Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What do you think?

I want to make a offer on this lens and was wondering what do you guys think? There isn't much info to go on about buying one of these. I see in the lens reviews there is only one price listed and that was 2007 at 420.00
Do you guys think it could damage my K20D when mounted on a tripod? That is alot of weight being balanced on the tripod with the battery grip and all.
Thanks Guys
' Jack
ASAHI PENTAX TAKUMAR SMC 500mm f4.5 Fast Telephoto Lens - eBay (item 120322824002 end time Nov-22-08 09:16:22 PST)

11-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think sellers who need to use 24pt. bold red and black alternating fonts to get your attention on such a lens MIGHT be hiding something.
11-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I want to make a offer on this lens and was wondering what do you guys think? There isn't much info to go on about buying one of these. I see in the lens reviews there is only one price listed and that was 2007 at 420.00
Do you guys think it could damage my K20D when mounted on a tripod? That is alot of weight being balanced on the tripod with the battery grip and all.
[/url]
Don't be afraid of the weight as for its large aperture and build, the lens is surprisingly light weight. BUT the lens sports a very sturdy and useable tripod collar on its own. Otherwise it would be unusable, because th not only might the camera mount be damaged, but I really wouldn't excpect the tripod head to hold such a high torque.

The 500/4.5 is a very sharp lens, even fully open. I bought one in basically like new condition from KEH a year ago - and it is a newer modell and it was cheaper than the Buy it now price here! So, if you are not in a hurry, I would consider, searching a bit more, until you may find a cheaper offer.

But you should be aware, that this lens is awkward to use: You need a very strudy tripod and head to start with. I bought a gymbal head especially for this lens and I think, this is a wise investment for such a beast.

Focusing is slow, as the focusing thread is very long. The angle of view is equivalent to a 750mm lens on 35mm format, so it is even difficult to aim the lens at your subject. Especially when photographing moving objects, like birds, it is really hard work to get the bird in the center of your image and focus correctly and then step down (manually ofcourse) the lens and ...

I don't want to diminish the merrits of the lens, but since I got a Bigma, I hardly use the Pentax anymore, despite its advantage of roughly one full f-stop. It is a nice collectors item, anyway...

Ben