCC 6K - Newsshooter

Here are some sample, I'll post a photo of the rig too, but in hand it remember me when I was using a Pentax MX ( wich I did not repair when the winding mechanism sadly failed).
The adapter seem to induce some optical vignetting increasing the swirling effect but I like it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 

Last edited by Password1234; 02-09-2021 at 04:32 PM.
07-21-2020, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Here are some pictures with the 135 attached, and a couple sample of the 135
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF