Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Seems like the Pentax star doesn't shine as it should.
No it does not. I have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 K-mount. The old Tammy that has been around for some years now. It is a $750 lens. It exhibits similar characteristic to the Pentax at f2.8 although not as bad as the Pentax. I do not mind less sharpness from my Tamron at f2.8 but I do mind it form an $1,800 Pentax. For his comparison the Tamron 70-180 is the sharper lens. Kudos to Tamron. I wish they made the lens for Pentax too because I would buy it. I tried the 70-180 at a trade show. It is so light and compact. I never expected this level of performance from it. It is a pity that it is only available for Sony.

Last edited by btnapa; 06-03-2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo
05-31-2020, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I just use the best 2.8/70-200 available for my camera and like it a lot.
05-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Infamously, it was Pentaxians who told him the copy of the lens he rented for his original review years ago was 'off'. Belatedly, he apologized and blamed it on the courier. The 70-200 has outstanding performance you can see in its MTF curve so if there's a clash between it and his methodology there's no contest, I'm afraid! Superior to Roger Cicala's measurements of the Canon and Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 zooms.
Attached Images

05-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d say that correctin focus in one’s camera does change performance on any lens. If DFA catches up on Tamron when stopped down even when focusing is off, it tells a lot from that lens.

06-01-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #20

First, as I can see, at least on the first comparison photo focus is just in different places, so we can't compare sharpness. Second: sharpness and microcontrast- its two different parameters. Pentax lens is sharp but it's microcontrast is not too high. And it's a good thing, because 70-200 is a lens mostly for portraits. I don't think models or retouchers will be happy to see all skin unevennesses. If you need microcontrast, you should buy macro lens.... or this tamron))) Overall in terms of perception, in this video comparison I like pentax pictures and don't like tamron's ones.
06-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
You can see in those two boring shots that in Pentax sample greens at the front are in focus, where Tamron is Oof. Especially from 2,8-4. What is remarkable is that it is so in every photo..

Now that I think of it, that was the issue with his previous video about DFA*70-200 vs. Something also.
I also noticed that! It is quite obvious that those trees on the back of the frame are not in focus @2.8 when the grass quite near the camera seems in focus...

Also he comments that Pentax colours are way better than the Sony ones, forgetting that its because of the glass! Moreover it is an internal zoom with WR protection.
Surely the Tamron seems very sharp lens and I don't doubt it could be even sharper than the DFA* wide open, but having the Pentax lens for more than 2 years now, I'm totally satisfied with the sharpness wide open and the images it delivers are awesome with that classic Pentax rendering and sense of quality.

Surely the focus breathing might be a serious issue for some people, but not for me. All in all as someone else already commented I like the K-1&DFA* 70-200 pictures more than the other combo, so what works for anyone. For me the DFA* is clearly a star lens, for others it might be a mediocre lens for amateurs, but then again I don't know what they are used to shoot with...

PS: There was a table with the focus breathing of every 70-200 lens that would be great to be attached here again...
06-01-2020, 05:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I also noticed that! It is quite obvious that those trees on the back of the frame are not in focus @2.8 when the grass quite near the camera seems in focus...

Also he comments that Pentax colours are way better than the Sony ones, forgetting that its because of the glass! Moreover it is an internal zoom with WR protection.
Surely the Tamron seems very sharp lens and I don't doubt it could be even sharper than the DFA* wide open, but having the Pentax lens for more than 2 years now, I'm totally satisfied with the sharpness wide open and the images it delivers are awesome with that classic Pentax rendering and sense of quality.

Surely the focus breathing might be a serious issue for some people, but not for me. All in all as someone else already commented I like the K-1&DFA* 70-200 pictures more than the other combo, so what works for anyone. For me the DFA* is clearly a star lens, for others it might be a mediocre lens for amateurs, but then again I don't know what they are used to shoot with...

PS: There was a table with the focus breathing of every 70-200 lens that would be great to be attached here again...
Why would focus breathing be an issue on a 70-200 for anyone? For macro and stacking yes, but what does it matter to a still-life portrait which is the more likely use for a 2.8 70-200? Even landscapes wouldn't care AFAICT.

06-01-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Why would focus breathing be an issue on a 70-200 for anyone?
It's bad, all right? Just accept it! - You people who go round wanting to know why make me sick!!!
06-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Focus breathingis there because of internal focusing. I’d not call it bad either, because it is part of the design. Don’t want focusbreathing. Fine. Get Tamron 70-200 which has also the ’macro’ setting. I’d much rather use a dedicated macro lens instead. Macro has not been considered when they’ve designed this lens. Not even close focus. I would use anything else for that. 100-200 creamy nice portraits and also detailed landscapes. Even birds and flowers.
06-01-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #25

I've happened to shoot portrait sessions with the DFA* 70-200 where I had to actually reduce the sharpness in final post processing ...
Don't know, maybe there are sharper lenses for details at infinity... or maybe someone should have used contrast AF on both cameras for comparison?.. Phase AF on Pentax cameras has little to do with the quality of the lens.

