Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

D FA 24-70 2.8 question

Hi there!
I’ve just got my first zoom for my K1 and I’m getting to know with it...

It’s superb lens, love the image quality (though It had to be callibrated for -5), it’s a tiny little bit softish at 2.8, but still better than 50mm macro and hd fa 35.

But after long walk I realized that when playing with zoom ring it has a little move in it, similar to this:

It zooms flawlessly, with pleasant feel but all my other lenses don’t seem to have such... mobility.

Is it common or should I consider it as wrong fitting?

06-01-2020, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Mine is the same after a couple years now. Just observe wether it gets worse.
06-01-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #3

Bought mine used on Adorama so I can't speak of it's history (it looks new). I don't notice any play in the focus ring.

06-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Bought mine used on Adorama so I can't speak of it's history (it looks new). I don't notice any play in the focus ring.
This movement is in zoom ring, focus ring is not affected.

Mine was new, it came two days ago, so it’s not usual wear of the lens... I’ll look at it and return it gets worse...

Last edited by JerzyJ; 06-01-2020 at 09:47 AM.
06-01-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Mine has the same looseness in the zoom ring. I'm disappointed after spending $ 1200 CAD...on sale..for it. I plan to send it in to get it fixed, while it is still on the one year Pentax warranty. Image quality is fine, but not any better than the 28-105.

My Pentax 28-105 does not have any looseness and is an excellent lens. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't of bought the 24-70. I bought it because of the F 2.8 and the 24mm end of things, but with today's great resolution at high ISO, I don't think I realy needed it.
06-01-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by JerzyJ Quote
This movement is in zoom ring, focus ring is not affected.
Right, I meant zoom. I didn't check the focus ring. I still consider myself new so I won't add my opinions. Others can give better, more useful advice from experience.

06-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Mine has the same looseness in the zoom ring. I'm disappointed after spending $ 1200 CAD...on sale..for it. I plan to send it in to get it fixed, while it is still on the one year Pentax warranty. Image quality is fine, but not any better than the 28-105.

My Pentax 28-105 does not have any looseness and is an excellent lens. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't of bought the 24-70. I bought it because of the F 2.8 and the 24mm end of things, but with today's great resolution at high ISO, I don't think I realy needed it.

Sad to hear that you are disappointed with it... as I asked few people I know who has the same lens it seems from their responses that this shake/wobble/looseness is not uncommon in this lens... as for now it doesnt seem to cripple its zooming function, and in normal use is merely noticable, so guess I won’t be fixing it anytime soon -unless more users here will tell it’s not normal with their copies. I had similar play in my DAL 50-200 but thats a kit lens, I dont expect those two to be quality comparable...

06-01-2020, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens is made in Japan, which suggests Tamron actually assemble it themselves (it;s a rebadge with modifications, of course) - so is this typical of Tamron lenses? I don't have any purebreds..

There's play in mine, as well
06-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sad to hear that you are disappointed with it... as I asked few people I know who has the same lens it seems from their responses that this shake/wobble/looseness is not uncommon in this lens... as for now it doesnt seem to cripple its zooming function, and in normal use is merely noticable, so guess I won’t be fixing it anytime soon -unless more users here will tell it’s not normal with their copies. I had similar play in my DAL 50-200 but thats a kit lens, I dont expect those two to be quality comparable...
One thing to consider. Better to get the lens fixed, while it's under Pentax warranty, rather then letting it go and finding out the 'wobble' get worse after warranty is up...an then any fix is on your dime.
06-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One thing to consider. Better to get the lens fixed, while it's under Pentax warranty, rather then letting it go and finding out the 'wobble' get worse after warranty is up...an then any fix is on your dime.
We have two years warranty here in Poland, and I additionally bought two year insurance for that lens

All this topic is to check if lens even needs to be fixed. It seems that some play in zoom ring is comon and can be considered as design related, not bad fitting or faulty quality control.

Last edited by JerzyJ; 06-03-2020 at 01:10 AM.
06-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
Right, I meant zoom. I didn't check the focus ring. I still consider myself new so I won't add my opinions. Others can give better, more useful advice from experience.
Thank you for your help!
Mine is firm and without any slightest play when locked, at 24-35mm wobbling is merely noticable and getting worse at 50-70mm.
06-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #12

Thank you for your help!

Mine is firm and without any slightest play when locked, at 24-35mm wobbling is merely noticable and getting worse at 50-70mm.
I looked again... Unlocked this time. Mine does have play and it does get worse as it approaches 70mm. But we're talking a fraction of a mm movement at its worst (I can't see it move, just feel it). Feels like just enough movement to prevent it from sticking. I would have never noticed if you didn't say something. Thanks.

06-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #13

Original Poster
I looked again... Unlocked this time. Mine does have play and it does get worse as it approaches 70mm. But we're talking a fraction of a mm movement at its worst (I can't see it move, just feel it). Feels like just enough movement to prevent it from sticking. I would have never noticed if you didn't say something.
Thanks.
Whoops, sorry! Yes, it’s about 0,5 mm or less in every direction...
so it seems thats completely normal
06-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't understand why noticeable play in any lens control - or the notorious barrel wobble so common today - is "normal."
06-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't understand why noticeable play in any lens control - or the notorious barrel wobble so common today - is "normal."
As long as it’s common, it won’t affect lens performance, durability and handling, and it’s related to design, and not poor manufacturing, it is normal. I’m not an engineer and I don’t even know if its justified by lens construction, but everyone who responded here and all people I know have some play in zoom ring in this lens. I’ve emailed local Ricoh/Pentax warranty repairman to ask about it. Still waiting for response.