Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Vintage 50mm lens for BW portraits?

Looking for something which obviously is a good lens. But also if there is any lenses that are like...known for some kind of special thing about them. Which make the photos ”special” due to the lens.

A lens which will make Black and white photos a special feel about them.

Not sure how to descibe what i’m looking for here...

Is there any vintage lens that are affordable?

Is the SMC Pentax-M Asahi 50mm f/1.4 ”the one” or anything else that you would recommend?

For my K-70.

06-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MNB Quote
Looking for something which obviously is a good lens. But also if there is any lenses that are like...known for some kind of special thing about them. Which make the photos ”special” due to the lens.

Is the SMC Pentax-M Asahi 50mm f/1.4 ”the one” or anything else that you would recommend?

For my K-70.
Most of the vintage lenses are affordable, even autofocus in the F50/1.7. You may get as many different answers as responses on which lens. I haven't used enough 50s to say any are special. I had a couple Takumar 50/1.4 that did not seem anything special, BUT, I don't think I really knew how to use them, as I had them not long after I had a DSLR, I later had a Tak 55/1.8 which put out nice results. Personally I just don't use the 50mm focal length that much5, so I haven't kept many for very long. I currently have an F 50/1.7 and a Sigma Macro 50/2.8. The Sigma is manual focus with an A setting, and I use it quite a bit on occasion for close work. So a macro is another option, although I think you may be looking for pixie dust, the F may have a little of that, I'm always pleased with the results, but as I mentioned, not a real useful length for me in most cases, which maybe different for you, especially if you have a K-1. One thing to add, for any of them a hood will certainly help give more contrast and less flare for black and white shooting. And there are more than just Pentax, like Mamiya in M42 mounts, Ricoh, and others.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 06-07-2020 at 06:24 PM.
06-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look around the site. Many resources including:

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

If you browse YouTube there are a lot of vids on that Super Takumar and SMC F1.4 50mm lens. It is a good lens. It can be had pretty cheap. The Super Takumar hovers around $125 while the SMC hovers around $75. For a lens as good as these that is a good price. I cannot tell you how enhancing it is for B&W. That's your job. Pour a new cup of coffee, sit down in front of the computer and do a search for "pentax 1.4 50mm" in YouTube and see what those vids say. And really, for this kind of money how can you go wrong for such a good lens? This is a world-class lens that was designed to be better that Zeiss.

06-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax didn't make a bad 50. I suggest you go for a 1.4 or 1.7

The 1.4 are generally regarded higher than the 1.7. Go for the SMC "K" series or the slightly cheaper later M series, either 1.4 or 1.7. If you go for an A series you will get auto exposure but focus will still be manual. If you want AF then you need a F series or the later FA series.

The M and A series f2.0 50mm lenses are not well regarded (mainly because they are slow and soft wide open) although will still provide a very decent picture.

"Special feel" ?...... well that is your job
06-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hard to go wrong with a 50. The special lens talked about alot is the helios for cheap.
Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
There are many versions, i believe it is the 44-2 considered the most special followed by the 44-m.
06-08-2020, 02:14 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by MNB Quote

For my K-70.
Any Pentax 50mm F1.4 or 1.7 is a good one. In the film era you usually bought a camera with a 50mm. I do like the A 50mm F1.4 and the F 50mm F1.4 is even better than the A. I made a lot of portraits of children with the A one. Lovely skin tones and very sharp and still there was a soft quality that made those children look very friendly. The F version on the other hand, very sharp and very detailed. Great in the outdoors. Both I think very affordable now a days. The F version has a better build than the FA version.
Another amazing lens is the not vintage DA* 55mm. I own one because, I guess it was a stroke of luck, a new one was offered for a price less than that of the FA 50mm 1.4. And as I have APS-C camera's it works very well on these.
The M 50mm F1.7 is also a very good lens, I own two of them, one came with the LX and the other with an ME Super and I cannot recall why I did not trade it in.
Prime lenses, however, ask a bit more from the photographer than a zoom does. After using zooms for a long time you have to adapt yourself to the single focal length.

06-08-2020, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I personally really like the SMC-M 50mm f/1.4. It was nice on the K-70 I previously owned and is nice on full-frame.
Bokeh is smooth and soft where it needs to be and the lens is sharp stopped down a little.
The SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 is also a strong lens for not a lot of money, but marginally slower. It still produces wonderful out-of-focus areas and is easy to find and handle, and typically inexpensive compared to some of the other options for a fast 50.
I'd suggest seeing if you could try the 50mm f/1.7 first, see how you get on with that and you can 'upgrade' to a f/1.4 in due course as the characteristics are, in my opinion, similar. Same goes for the SMC-K 55mm f/1.8 which shares a design with some of the Takumar 55mm's.
06-08-2020, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

As already said, there are no bad Pentax 50s. The M and A series f/2 variants are probably the worst but even they have their fans, but considering the very small price difference to go with an f/1.7 instead, the f/2s are not worth it.

I would add my vote for the M 50mm f/1.4 for portraits. Stop down to f/2.4 or f/2.8 for sharp results in the in-focus area while maintaining a good background blur.
06-08-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Hard to go wrong with a 50. The special lens talked about alot is the helios for cheap.
Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
There are many versions, i believe it is the 44-2 considered the most special followed by the 44-m.

The Helios-44 and it's variants is indeed a "different" lens and well regarded. Apart from the obvious necessity of needing an M42-PK adaptor, unless one is fortunate enough to find the almost fabled Helios-44K in PK mount, a couple of points to note.
i) : The early Helios-44-2 has a very narrow lens base, sufficiently slim to cause light leaks when used on an adaptor. Not a problem to work-around, but something to be aware of. Also the pre-set aperture mechanism is found a little confusing by some
ii) : I believe some of the later versions are "auto-aperture only". Again, not a major problem but something that will probably need to be "dealt with" unless only working wide-open.

The Helios-44M is indeed a good choice. A full-width base, so no light leaks and an A/M switch to control the aperture

Enjoy
06-08-2020, 05:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Personally , I love the SMC-K 55mm f1.8 for B&W photography. However for portraits its a bit too sharp at times.
06-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Pentax didn't make a bad 50. I suggest you go for a 1.4 or 1.7
Outside of the three element designs like the Domiplan is there any such thing as a bad 50mm? The Riconar 55/2.2 might be another example of bad...
06-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A truly bad 50? Probably not, no. Some might be not so great for OP's purpose but still a good lens; I would like to try an M 50 f4 Macro for general daylight walk-around use with film but f4 is going to make subject separation & challenging lighting a bit harder to deal with.

I have a couple Chinon 50's that might be good for this sort of thing, an f1.7 MC and an f1.9 SC. Both should do okay but Pentax's offerings are nicer. I think Ricoh managed to make a couple of dud 50's but they're probably not that bad and shooting with digital allows for some correction in post. I really should spend some time cleaning up the Chinons and put them through their paces at some point against the Pentax glass I have.
06-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the highly regarded 50/2 XR Rikenon...

Chris
06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Don't forget the highly regarded 50/2 XR Rikenon...

Chris
Actually the Ricoh Rikenon 50mm f2.0 (non-designated version) is also highly regarded. Glad to see another Ricoh fan !
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/ricoh-rikenon-50mm-f-2.html

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 06-08-2020 at 08:13 AM.