Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correct way to store Spotmatic Lenses with hoods in their cases

should they be right side up or upside down, and should the hood go on the lens, and the cap go on the hood, or should the cap go on the lens, and the hood over the cap?

06-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do mine mount end down, hood on lens inverted, cap on hood. Sometimes the hood is a tight fit in the case.
06-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just realized that putting hood on cap doesn't actually fit, just saw a picture online without trying it myself, so one question gone.
06-06-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The dedicated hoods I have don't fit in the cases. As for the lens and cap, I put the lens into the case, snout first with cap on. (Existing indent patterns on the case lid are often a clue.)

Steve

06-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I store mine with the front facing down, and cap on whether they have a case or not. If they are too long to stand upright in my home made dehumidifier they are then laid on their side.
All of my collection is stored in converted gless two door drinks fridges with dehumidifying units mounted in the back wall to maintain a relative humidity of around fifty percent.

Regards,
Gordon.
06-07-2020, 03:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. I don't store mine in their cases, the cases are usually either falling apart or disintegrating into fine dust particles which would find their way into the lenses.

I store mine in one of those DIY screw tidy enclosures with moveable dividers, either mount side down or on their sides if they're too long. I put a sachet of indicator silica gel in each compartment. I store the hoods separately unless I don't have a lens cap where I keep the hood on the lens.
06-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep mine set on "auto" or the aperture ring set to the max aperture so the springs are not stored under tension.
06-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If they've survived since the 70s any which way I wouldn't stress about it too much!

06-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If they've survived since the 70s any which way I wouldn't stress about it too much!
Simple logic carries the argument Tim. I totally agree. the older they are, the tougher they were built, and nothing before about 1990 had any electronics in it.