For my money, DFA* 70-200 is by far the best 70-200 lens for portraiture, and one of my two favorite Pentax glass of all time.

Tamron SP 70-200 2.8 G2, for one, has very much the same focus breathing issues yet it has been extremely well received by pros and consumers alike. What is alarming in the current technical extasy over sharpness and micro contrast is that it kills the 'air', the 3D aspect in the picture. Sharpness is not as important as resolution...
06-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
I've happened to shoot portrait sessions with the DFA* 70-200 where I had to actually reduce the sharpness in final post processing ...
Don't know, maybe there are sharper lenses for details at infinity... or maybe someone should have used contrast AF on both cameras for comparison?.. Phase AF on Pentax cameras has little to do with the quality of the lens.

For my money, DFA* 70-200 is by far the best 70-200 lens for portraiture, and one of my two favorite Pentax glass of all time.

Tamron SP 70-200 2.8 G2, for one, has very much the same focus breathing issues yet it has been extremely well received by pros and consumers alike. What is alarming in the current technical extasy over sharpness and micro contrast is that it kills the 'air', the 3D aspect in the picture. Sharpness is not as important as resolution...
I’v not shot portrait session, but I have used this lens at events and also my own little adventures/walkabouts too. Never there has been any problem with sharpness. Even if it is little a bit off(focus) picture does still look really nice. Even better if you nail it. But that is because a lot of other things are so good. But yea, who knows it they just know it. As we say in Finnish ‘tietäjät tietää’
06-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Seems like most of his videos have comparisons where the focus or exposure is different. This is one of the few when its not in pentax favour.
06-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aniket.pro Quote
First, as I can see, at least on the first comparison photo focus is just in different places, so we can't compare sharpness.
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Seems like most of his videos have comparisons where the focus or exposure is different.
Yes, I noticed several issues in the comparison, and I stopped watching at 1m36s.
  • There was no description of the focus target or subject, or his focusing technique.
  • Comparing sharpness in a landscape scene at 70mm, f/2.8 doesn't make sense to me.
  • In the foreground area at 1:34-1:36, the Pentax image is clearly sharper, yet he claims "the Tamron blows the Pentax out of the water..."
Not surprisingly, a number of the comments below the video reflect a general mis-appreciation of several concepts concerning lens testing.

Sigh.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-01-2020 at 04:05 PM.
06-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aniket.pro Quote
First, as I can see, at least on the first comparison photo focus is just in different places, so we can't compare sharpness. Second: sharpness and microcontrast- its two different parameters. Pentax lens is sharp but it's microcontrast is not too high. And it's a good thing, because 70-200 is a lens mostly for portraits. I don't think models or retouchers will be happy to see all skin unevennesses. If you need microcontrast, you should buy macro lens.... or this tamron))) Overall in terms of perception, in this video comparison I like pentax pictures and don't like tamron's ones.
So, instead of being subjective, that's what the MTF curves are for ... see for the Pentax above.

The second pair of curves are the microcontrast curves - the MTF30 ones. You can compare with the acclaimed Nikon 70-200 in the diagram below. The Pentax has much more microcontrast in the centre, and with the Nikon getting better out at the extreme edges.
Attached Images

06-02-2020, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Yes, I noticed several issues in the comparison, and I stopped watching at 1m36s.
  • There was no description of the focus target or subject, or his focusing technique.
  • Comparing sharpness in a landscape scene at 70mm, f/2.8 doesn't make sense to me.
  • In the foreground area at 1:34-1:36, the Pentax image is clearly sharper, yet he claims "the Tamron blows the Pentax out of the water..."
Not surprisingly, a number of the comments below the video reflect a general mis-appreciation of several concepts concerning lens testing.

Sigh.

- Craig
Sigh indeed.

Also, if anyone think that photography should be somehing that you jus point your camera at there and squeese button, and you have the image! They should definetly just buy Tamron, and perhaps that Sony, because, it is propably going to get you there, and you will save some money. Some cameras do more of that 'magic' for you.

Out of box shootin the way this guy does, that is better combo for him.

I'm happy with what I have, even if I have to go through some more trouble to make it sing for me, like actually look at where it is focused..