Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-200 2.8 with and without 2x TC

A quick pair of images, the first at 200mm and 2.8. The second taken from the same position and settings but adding a Sigma 2x TC. Note that the TC overexposes by about a stop and a half and I chose not to correct it so you can see the difference. I've been very surprised at how well the images hold with the TC.

EDIT: The images were obviously reversed. Sorry!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that depending on the camera body sigma lenses with TCs over expose due to the TC not correcting for the change in native aperture. This was first seriously noticed on the K10D due to the focusing screen. The same issue also applies on your camera with stopped down metering of legacy k mount lenses.

For the use of the TC you can set exposure compensation, but note flash compensation is also needed if you plan to use a flash together with the TC.

I have not noticed any serious issue on flagship bodies K7, K5 or K1 MKII with the lens plus TC but the K 10 it was really there as an issue.

There was a lot of discussion about manual lenses, and teleconverter when the K10;came out. It has abated inrecient years but not gone altogether
06-08-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A quick pair of images, the first at 200mm and 2.8. The second taken from the same position and settings but adding a Sigma 2x TC. Note that the TC overexposes by about a stop and a half and I chose not to correct it so you can see the difference. I've been very surprised at how well the images hold with the TC.

EDIT: The images were obviously reversed. Sorry!
Obviously not the same settings, as the TC shot is at 1/125s and the other at 1/1500s. Looks like Av mode was used, and it makes sense that the TC shot is a much slower exposure, as it loses two stops of light.

The reason the TC shot seems brighter, is most likely that the dark coloured chair takes up more of the frame, hence the metering system deciding that a brighter exposure is necessary for the scene.
06-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Obviously not the same settings, as the TC shot is at 1/125s and the other at 1/1500s. Looks like Av mode was used, and it makes sense that the TC shot is a much slower exposure, as it loses two stops of light.

The reason the TC shot seems brighter, is most likely that the dark coloured chair takes up more of the frame, hence the metering system deciding that a brighter exposure is necessary for the scene.
OOPS! Let me redo that one at the same settings.

For what it;s worth the TC always overexposes, and I've been setting exposure compensation at -1.5 which seems to level it out. For this test I did not, once again just to demo the difference, I'll add some shots tomorrow.

06-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let's try again Bertwert...
Sigma @200 2.8 with and without Sigma 2x teleconverter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-08-2020 at 04:37 PM.
06-08-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Change metering to spot. That will make exposure more consistent.
06-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Change metering to spot. That will make exposure more consistent.
Thanks Lowell.

06-09-2020, 05:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

chotto.
which version of the Sigma 70-200 is this?

the DG OS HSM? the EX DG?
06-09-2020, 05:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
chotto.
which version of the Sigma 70-200 is this?

the DG OS HSM? the EX DG?
EX DG.

I've read complaints about paint chipping, it's a nice looking very dark grey matte, but this one shows zero signs of it. The 2x TC has the identical finish and color. a perfect match, and I don't believe the HSM version is compatible with this TC anyway. In fact there are few lenses that will be usable with this TC. Lowell is more familiar with these and could answer with more authority.

I'm exceptionally pleased with how well this combo works as I expected much more in the way of image degradation and auto-focusing issues than I'm seeing. I've never used a 2x before that was worth even bothering with until this.