Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M-Lens vs M42 type

Hello.
Yesterday I took my trusty FA-80-320 to the airshow here in Alamo City,Texas,USA. since my lens has stopped commicating with the camera, I had to use the AEL exposure lock and manually adjust the correct exposure. Needless to say my results were inconsistant. This is a big disadvantage of the M-type lenses. The M-42 type gives up auto diapharm for AV mode auto exposure with exposure compenation. Since I use long lenses in bright light, auto diapharm isn't a big deal to me. I didn't want to invest big bucks to repair my 80-320, so I decide to modify it to work in both M42 and M modes. I carefully taped off all lens openings and drilled and milled a new detent hole in the mount flange. It is located 6mm before the standard detent hole. In this position the camera diapharm actuator doesn't contact the lens lever. See photo. Now I can use it both ways, but I really prefer the M42 position for better ease of use. After testing it around the house, I am a happy camper. I'm leaving right to go shoot the Blue Angeles this after noon.

Dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-02-2008 at 09:01 PM.
11-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I got the shots that I wanted and it was much easier using AV mode.

Dave
Attached Images

11-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seen a thread recently, where people actually cut off the diapharm lever on their M series lenses to allow AV mode. Well, my solution of drilling an extra latch hole in the bayonet allows you to still have both options. The new hole allows AV mode and the original hole gives auto diapharm with AEL(green button) exposure fuction. If you decided to change back later, a drop of solder or JB Weld will fill the new hole.

Dave
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Voe
Veteran Member

This is a very geniuos solution to a problem that was drawing me away from M lenses. Thanks for sharing!!

11-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Initially, you lost me Dave, but after re-reading your message the light finally came on. You modified your mount so that the lens is not fully seated. Cool idea.

Steve
11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Brilliant! I think I'll be doing this to several of my M lenses, then I can use AV on my MG and my GX-10.
11-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,
I'm glad that you guys like the dual detent idea. It sure makes life with my manual lenses more enjoyable. The only time that I need to open the appeture to focus is in low light with a flash. In those cases I usually use a fully auto lens anyway. Of course this idea won't work with lenses that lack an appetture ring.

Cheers, Dave