Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

28mm M 2.8 not focusing

I've had this 28mm M 2.8 lens for over 5 years. I went to use it on my MX the other day and I could not focus it. The focusing ring turns nicely but is like it has a close focus filter on it.

There is a little lever near the mount that I dont know what it's for but it doesn't seem to be in the correct position nor can I move it.

Any help? Photo to follow

06-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lever is the connection between the camera body and the lens aperture mechanism. If it's stuck, it means that the aperture is stuck. And if it's stuck in the wide open position, DOF (depth of field) is very shallow, and it's not easy to get an acceptable focus.
Another reason that a maual lens can't be focused well, is that one of the lens elements in the lens has come loose or put out of it's position, e g by a real bump. It' might be an easy fix, but probably not. If you shake the lens gently, can you hear someting loose inside?

Kjell
06-11-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
There is a little lever near the mount that I dont know what it's for but it doesn't seem to be in the correct position nor can I move it.
It sounds like there is a extension tube on the rear of your lens. Press the lever towards the camera and twist the lens off.

Steve
06-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It sounds like there is a extension tube on the rear of your lens. Press the lever towards the camera and twist the lens off.

Steve
Yes it focuses like that but there us not one on it.

06-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes it focuses like that but there us not one on it.
Add a photo and we will see what you are up against.

Steve
06-11-2020, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Steve you were totally correct. Now can you tell me when I used it with that lens😊

For pentene for Mu stupidity I should trade all my camera gear for either a non working Zenit or Kiev 88.

Thanks to everyone and specially to Steve.
06-11-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve you were totally correct. Now can you tell me when I used it with that lens😊

For pentene for Mu stupidity I should trade all my camera gear for either a non working Zenit or Kiev 88.

Thanks to everyone and specially to Steve.
I will take your GX680 in trade for a Zenit Automat I have on my shelf. It is in excellent like new condition except that shutter cock is does not "take".

Just kidding, of course. I'm glad to have been of assistance.

Steve
06-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Steve you were totally correct. Now can you tell me when I used it with that lens��
In which case the lever is probably actually the lens release button on the tube, which explains why you can't move it (from side to side). But you've figured that out by now

06-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear this worked out well. M lenses are not known to develop any problems. Ask me, I have quite a few. If they do, gravity and some hard surface is usually involved.

BTW my M28/2.8 is the lens I've had the longest. Got it new in 1986 and it is still going strong! It is the "rare" version that does not have the chrome ring. One day I will sell it on the bay for a fortune.