Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 Macro LBA

When I first started out looking for a macro lens this is the one I originally wanted but every time it popped up on the bay it went for some ridiculous price. Its rated as on of the top macro lenses at photodo as 4.6.
Anyway, I have found one selling for $200 without the extender. LBA has reared its ugly head. I could sell my Sigma but not sure if thats a good idea. I don't mind the manual focus thing, but I like the 1:1 when I need it.

Is this lens as stellar as its made out to be. I know everyone says its the same lens as the Vivitar S1 90.

I just don't know if the trade off will be worth it. I love my Sigma, its easy to use and bokeh is creamy smooth.

Heeellllp!

11-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #2

Hello fellow Seattlite! I saw the same listing as you and I think US$200 is a fair price. Not only is this lens sharp, it is also known for its brokeh. I just got one myself online and I can't wait to try it out. How often do with get to buy one of the sharpest lens ever made anyways.
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Is it an auction? If so, the price will be decided in the last 30s, and these generally sell for quite a fair bit more.

I have the Vivitar version of this lens (by Tokina), which I hear is actually a better physical build, and I would not sell it for $200 (maybe $300...). I don't have the extender, but I've used close-up filters and macro tubes to get past 1:2 when I've really needed it, which has been almost never.

And yes, it's scary sharp
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #4

Since you'd recoup or even make some money if you decide to sell, maybe you could pick it up, compare to Sigma and then decide. All the photos I've seen from the Tokina 90/2.5 AT-X have been magnificent.

11-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the Tokina extender with the Vivitar lens. It works well, but like Mis, I hardly use it. The Viv lens does have a better build than the Tokina extender which I would assume matches the tokina lens. At $200, I agree with leeak, that the lens is a fair price.

The Vivitar version is fantastic and I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Tokina. If you do get the lens and really want 1:1, let me know
11-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #6

As I am waiting for the arrival of my Tokina 90mm, I came across this review:

[review] ----- Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro [Page 1]: Nikon D90 - D40 Forum: Digital Photography Review

It amazes me that glass this old can be this good. Hopefully it arrives in good shape.<fingers crossed>
11-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
As I am waiting for the arrival of my Tokina 90mm, I came across this review:

[review] ----- Tokina 90mm f/2.5 Macro [Page 1]: Nikon D90 - D40 Forum: Digital Photography Review

It amazes me that glass this old can be this good. Hopefully it arrives in good shape.<fingers crossed>
That is a classic review

I really like the old manual-focus Tokina lenses (haven't used any of their new stuff). Build is superlative, focus rings are butter-smooth and IQ is just perfect. I've had a few of their older zooms by now, and I hated having to sell them (but I'm still holding on to the 28-70mm f/2.8-4.3).

10-04-2010, 05:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought one that should arrive the day after tomorrow and I cant stop my own drewling...... 2 day before I actualy get it.

I got the PK/A version but without the Macro Extension tube. I will use extension tubes with the A connection anyways. Just so very very glad I won the auction. Paid about 190 euro including shipping. Hope its in at least decent condition.

I have a small bunch of different macro lenses but the one I prefer, until I get the Tokina, is my Tamron SP 35-80. Its amazingly sharp ad gets me close enough with a 21mm tube ibetween.
I have owned but sold a Pentax SMC M 100/4 Macro, Pentax SMC A 50/2.8 Macro and a Sigma 50 2.8 Macro AF but none of them takes pictures like the Tamron SP 35-80 so comparing that with the egendary Bokina will be very interesting. Has anyone compared any of these already?
I also have a Micro Nikkor-P 55mm 3.5 which is very nice as a 55 prime but not so impressive as a macro.
10-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations, I saw you buy it. I own the non-A version (with extender), and watched the auction to see what it might be worth. I haven't used it much, because I find it a bit heavy, therefore preferring the Pentax A100/4. But I am sometimes reminded that I really should try it out more. (I've currently lent it to a friend though.)

(For those wondering why I own it without much interest in it, the answer should be obvious. It came with a camera of course. Plus you can never have to many macros.)
10-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
I got the PK/A version but without the Macro Extension tube. I will use extension tubes with the A connection anyways.
Just FYI, the 1:1 adapter is not just an extension tube... it's a hefty piece of optics designed to match the lens.
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Anyone who has a chance to buy this lens at a reasonable price should do so. It is marvelous.
10-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Anyone who has a chance to buy this lens at a reasonable price should do so. It is marvelous.
YUP ! you said it Nick !
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Just FYI, the 1:1 adapter is not just an extension tube... it's a hefty piece of optics designed to match the lens.
oops. Totally missed this thread and the replies. Seems this forums isnt notifying me as it should.

And yes I know it is a big piece of glass that should double the size without, some how, changine the stops.
I also know that it will be virtually impossible for me to find the macro extender for sale without the lens so I gave that up. Ill just have to face it. Extension tubes or reversed 50s on top has to do...

But the lens is pretty much fantastic on its own too.
No bugs in Sweden this time of year so I will have to wait til spring for field tests

To Drougge. Lol. Didnt know I was being watched while nicking it on that auction
There was a Canon FD version with the Macro Extender auctioned the other day for as little as 70 euros and I had a weird dream that I could by it and somehow convert the macro extender to PK/A...... But I realised it was only a dream ....However wet it may have been...
01-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey guys, I picked up this lens recently as well (in KA mount no less). Sad thing is it doesn't have all the accessories (case, hood, extender).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hood for this lens? I sadly can't find a copy of the original.
01-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hey guys, I picked up this lens recently as well (in KA mount no less). Sad thing is it doesn't have all the accessories (case, hood, extender).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hood for this lens? I sadly can't find a copy of the original.
Congrats. Thats one hell of a lens Even without the extender.

I have seen the original hood once but lost that bid
Now I use a generic rubber hood at the moment and it works ok.