Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What ND filters are the best for Irix 15mm f2.4?

I'm looking forward to buy that lens, and really would like to have at least two main filters for it, one is 1000x, and one graduated. Ideally, I would love to use them on other lenses as well.

I can't figure out which brand and which holder can be money/quality combo. The whole ND filter concept for landscape is unknown territory for now.

Any suggestions?

05-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked at the Irix filters? They have a filter holder made for that lens and an assortment of drop-in square filters. You can see all of their products on the IrixUSA website.
05-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I saw. But I also read that there are better options. There are so many experts online ))), when I read too much there I'm getting lost. Especially when I've never seen the filter system in reality yet. I only used round polarized and ND cheap filters. Now when I'm thinking about more expensive solutions, I'm lost.
05-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I only used round polarized and ND cheap filters. Now when I'm thinking about more expensive solutions, I'm lost.
I am the same as you. I have never purchased a drop-in system before, so I would be in the same boat. I have the Irix 15mm Firefly and have not bought a set of filters for it yet. They get really pricey for large 95mm size.

05-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I am the same as you. I have never purchased a drop-in system before, so I would be in the same boat. I have the Irix 15mm Firefly and have not bought a set of filters for it yet. They get really pricey for large 95mm size.
Yes, the same here. Good filters are pricey, and now I'm thinking also to cut the corners and go for Firefly instead of Blackstone. How do you like yours? Is it much "cheaper" than Blackstone?
05-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yes, the same here. Good filters are pricey, and now I'm thinking also to cut the corners and go for Firefly instead of Blackstone. How do you like yours? Is it much "cheaper" than Blackstone?
I like it although I have not used it much for landscapes yet. I primarily use it for architecture shots. I was initially going to buy the Blackstone but at the time it was back ordered so I bought the Firefly. I don't recall the difference in price, but the Firefly is a very high quality lens and has the exact same optics, so I am glad I saved the money.
05-31-2020, 02:06 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Not an ND filter, but I do use a front mounted 95mm X4 CPL from Breakthrough Photography. It's pricey but works very well. No vignetting at all.

05-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
Not an ND filter, but I do use a front mounted 95mm X4 CPL from Breakthrough Photography. It's pricey but works very well. No vignetting at all.
I have the Firefly 15 mm and I'm happy with it. I always use the Irix Edge UV & Protector 95 mm on it. As far as I can see, it's a good filter.
05-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I believe it has a slot for rear gelatin filters - it may be something to look into?
05-31-2020, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I was going to post that I have been using Breakthrough filters as well. They do seem very good indeed.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2020 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe it has a slot for rear gelatin filters - it may be something to look into?
This absolutely. I used to get polyester "gels", I don't recall from where, probably Calumet. They were extremely good optically, and were very tough, making them ideal for field photography. Gels on the back, as long as they don't reflect, would be an ideal solution.
05-31-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This absolutely. I used to get polyester "gels", I don't recall from where, probably Calumet. They were extremely good optically, and were very tough, making them ideal for field photography. Gels on the back, as long as they don't reflect, would be an ideal solution.
It would be interesting to try, plus those filters are not expensive.