Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
(I'm thinking of you, the K85/1.8, for example), I'm never so sure, not so confident and perhaps not so good. And although I know it's a very good lens, and the 85mm focal length is fine, the K 85/1.8 and me never bonded
For me that is the DA 35/2.4 but I just never managed to get it to click with me so I tend to not use it, and thus begins the vicious cycle. I paid like $50ish for it used so the very sporadic use it sees I don't feel bad but I really should go out with it and give it some love one of these days and really learn it. However my new lens has been the one to enthrall me the most and it is a piece of gear that solved a very real problem I had. I finally now have the ability to do ultra wide astro shots.

06-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #62
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
For me that is the DA 35/2.4 but I just never managed to get it to click with me so I tend to not use it, and thus begins the vicious cycle. I paid like $50ish for it used so the very sporadic use it sees I don't feel bad but I really should go out with it and give it some love one of these days and really learn it. However my new lens has been the one to enthrall me the most and it is a piece of gear that solved a very real problem I had. I finally now have the ability to do ultra wide astro shots.
another lens I never connected with - and sold it....
06-16-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
What is interesting is that I should like it given how much I liked my 50 and 55mm lenses on my old Spotmatic and in most cases found that going to digital APS-C caused my preferences to shift by the crop factor. I basically lost interest in 50s on APS-C until I got the A 50/1.2 and fell in love with how it renders things so I think I just need to actually spend some time with the plastic fantastic and learn how it wants to be used. I've seen some very nice images shot with it that I have liked a lot so I think it is more me than the lens unless I have an exceptionally bad copy.
06-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #64
Pentaxian

What is interesting is that I should like it given how much I liked my 50 and 55mm lenses on my old Spotmatic and in most cases found that going to digital APS-C caused my preferences to shift by the crop factor. I basically lost interest in 50s on APS-C until I got the A 50/1.2 and fell in love with how it renders things so I think I just need to actually spend some time with the plastic fantastic and learn how it wants to be used. I've seen some very nice images shot with it that I have liked a lot so I think it is more me than the lens unless I have an exceptionally bad copy.
I just don't like the way it renders. And I've tested it against 6 other ways to get 35mm on APS-c. For web images, I actually prefer my FA 35-80 set at 35mm.

06-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #65
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a good copy of the DA35/2.4, just did not like it's rendering (similar to Norm)... I've since replaced it with a DA 35 Limited and love that little lens....
06-16-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've tested it against 6 other ways to get 35mm on APS-c. For web images, I actually prefer my FA 35-80 set at 35mm.
I've since replaced it with a DA 35 Limited and love that little lens....
Sounds like I need to throw money at the problem.
06-16-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

That 35 2.4 is the poster boy for lenses that test well, but produce images people don't seem too like. It does have it's supporters though, and if you like it, it's steal.

06-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That 35 2.4 is the poster boy for lenses that test well, but produce images people don't seem too like. It does have it's supporters though, and if you like it, it's steal.
Well at least it isn't just me then if I find I don't like it. I've never actually looked at how it tests so is it one of those lenses that is very clinical and thus boring? With the A 50/1.2 I like both how it behaves wide open so I can get that ethereal effect but also that once you get it past about f/1.8 or 2 you can get some great crunchy textures in the in focus area. I've found the 77 ltd is some what similar but no where near as soft and ethereal wide open but it does have a very nice softer feel wide open and then gets kind of crunchy but needs some more stopping down to get there.

As far as being a steal if you like how it renders I would have to agree as it almost isn't worth buying a used copy.
06-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #69
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or evaluate potential replacement lenses that will serve me better....

or find lenses with more character, more Art in them....
06-17-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same here. It's wasn't a lens for me.
06-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or evaluate potential replacement lenses that will serve me better....

or find lenses with more character, more Art in them....
Well any of those options do require throwing money at the problem as any replacement will likely run me more than the $50 or so I paid and would be able to get out of selling the 35/2.4.
06-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also bought and sold the da 35 f2.4. I much prefer the fa 35 f2. Granted it may all be in my head.
11-04-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
During the lock-down, with time on my hands, I did a review of my most successful lenses on Flickr.
@utak,

I just 'rediscovered' your videos. May I offer my congrats on the exceptionally well-produced and presented material? I love the content, the flow, and your presentation style.

You've re-energized me to use my Taks and other manual lenses more. My modest collection includes a near-mint S-M-C Tak 85/1.8, Auto-Tak 55/2, SMC Tak 50/1.4, as well as several great K's. I also have a 1950's Angénieux P1 90/1.8 in M42, which I really should use more often.

Thanks again for your excellent contribution!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.
11-04-2020, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Camera gear is an important factor. Two of my favourite lenses, my 10-17 fisheye and my 12-24 ...both Pentax are two of my favourite lenses....and then of course my '40's Leitz collapsible Elmar 50mm F 3/5. Perspective, angles, pixie dust...all sorts of things that come with these lenses...some objective, some subjective.

But composition is something you have or don't, something in your genes or something you can develop.

In the end even with all my fancy camera equipment, my daughter can frame a better composition with her cell phone than I can with my K1.
11-04-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I just 'rediscovered' your videos. May I offer my congrats on the exceptionally well-produced and presented material? I love the content, the flow, and your presentation style.
What he said ^ ^ ^. Good work @utak.

Steve